Menu

If you know you won't have enough money for college because of medical stuff . . .

cintinative

CLEP is free from modern states. With CLEP and dual credit, check to make sure how many credits you can have before you're ineligible for freshmen status and freshman merit aid. You could also possibly study for some CLEPs and take them after enrolling if you have too many credits.

https://modernstates.org

There is also the possibility of being an RA in the dorms. My daughter has a friend who is working her way through college, she took one semester off to earn a bit more money. You can also take some summer classes and work a bit more during the school year when businesses need more workers because everyone is in school. 

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 10:54 AM, Lori D. said:

Along the lines of @RootAnn's suggestion is a tuition-free school such as Berea (in KY), which has students working 15 hours/week throughout the year to cover their costs. It is smaller, so fewer degree options, and it is Christian, if that is pro or a con for your family. One of the families in our local homeschool group had a son go there (and graduate), and he really enjoyed his experience. (I don't know what degree he got or what he is doing now.)

College of the Ozarks is another option. They're a beautiful little campus and a really nice school, with a lot of great hands on experiences. They're not easy to get into, though. 

Another piece of advice I have is to look seriously at HBCUs. Many State HBCU's, especially, offer really good merit aid at lower score thresholds than other schools in the same state. One I really suggest checking out-Lincoln University (Missouri). Lincoln gives in-state tuition to residents of ANY state that adjoins Missouri, and then also gives decent institutional aid as well. They are a relatively diverse school as far as HBCU's go (the admissions director proudly told us that Lincoln desegregated in 1954), and are eligible for the HBCU specific grants like the 1890's grant from the USDA (a really awesome scholarship for kids majoring in agriculture related fields which not only is a full ride plus expenses, but provides paid internships with the USDA over the summer, and a close to guaranteed job after graduation if the student does not choose to go to grad school). I felt kind of disappointed that L decided it wasn't a good fit, because it's such a nice school. 

• Like 5

On 4/1/2021 at 5:26 AM, chiguirre said:

But, free is free, and ASU is certainly better than 99% of the online options.

One aspect of free-Starbucks-ASU is that Starbucks picks up the remaining bill *after* you've exhausted any federal financial aid. You only get 6 years max of federal financial aid for undergrad. Working enough hours to be eligible for benefits while also going to college often means taking lighter schedule. If you leave Starbucks and still want to go to college, you may have burnt away your financial aid eligibility.

• Like 3