Menu

Beverly Cleary passed away

Forget-Me-Not

28 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I love all her books, and her memoirs are two of my most favorite books ever.

Yes, I loved reading both A Girl from Yamhill and My Own Two Feet.  It was fun to see how much of her own life ended up in her books.

My favorite of her fictional books was The Luckiest Girl.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I feel sad seeing this, I didn’t realise she was so old.  The mouse and the motorcycle was one of my favourite books as a kid.

In her first memoir, she wrote about an early memory of hearing all the church bells in her town ringing at one time.  She said that, years later, she asked her mother what had happened that day.  Her mother told her it was the end of the First World War.

• Like 4

I was introduced to Ramona the Pest by one of my favorite teachers of all time, Mrs. Logan, in second grade. God bless her for reading those books to us. Also for end-of-the-day circle time and for the warm-fuzzies stories (literally stories about creatures called warm fuzzies) and for being the lovely human being she was. I will forever associate her and Beverly Cleary and Mr. Rogers all together in my heart.

My personal favorite as a kid was Ellen Tebbits.

Both of my kids loved Beverly Cleary, but my son in particular found a kindred spirit in Otis Spofford. Absolutely LOVED that character. Also feel in love with Henry and Ribsy. My daughter, true to form, adored Emily's Runaway Imagination.

What a treasure! May Beverly Cleary rest in peace.

• Like 1