Menu

Spin off- wedding gifts that you still use?

After 14 years, we still use the Fiesta ware. We got so many bathroom towels, and many of them are still in very good shape. All of the kitchen towels are long gone, though, worn out. Steak knives and a nice knife are still in use, but two sets of cheap knives are long gone.  A set of Pyrex dishes we still have most of, and a Pyrex measuring cup. A tea pitcher, crock pot, mixing bowls. The furniture we bought with wedding cash is still going strong.

My home church and DH’s home church both threw showers, plus the gifts at the actual wedding, so there were a lot of things that were duplicates (2 electric skillets, 2 or 3 sets of Pyrex, measuring cups galore). We returned some things, but some things didn’t have receipts, and we didn’t know where they came from, so we just had all this stuff. I appreciated the thought, but it was overwhelming. I try to either go with something on the registry and make sure the receipt is with it, or go with cash because of this.

I did really appreciate the mixing bowl ser, though, so I went off registry to get SIL a set in her favorite color, plus a bread cookbook, since I knew she wanted to get into bread baking. The bowls I know they used, but the cookbook maybe not so much. 

• Like 1

I have a number of things I still use that I got when we were married 25 years ago, but the standout is probably a pair of air cookie sheets.  I liked most of my wedding gifts, even things that were not selected from the registry.  

• Like 1

I am much older than most of you.  My first wedding was 38 years ago.  I can't think of anything I still have from gifts we received.  My cedar chest was a wedding gift from my mother and I still use that.  But many many of our gifts lasted for years. 

From current marriage which will be 11 years this fall......my husband's sister gave us several drawer organizers for silverware.  I use those still and think of her often.  My mind is just blank as to other gifts we received.  

• Like 1

OH!  I just remembered—a cousin who I had not communicated with in a long time gave us the Martha Stewart ‘Entertaining’ cookbook.  This was before MS was popular or well known, and it was an absolutely fantastic cookbook that gave me some great new recipes and opened my eyes to an entirely new but very appropriate for us approach to having folks over.  The combo of that gift and of realizing that this cousin had moved back into the area (a long story) prompted me to get in touch with her again after quite a few years, and we stayed in contact and developed somewhat of a friendship.  This was a really nice ancillary benefit of the wedding actually.

• Like 3

We had a tiny wedding, but still have an art piece that a long-time friend gave us.  And the salad spinner that my close college friend gave as a joke is still going strong.

One silver tray, given to me by my best friend’s Mom... She had received it at her wedding.  I still treasure it, because she took the time to think of me, pack and ship it.  My best friend passed before Dh and I got married, so this meant more than I can say.

My mother passed on a lot of family things at the time, too, so silver, drinkware, and china from great grandparents - most of which stays packed away.

Our other gifts were cash, which helped in those early years, but I’m another who enjoyed the actual gifts.  Everyone at our wedding really knew us well, so there were no duds.  We were not registered anywhere.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

It’s funny because while I said we don’t have much from the wedding 25 years ago it isn’t because our gifts were bad. I think we used all of them initially because we really had nothing. I think my family is just a Walmart crowd. No one was going to purchase a hand mixer that would still be going decades later. But those things really were appreciated and used at the time and helped us get started. They were appropriate from both the side of the giver and receiver. They just weren’t lifetime quality. 

We actually had a good mix of items off the registry, unsolicited random things, and cash. We were so poor that there really wasn’t much that we would say wasn’t our taste. We didn’t have the luxury of having developed a taste. Lol. 

Oh I do still have one thing. My MIL was insistent she buy us Tupperware even though I didn’t really want it. She was insistent I pick something out. I got a Tupperware colander. I still use it but I hate it. It is big and clumsy and has a long handle so it doesn’t even sit in the sink without tipping over. And the hot water from draining pasta collects in the handle and you have to be careful not to burn yourself. But I did pick it out- I just was too inexperienced to know what I would like. I am going to ask dh for a properly sized stainless steel colander for our anniversary I think. Lol. I have given those as wedding gifts a few times.

I remember other odds and ends I received that I wouldn’t have thought of. My mom never used kitchen shears. Someone gave me some at a shower in a box of random odds and ends. I didn’t know I needed kitchen shears but I did. So I see some fun in unsolicited gifts too. 

At this point in my life I think I would love to give a really awesome pizza cutter or serving spatula or something really high quality with the potential to last forever. But I worry the young folk won’t get how awesome it would be to get some really epic kitchen shears. Haha.

• Like 2

Sprite reminded me of a bridal shower gift of a framed photograph of a mountain I had climbed with my maid of honor before my wedding. It is tiny due to us being poor college students but it brings back memories.

• Like 3

I've been married 38, oops 39! years and we still have tons of our wedding presents--not that we had a huge wedding, but as newlyweds we needed everything and as a family with fairly low income (pastor), we use things as long as possible.  My air popcorn maker is still going strong which amazes me!  We still have our "toasting" champagne flutes personalized with names and dates and pull them out each year.   This, after 18+ moves (some navy chaplain tours) and overseas as well.  🙂 The linens have long been worn out, though....

I think because we have so many people over so often (part of a pastor's life), all the serving bowls, gifts, silver, china, glass bowls, vases, etc., etc. have been used--in some seasons of life more often (like now--well, sans covid), in some seasons, less (when the kids were little and apt to break things).  

