Menu

Did anyone use FLL or WWE *with* Logic of English?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 7 year old who is finishing up first grade.   We have used Logic of English Foundations for kindergarten and first grade.  I LOVE the program, but I am not sure I am sold on how LOE teaches grammar and writing.   (I used FLL and WWE combined with AAS/AAR for my older set of kids which worked well, but I much prefer LOE to AAR/AAS.).  

I was thinking of adding First Language Lessons or Writing With Ease (or maybe both?) to Logic of English Essentials for 2nd grade (and skipping the grammar parts of LOE). Do you think that will work?  It is just making things more complicated than they need to be?  It sure is nice being able to use only one book for ALL of language arts.   

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t started yet, but next year for DD’s 2nd grade, we’ll finish Logic of English C and do D(probably???).  We’ll do WWE 1 ; and Spelling Workout (I’ve discovered I have an intense dislike for the spelling in LOE).  She’s reading so well though, that I’m not sure what the point of doing LOE D is...perhaps someone can enlighten me. 

15 hours ago, AngelaR said:

She’s reading so well though, that I’m not sure what the point of doing LOE D is...perhaps someone can enlighten me. 

No enlightenment here. I waffled about getting LoE D for just that reason but finally decided that I shouldn't drop it when A-C had worked so well. Meh. I wish I had trusted my instincts. LoE D has a very public school feel to me--not necessarily bad, just not what I want to teach right now or what's going to work for my DD5. There's a lot of emphasis on finding details and main ideas, and there's a ton of writing assignments like brochures, etc, so it's both too advanced for him in terms of written output and not interesting or fast enough in the reading. 

We're 25 lessons in to FLL1 so far it's been a great fit. It's verrrrrrry slow, but it's much easier to skip around and condense without feeling like I'm wasting 3/4 of the curriculum. I'm not an expert, but it does seems to me that if you're doing WWE1 and Spelling Workout, LoE would be redundant.     

• Thanks 1