Menu

Latin for 6th grade

I already own what I need for First Form Latin. I think I have the textbooks through 3rd Form also and would just maybe need to replace a workbook or two. But I feel like CAP has a much more engaging seeming program. We have been using Getting Started with Latin but the way we have our school set up, it has been difficult to maintain this. (as in, son walks off with the book and it will be missing, etc). I am open to continuing with GSWL and just making more effort to make him sit and do the work. I thought with First Form, there would be a concrete workbook to write in instead of the notebook he currently uses (and keeps walking off with). But I also know I should maybe make more effort. I wondered if it would be worth my money and time to invest in a different program that might be more interesting. Also, son does want to study Latin so this is not an issue where he does not want to study it. He is just a bit undisciplined and tends to wander and such.

I use CAP's Spanish and it's too much too quickly. I chose not to use their other language programs because of that. 

I've only known one person who can read and communicate in Latin fluently and she told me to start Oxford in 6th grade, so that's my plan. My eldest is in 4th.

• Like 1

We tried CAP Spanish and it was a big flop here. I speak Spanish, taught it at the college level, and my kids had taken some intro Spanish. That book was torture. Granted, my oldest was in 3rd grade at the time, but the bad taste persisted enough that this year (5th) he refused to consider CAP’s Greek for Children  and wanted MP’s beginning Greek instead. He likes MP’s Forms (finishing 2nd) bc they’re cleanly laid out and predictable, challenging enough but not too much, and don’t try and be fun (aka lame)—they take a serious subject seriously and makes it seem worth learning.

First Form revamped their WB to emphasize parsing, and my current 3rd grader is doing well with a page a day of WB and once a week class with me. 5th grader does a page a day and MPOA once a week and got a perfect score on the NLE with very little practice other than his regular class work, so we’ll stay the course. 

I'm using Latin for Children with my rising 5th grader and have used it with my graduates. The big kids also used Latin Alive. I can't compare it to the Form series though. We were going to do LFC with the 4th and 7th kids this year but.. I'll blame the pandemic for never getting it off the ground. 😜 

I enjoyed the weekly rhythm of LFC (with the big kids). Everyone knew what to do by the days of the week. IIRC...

Day 1 video, extra chants, general silliness

Day 2 read the lesson together, chants, one activity page

Day 3 worksheet, chant

Day 4, other two activity pages, chant

Day 5, quiz

(Hub would compete with them for who was better at that week's words.)

The rising 8th is going to use Latin for Common Entrance from Galore Park. She hasn't taken Latin since Song School in lower elementary, and this one felt like a good middle ground between traditional textbooks and more "fun" programs. I didn't choose Latin Alive because the extra study to memorize the vocab isn't built in, you have to do it on the side. While she's fully capable of this, Galore Park appears to have more practice throughout the lessons. (Latin Alive was well loved and efficient for my Marine however. She actually mentioned it a few calls ago. If the the rising 8th was coming from LFC she'd probably be going with LA.)

I started Henle with my 6th grader this year. He's doing well! We use the Memoria Press teacher's guide. YMMV. This kid is a natural at grammar (he's working through GWTM for the second time), so Latin is coming pretty easily to him.

Henle is a great program with excellent grammar training and more reading practice than the Forms. He will probably enjoy it and find the content interesting. (Some 6th graders might need to go a bit more slowly than older students.)

Bonnie

I have looked at the MP latin programs, and I have used LFC primers A and B with my oldest and Song School Latin 1 and 2 with younger kids. Our plan is to do one Primer per 2 years (3-4, 5-6, 7-8) and then a high school program. That is a bit slow but we take a break and study Greek in the spring around March to May. I have noticed it was harder on my son doing Primer A -- he is doing very well in B now and working more confidently and quickly now that he is older and has more latin under his belt.

As to MP vs CAP, my experience is that people naturally fall into one of two camps:

Camp 1 says: MP has clean, distraction-free pages. It is consistent and makes it easy for the student to know what to do every day. It is rigorous. It may not be "fun" but kids get joy out of learning and mastering a difficult subject, not by lame attempts to be funny or to pretend a serious subject is fun instead of serious, as CAP seems to do, which doesn't really respect kids as persons who don't need to be talked down to. When adults pick up a book, they don't need someone to try to make it fun for them.

Camp 2 says: MP seems to be deliberately as dry as possible and really makes it hard to get kids engaged with it instead of just forcing them to do it because they have to. CAP's minimal attempts to use a few pictures, a little color, and a small storyline woven through the lessons isn't really a "lame joke," it's just a slightly more engaging and creative method. Lessons actually can be enjoyable and respect the child as a person by understanding that they might like a little enthusiasm and interest, as they aren't robots or computers. When adults pick up a book, it isn't uncommon to see a few pictures or interesting anecdotes, and no one suggests that a book by Malcolm Gladwell or Tim Harford is too interesting to be educational. 

(You can tell which camp I'm in.)

In any event, the main issue of the OP, it seems, is not getting it done and the child kind of losing interest. I wonder if DVD lessons can help with this? He watches the video and listens to the cd, or you can do it together. That way no one is waiting for mom to teach it when both have time for it. 

The issue of his getting out of doing it could be a curriculum fit problem, or a discipline problem. Sometimes a program just isn't a good fit, and finding a program the child likes better could work wonders. Other times, the child just needs to be given his assignments and a clear expectation that he must do his work or there will be consequences, that he can't have screens, etc. until done. If you are in the MP camp all the way, you usually think it's always a discipline problem because kids don't like rigorous things and if it's fun it's because you're probably not working very hard. (Apologies if people disagree, but this is a common view in the MP forum.) Outside the MP camp, we often have fun with our subjects, and getting a kid engaged and enjoying even hard subjects is kind of why we HS at all. I would show him some other program options, including MP, CAP, Hey Andrew, Latin's not so tough, etc and see what he thinks. You can view samples online and even usually samples of the video lessons. Give him buy in, if he wants it.

We have used Latin's Not So Tough for middle schoolers after GSWL, and I like it okay.  I used it with my older two.  I really like CAP's Latin Alive, but it's too fast for early middle school IMO, without enough vocabulary review.  I am planning to use Keep Going With Latin with my rising seventh grader, as we've been taking GSWL nice and slow (mainly because he prefers GSWFrench), and then I'll try Latin Alive; if that doesn't work, then I'll probably try LNST because I have it already.