Jump to content

Menu

Audiobook Rec, please?


Wilma
 Share

Recommended Posts

My family is fixing to have a big bike ride -- 240 miles spread over 6 days. It's going to be super fun for most of us, but a couple of our weaker riders would really benefit from an audiobook to speed the miles along. 

I'm thinking something epic and inspiring. We all loved Boys in the Boat. Leslie Connor's Crunch was also popular (we may listen to that one again, being bike related!). Seabiscuit was a hit. Can anyone point me to a great listen that would fit the occasion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s a dramatized version of Lord of the Rings that is very good, and long.  I think it was BBC.  It’s on audible, maybe check out a sample?

What about a book that references the area where you will be biking?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooh, LOTR would be fun! I like that idea. Thank you, Spryte. I'll look into a geographical fit book -- we one time read a biography of John Colter when we were up at Yellowstone and that was very cool (and nerdy).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Wilma said:

Ooh, LOTR would be fun! I like that idea. Thank you, Spryte. I'll look into a geographical fit book -- we one time read a biography of John Colter when we were up at Yellowstone and that was very cool (and nerdy).

I’m all for nerdy!  🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That sounds like an adventure! How old are your kids?

Given that you have liked similar books to me, you might like “The Autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr.” read by LaVar Burton, with some recordings of speeches by MLK.

If your kids are teens and you are ok with some swearing, this book had me in stitches: Bill Bryson “The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain”. I don’t remember how long it is, but probably not long enough for the entire bike ride.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's see, at the time of adventure they'll be 9, 11, 14 and 16. All daughters. I don't mind a little cussing here and there (we LOVE James Herriot, for example) - I will look into the Bill Bryson! MLK also sounds interesting. Thank you for the ideas!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Conn Iggulden's Genghis:  Birth of an Empire?  Whole series is fantastic.  

Oh, wait, just saw a 9 year old girl.  Maybe not.  

Actually, we listened to the whole Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow series when my kids were around 10-11, and they loved them.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Well it’s about running and not biking, but Born to Run is a great audiobook. We listened to it years ago and I still remember it. 

Great idea! I read Born to Run years ago, before I was into audiobooks, and I bet the kids would really enjoy it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Wilma said:

Let's see, at the time of adventure they'll be 9, 11, 14 and 16. All daughters. I don't mind a little cussing here and there (we LOVE James Herriot, for example) - I will look into the Bill Bryson! MLK also sounds interesting. Thank you for the ideas!

Given the ages of your kids, I would wait on Bill Bryson, it’s been a couple years since  I read it but it’s definitely more swearing that James Herriot. It’s also geared toward adults so the two younger girls may not get it. 
 

James Herriot was another book (really books) I was going to recommend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rachel said:

Given the ages of your kids, I would wait on Bill Bryson, it’s been a couple years since  I read it but it’s definitely more swearing that James Herriot. It’s also geared toward adults so the two younger girls may not get it. 
 

James Herriot was another book (really books) I was going to recommend. 

Ah, okay. Thanks for that heads up. I may just recommend Bill Bryson to the older girls.

James Herriot as an audiobook might be really fun - we've loved the print books, but if they are read with a fun accent that would definitely be a boost.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...