Menu

Portable washer/dryer combos

heartlikealion

I’m looking at these portable washers with spinners. Most don’t fully dry the clothes, but they get them mostly dry. 

At least temporarily I’m losing my washer/dryer in the divorce. I don’t want to deal with laundry mats. I’m on a budget so don’t want to do the higher end ones. But, I’ll spring for a little higher price range if say one model requires you to move the hose twice during a cycle and another doesn’t. 

Frankly I’m confused by most of these products. They show people either using then in their shower/tub, hauling a bucket of water to fill the washer and then to place hose to drain or moving the machine next to a sink and barely reaching the sink with the hose. I actually will have washer/dryer hookups. I’m wondering if I can just hook it up there. But then maybe you have to unplug at the end of the cycle to drain, depending on how many hoses come with it. And many people say draining requires elevation so I’d have to prop the machine up. I probably wouldn’t be able to slide in in my washer cubby because it would stand too tall but I’d be able to set it close. I saw one guy bought a washer stand on wheels while another woman bought a cheap table. 

thoughts and recs appreciated... especially if you have BTDT. 

Ideally I’d like to spend under $200. I’ll hang dry a lot. And probably use a blow dryer on underwear lol 

Edited by heartlikealion

13 minutes ago, maize said:

If you will have washer/dryer hookups you can likely find a used washer and dryer for under $200. I think it is worth doing that. Dryers especially tend to be very cheap on the used market.

Yeah, put word out, check facebook/craigslist, etc. 

But I will say, when ours was broken for a few weeks I found the laundrymat not as bad as I remember at all! It was actually kind of nice - great big machines, super fast dryers compared to mine at home, etc. Mine even had outdoor machines under an overhang...when I could I used those and then sat in my car and read a book, lol. 

But also, I would put my clothes in, make a note of when they would be done, and run an errand close by as well. Come back and clothes were clean. And if you are willing to hang dry, you can just stay long enough to wash, and then take the damp stuff home to hang it up. Would probably be less than 30 minutes once a week. Otherwise, another 30 -40 minutes to dry. As long as one is close by, less hassle than switching hoses, hauling water, etc. 

• Like 3

If there is a reasonable chance you will get your set in the divorce, I would just tough it out at the laundry mat until you know for sure. Another option would be a Rent-A-Center type place. You could rent them and if you get your set, return the rented set. Or if you don't, just pay off the rented set when you know for sure you aren't getting your set back.  Otherwise, with a budget of $200-ish, I think used would be your best bet.

• Like 2

I’m double checking where the nearest one is. As far as things like Craigslist, those sites seldom work for our small town area. And given the size of these towns I guess I’m not optimistic I’d run into an individual offloading appliances. I’m in one Facebook group for the county but I seldom see anything I need. 

I’m not very willing lol I don’t have a truck and the majority of these types of places are an hour away. 
Rebt-A-Center type places, big box stores. I was looking at options that would deliver to my door (online shopping) or I could fold down my back seats for hauling a smaller box. I will ask around for someone with a truck if I have to, though. 

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I didn’t want to spend a lot of money because there’s still a chance I’ll get my original set back. I bought them before the marriage with my own money. 

I guess laundry mats seem a little less ideal during Covid, too 

yeah, I masked and then sat outside in my car usually.