Menu

Is it too childish to wear this dress ?

I do not know anything about a dress. I hardly wear one. The last time I regularly wore one, I was under 11. Mine were beautiful and mostly home sewn. Big puffy sleeves, made of cotton, had tiers and were hand smocked by my maternal grandmother. They all twirled. So every Easter I take a look at dresses and cannot find one I like. They are all too something, never just right.

I was looking and found this dress. It has everything I grew up with. I love it. This is called a nap dress. All the models are more young women. I am middle aged. Is it too childish for a middle aged woman to wear ? Would you ? Thank you. 

image.thumb.png.59b845bad5c8de208eb861ce7af90ee8.png

• Like 5

I would absolutely wear it. I’m not a huge fan of the smocking because of what I’ve got going on in that area but I say go for it!

I’m 48. I bought and wore several similar dresses last summer when I was on a jury.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Thanks 1

I think those are very in or in the last year they were.  Hey I am of the thought of wear what you want to.  YOLO.   My fashion sense has always been horrible and everything that I look at I feel looks nuts on me so I don't try.  Jeans and t-shirt are my comfy spot.  Well now t-shirts and yoga pants. 

• Thanks 1

I think it is cute and looks comfy.  I do not think it is too childish at all.  It would be the type of dress I would expect many of the women in my area to be wearing.

• Thanks 1

Honestly I would never wear this,not my style at all, and I could not stand the smocking!  

All that said, it this fits your personality and you love it, then get it!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you ladies.

I do not know what is age appropriate and I was afraid of being to borrow a classic British phrase,  look like mutton dressed as lamb. I was a bit hesitant because it had everything I loved as a child in a frock, except this seems like a grown up version. Too good to be true. 

I shall buy this as my Easter dress. 

Thanks once again.

• Like 13
8 minutes ago, MercyA said:

No, not too childish. It's lovely. If it was in a shorter length I might hesitate, but I think you will look beautiful. 

Thank you. This is the dress I wanted. It is white, made of swiss dotted cotton but it is too short, so eliminated. I had almost the exact same dress as a child, it is a bit freaky. I am rather embarrassed to be liking this still as a middle aged woman but this is my dress style. I am not comfortable wearing the sleek, form fitting slip dresses. 

image.thumb.png.0c78255c894b671cfe0599f1fb3925fb.png

• Like 2

I've always said that one of the wonderful things about being an adult is that I do not have to justify my reading decisions to anybody.

The same goes for clothing. If you want to wear this dress, do it! Nobody can dictate your wardrobe any longer.

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I am rather embarrassed to be liking this still as a middle aged woman but this is my dress style.

There is no reason at all to be embarrassed!  I love when people have their own style.  If we all wore the same things it would be pretty boring.  🙂

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I've always said that one of the wonderful things about being an adult is that I do not have to justify my reading decisions to anybody.

The same goes for clothing. If you want to wear this dress, do it! Nobody can dictate your wardrobe any longer.

I shall remember this when I wear this dress ! 

39 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Thank you. This is the dress I wanted. It is white, made of swiss dotted cotton but it is too short, so eliminated. I had almost the exact same dress as a child, it is a bit freaky. I am rather embarrassed to be liking this still as a middle aged woman but this is my dress style. I am not comfortable wearing the sleek, form fitting slip dresses. 

image.thumb.png.0c78255c894b671cfe0599f1fb3925fb.png

It’s gorgeous and as someone who admires ruffled and shirred things on other people but only feels right in minimalist stuff, I say wear it for me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Katy said:

It’s gorgeous and as someone who admires ruffled and shirred things on other people but only feels right in minimalist stuff, I say wear it for me!

Thank you. 

I am very minimalist with pants. Mostly black pants, both formal and non-formal. Pastel blouses. No prints, frills or flounces. But with dresses I am all about tiers and flounces and puff sleeves. Exactly like I loved as a child. 😂

• Like 3

I think it is pretty and will be just fine for you to wear.  As for the second one (the white one) that you really wanted but is too short, what about wearing leggings underneath it?   With leggings and some ballet flats it would be so pretty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

I absolutely love flowing, feminine, comfortable dresses! Nothing *whatsoever* to be embarrassed about. Wear them every day if you like!!!

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I absolutely love flowing, feminine, comfortable dresses! Nothing *whatsoever* to be embarrassed about. Wear them every day if you like!!!

I am a clumsy person with zero grace.

So while I love soft, flowing, feminine dresses and cotton or silk saris, I cannot carry them with elegance or wear them regularly. I am more suited for shorts and hoodies in every day life.  But I love wearing saris for special occasions and I have wonderful memories of wearing dresses so trying to get more of that going. 

• Like 1

I just watched through two seasons of Dream Home Makeover on Netflix, and I can tell you the girl there https://www.mcgeeandco.com/pages/about-us  wore TONS of poof sleeve dresses and shirts! Now she was in Utah, so the necks were typically high. But still, I think if you're asking if they're "in" yes. I would probably go with the dress over the top, just from what I've been seeing. It seems like dresses are really in right now and that blue is completely adorable.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a beautiful dress, very similar to things I might wear. I would only worry if the neckline was large enough I'd be messing with bra straps all the time to keep them hidden.

But then I don't care what other people decree the fashion to be. Only if I'm comfortable in a dress. (Which includes things like fabric, how hard it is to clean, if I'm tripping on the length or worrying about showing things I don't want to show)

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

That's a beautiful dress, very similar to things I might wear. I would only worry if the neckline was large enough I'd be messing with bra straps all the time to keep them hidden.

Thanks. Good point. I have bras with straps that can be temporarily removed. I generally wear them if needed. 

I saw a woman at an outdoor church service yesterday wearing a dress like this.  She wore it over a nice navy blue short-sleeve shirt with lace details on the arms.  I thought it looked very nice.  I don’t know if she was going for more coverage or if she thought she would be cold without it.  

• Like 1
On 3/24/2021 at 1:47 PM, Dreamergal said:

image.thumb.png.59b845bad5c8de208eb861ce7af90ee8.png

I saw this and thought of this thread

(ETA: Women size L at Nordstrom Rack)

522D2130-7D08-4A51-BC2D-D064B3DC115C.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1