Menu

Online grocery order FAILS

7 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I'm too much of a control freak to even try it (though I would have to if anyone was sick). This would drive me crazy to have them not able to find stuff I'm pretty sure is really there, or have them problem solve an out-of-stock situation differently than I would. I'll change up produce decisions based on what looks good, shop the specials on the first aisle even if they're not on the list, remember that dd likes some particular thing when I see it on the shelf, etc.

These are the very reasons why I have never done online grocery store pick up and I don't plan on ever doing it if I can help it.  There is nothing appealing about it to me.

• Like 2

WalMart substituted stir fry sauce packets when I asked for wasabi paste.  As if Asian is all the same!

Mostly, WM has been good, but there is the time they forgot HALF my order!  And I was 30 minutes from home, in the summer.  I had placed a large order (well, normal for me), and they needed two carts but forgot to bring out the one that had all the perishables.  I was left with no complete meals for dinner, so I ended up going back to get it.  Now I double check.

Ordering from Aldi is better, though.  They text in real time, and I like that.  One day they texted to say they didn't have X but could substitute Y.  That was fine, and I was able to ask them to add an additional quantity of Y.  It's more like sending my husband or daughter shopping for me -- "they don't have this, but would this work instead?" rather than guessing.

I have noticed that recently that WM is more likely to refund than to try to sub.  Wonder if they've had too many complaints.

Every spring out garage gets overrun with mice and moles. We requested mouse traps, the regular snap kind. The first order we got sticky pads, which isn’t that strange but not what we wanted. So on the next order we put in the notes that if regular traps aren’t available, don’t substitute with sticky traps. We got RAT traps. They were huge! My husband was dying laughing wondering how he was going to catch a tiny mole in our garage with one of those. 

On 3/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, teachermom2834 said:

Y'all...I just want to say I cringe everytime my teen boy comes home from work at the grocery store and says he had to help with the curbside orders. He can hardly retrieve what I ask for from our own kitchen. Good kid. Hard worker. Math whiz. Does not need to be in charge of choosing produce or substitutions of any kind. 

This is the reason that when I order pickup, I chose during the day on a weekday. I’m much less likely to end up with a teenage boy, who doesn’t always work on that department, doing my picking. 😆

On 3/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, Annie G said:

We’ve never done curbside so I have a question- if you end up  with 8 boxes of raspberries, can you return them? I know you’d have to go into the store but can you return things you just don’t want? I’ve only returned defective stuff so I don’t know how that works.

Prior to Covid you could.  Currently my Kroger does not accept any returns, so they would tell you to donate or give them to someone. If they charged you for 8 boxes they would give you your money back though, they just wouldn’t want the raspberries back in the store. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ditto said:

These are the very reasons why I have never done online grocery store pick up and I don't plan on ever doing it if I can help it.  There is nothing appealing about it to me.

Me three. I actually enjoy grocery shopping. Well, I enjoy shopping at Aldi's and some at Krogers. I like to check sales and mark-downs. I make a list but keep a bit of room in the budget for any good mark-downs I might find. I do hate shopping at WalMart but it is a hassle to try and schedule a pick up around the schedule when I can't get a time that fits. When things were at the worst I did pick up but mostly have done in person shopping with a mask. I can be very efficient at shopping, especially at Aldi's. 2 weeks ago I timed myself- 15 minutes from the time I got out of the car to back in- full grocery trip for 6 people. I regularly get it done in 30 minutes or less.

• Like 4

I am a huge grocery control freak.  We get a CSA in the summer, I love pristine and gorgeous  produce especially and when I shop I do have a priority list for subbing or have a few recipes in mind and can swap, etc.  I don't know if I'd like grocery pick up every place but this local chain high end grocery using it's own in house shoppers is just doing an amazing job with substitutions and picking produce.  I fully expected to use it as little as possible and go back to shopping.  But I LOVE it.  And a year's membership was like $90. That paid for itself in $5 pick ups in a few months.  Groceries are more expensive here.  That said, the do have good sales/two-fers, etc if you watch you can stock up when those come around.  

Anyway  definitely not trying to convince anyone to come to the dark side.  Just saying we were pleasantly surprised grocery ordering has worked for this picky shopper.  

• Like 1

I've had good substitutions and what the heck were they thinking substitutions.   Here's a few.... I ordered a box of good and plenty they sub twizzlers.  I ordered 50 8 or 10 0z plastic cups sub 50. 5oz paper Dixie cups.  Mini cans of sprite sub 12 pack cans.

On 3/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, teachermom2834 said:

Y'all...I just want to say I cringe everytime my teen boy comes home from work at the grocery store and says he had to help with the curbside orders. He can hardly retrieve what I ask for from our own kitchen. Good kid. Hard worker. Math whiz. Does not need to be in charge of choosing produce or substitutions of any kind. 

Okay I feel bad for picking on my kid so I’m just going to mention here that they made him frozen manager. So hopefully that keeps him out of curbside picking. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I shop at one of the larger supermarket chains in the area, and they have an app that I had been using for years to do clip-less coupons in-store. When I started to order for delivery last spring, I found that the app had stored every single item I had purchased EVER, and I could search through my purchase history for reordering. That is awesome! Makes it so easy to reorder.

For substitutions, they have a button that you can click to accept/deny substitutions ahead of time, and they tell you exactly what the offered sub is for each item. They will sub things like two 4-packs of burgers for the 8-pack (at the cheaper price) if they need to (this happened last week).

The only mistakes that I've had in the past year were: once, I got a zucchini instead of a cucumber (I let it go) and, a few weeks ago, I got the regular-sized package of sausages instead of the  family-sized pack. I sent a note through the app, and they refunded the purchase price entirely.

I paid $30 for a 6-month delivery pass that gets me free delivery on T/W/Th each week. I have them delivered each Wednesday morning, before breakfast. It will also get the packing fee waived if a put in an order for pickup any day. I have used that a few times.