Menu

Summer plans 2021 for non-homeschoolers?

Howdy, what's cooking for your kids this summer?  Are your favorite camps back, and if so, do you plan to use them?  What about academic review / enrichment outside of camps?

I am happy to report that I found 3 weeks of June day camps for my 14yos.  Hopefully they don't get canceled.  They are:

• Wildlife vet camp.
  • Junior medical camp.
  • Culture camp.

I believe my kids will have sports and "band camp" (school marching band) through much of July and August.  We will also continue TKD, working toward 3rd dan belt tests in September.

I am looking into options for summer internships / volunteer positions in Kid1's interest area, but so far, I don't know if they're "on" this summer.  Kid2 will spend a lot of time helping at the horse barn, as she has for years.  And we'll have something going on with puppy training.

Our school system is offering some summer school options to make up for "Covid learning loss."  But as far as I can tell, at the high school level, these are only for kids who failed a class or one of the benchmark tests needed for graduation.  My kids will be taking some of those tests this spring, and while I hope they pass them, I'll be looking at summer school options if they don't.  I am also hoping the library reinstates its SAT practice / prep programs - mainly for my kids to see where they stand and what they need to work on.  (But I think this can also be done for free online.)

I was looking at some online options for math review, but most of them require the kids to be online during hours when they will be in camps or sports.  I am considering Mr. D, which would mostly work with our schedule afaik.  In addition, I have a lot of books and games and free / already purchased online stuff that we could use - I just have to be disciplined about it.  (Same comment for science - we should review the biology and chemistry related materials we already have.)

I'd like to get them to do some kind of writing also.  Maybe a journal project?  Maybe they will have summer prep work for honors English.  Summer assignments were canceled last year.

Not sure about literature.  In recent years, we've mainly just done audiobooks and read-alouds.  I'm trying to find out what books other kids their age have read for lit that my kids' school didn't do.  Bonus points if I also never read the books.  😛

We are also hoping to figure out some sort of road trip.  Wouldn't it be fun to rent an RV for a change?

• Like 1

My 16 yr old finished classes in mid April (graduation isn't until June), and is hoping to work this summer. If the marine bio camp that got cancelled last year happens, that may happen too. I'm assuming there will be some form of First year orientation, and we'll be loading up for dorm move in during August. I am hoping to take a family vacation towards the end of summer, too. 

• Like 1

My Ds will have a lot of time out of town, mostly 5-6 day camps:

church camp in NC

2 sessions of Scout camp 

youth group trip

When he’s here: swim team, football day camp, help at VBS, work at Publix, fishing, play at the pool. 

He’ll do some math review the three weeks or so before school starts, but I haven’t figured out quite what that will look like. Not me teaching, for sure! 

He reads without bring made to, thankfully. 

He’s challenging to parent lately, so a high activity level and time put of the house should make for a good break for our whole family.

Edited by ScoutTN

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a homeschooler, but sending my kiddo back to school next year, so can I chime in?

So, what I KNOW were going to do is do some weekly math to try to catch my kiddo up (he was in Special Ed in school, took him back out for a year this year, and made a lot of progress so I'm hoping to make just a little more in summer).   And he wants to learn sign language.   And both my teen boys need to learn to drive.   And my oldest just got accepted to a graphic design program and will be doing that this summer.

Camps...oh boy, haven't even planned that out.   I still need to ask my youngest what he might want to do.   Something outdoors.

Last year we did archery camp so maybe that again, and maybe something with Parkour or snorkling.   We'll see. 

• 3 weeks later...

My son is going to his grandparents for 6 weeks. There he will attend a brass band camp, go see the Grand Canyon, and probably some other adventures as well. At the end of the summer I am putting him in a Algebra 1 Boot camp to refresh his memory before he starts Algebra II next year.

My daughter has two weeks of horse camp. 1 week of AHG camp, possible mission trip through church, possible preteen camp through church, Swim Lessons (to get ready for the swim test for AHG camp), and will be at our Extended Day camp otherwise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the calendars for summer band & soccer, so things are looking clearer now.

Both girls are pretty booked for June and August, but we still have some room in the calendar for July.

I got them signed up for lifeguard training for June Sundays.  Our CPR/first aid class will be this coming Saturday.  I am planning to force them to do an online Red Cross babysitting course also, in prep for junior camp counselor type stuff, volunteering at church (Bible school / nursery), etc.  I believe they can also participate in dog training classes that I have lined up for June Saturdays.

One of their friends has joined our local rec center, so hopefully they can swim together when their schedules allow.

Their English teacher provided summer work, which means Mom won't have to push too much on literature / writing.

They won't be doing summer school, as we won't have the state test results in time to register.  I'm not sure they would let us anyway.  However, if they didn't pass the tests, they can re-take them in July, so in that case, there will be some cramming for a couple weeks.  Still looking at Mr. D's for geometry prep regardless.

Our library has come out with a series of brief online STEM classes which sound interesting, though I'm not sure what age group they are for.  We could participate in some of them, though many are during the daytime when we're busy.

Still working on lining up part-time volunteer/work stuff.  My eldest thinks she is too young to be forced to work (she says 15 is the right age for that).  😛  So I said I won't force her to work for pay, but if she doesn't get a job, she still has to do volunteer work.

• 3 weeks later...

The lifeguard course I signed the girls up for turned out to be for age 15+.  Not sure how I didn't know that, but anyhoo, they called me the day before and said forget it.  So hopefully next year.

I did sign up for Mr. D math.  It starts next week.  I hope I don't get too much push-back.  I looked at the first day's work, and it looks challenging for my kids, so we'll see how it goes.

Summer day camps so far have been good.  Plenty of science and health stuff.  They didn't really do labs in biology at school, presumably because of Covid, so this at least makes up for some of that.