I will say that one personal favorite was a framed decorative watercolor part poem/part art personalized with our wedding info.  Still have it on the wall! 

However, the times are a'changing.  Our daughter married last year (they did not live together before hand so didn't really have much) and they didn't want presents either.  No shower.  No registry. No notice on the wedding invites.  Partly, because they aren't struggling newlyweds (together, she and her husband make more $$ than we do.).  And partly, because while they know they would need things to set up their household, they didn't want the stress of figuring out what to tell people to get them ahead of time when they didn't even know. Plus, they are having fun finding just the right thing at the right time....

We gave them some $$ and some personalized gifts (like our champagne flutes).  I think most people gave money which, in the end, was much appreciated (although not expected).

• Like 2
12 hours ago, frogger said:

How do you cut your quesodillas?! 😳

😁

You cut quesodillas?? We just pick 'em up and eat them. The ones we make at home only have melted cheese. 🙂

• Like 1

We got married in 1994. Both of us were in our 30s. I was never married, dh was a divorced father who had custody of his son (dss - now Emma's dad). Between the two of us we had all we needed but in the 90s it wasn't proper to ask for money or even to ask for donations to be made to a charity. So we got gifts. Most I can't even remember. Most are gone. We have the china and the crystal. They're stored on the highest shelf of the kitchen cabinets taking up room until I decide what to do with them. Until we moved last May they were in china cabinet but we got rid of that because there's no room for it in our new house and because we didn't really need it. We bought it at an auction with some of our wedding money. 

I think the everyday glasses we have were wedding gifts. They're inexpensive and common and you even see them a lot on tv shows. These. We have both sizes but no longer a full set because some broke over the years. We still have the stainless flatware my aunt gave us. Both of us had cheap crappy flatware so that was a good gift. 

One of the best gifts was something I got at my work shower and my co-workers laughed about it behind the giver's back. I finally told them how much we used it and they shut up. Sometimes a co-worker isn't liked by everyone and this teacher was one of those people. She wasn't even a good teacher and as a person she was kind of annoying. But she tried, sometimes too hard, so we all tried to be nice to her. She was in my department - exceptional education - so she was invited to the work shower and I felt like I had to invite her to the wedding since everyone else in my department was invited. Anyway, she gave us a clear plastic bin about the size of a shoebox. It had a clasp closure and was filled with travel size products. It had shampoo, toothpaste, lotion, a little sewing kit, etc. Back then dh, dss, and I traveled a lot and we were also big fans of tent camping. That gift was perfect. Though the original samples are gone, we don't tent camp anymore, and we don't travel as much as we once did, we still have the bin. It's filled with new sets of travel size products and we still take it on trips. Dh will retire at the end of this year and we hope to travel again. I know we'll use that bin and fill it up with our travel size stuff.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Ellie said:

You cut quesodillas?? We just pick 'em up and eat them. The ones we make at home only have melted cheese. 🙂

We cut them into wedges. It is what our pizza cutter is mostly used for. Quesodillas are just a method for getting our extra spicy homemade salsa verde to our mouths. 😁

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, frogger said:

We cut them into wedges. It is what our pizza cutter is mostly used for. Quesodillas are just a method for getting our extra spicy homemade salsa verde to our mouths. 😁

Wedges here, too.  I think I need that recipe, if you want to share!

Pizza cutters are good for cutting waffles up for kids, too.  

• Like 2

Married in 2000. So many of ours. Dishes- we got really plain white dishes from Crate and Barrel. All the flatware. We only have one glass remaining. Serving utensils, pizza cutters, ice cream scoops (we got four). Right now, I have my feet on a coffee table my bil made for us. I think we still have some towels although they are threadbare. Definitely some dishtowels. Pots and pans. Knives, steak-knives. A silver tray. A chip and dip plate. Wooden bowls. Mixing bowls. A tea kettle. We would have still had a lot of the appliances but we had a house fire last year that was electrical in nature and a lot of those got replaced by insurance. 

Most surprising to me at the time was a Crockpot (we don't still have it, I got a bigger one after about 10 years and gave it away). At the time I thought it was silly as my Mom never used one but I quickly became a convert. Another one I thought was dumb at the time was an electric carving knife. Every year it gets pulled out at Thanksgiving by my BIL to carve the turkey. Who knew? 

The things we got that I didn't end up using was crystal vases and knickknack kind of stuff. Not really our style. We have given away most of those over the years. We did get a pair of silver candlesticks from my somewhat estranged grandfather. I do still have those and use them. 

• Like 3

I still have the headboard of the antique spool bed my grandparents gifted me for my wedding, as well as the matching dresser. The bed was my great-great grandmother's. We no longer use the frame though. It's in the basement.

Other than the antiques... I don't think we have a single thing from our wedding presents. We weren't registered for anything really. Most gifts were practical house set up stuff and we eventually got other things. Like, I'm sure some of the stuff in our purposefully mismatched collection of dishes and flatware is from then, but nothing meaningful or memorable. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I still have the headboard of the antique spool bed my grandparents gifted me for my wedding, as well as the matching dresser. The bed was my great-great grandmother's. We no longer use the frame though. It's in the basement.

I have the heart shaped pendant that belonged to my great grandmother (one of the few things she brought with her from Italy) and that my aunt gave me on my wedding day. I don't think of that as a wedding gift though. It's more a passing down a family heirloom. 

• Like 3

Let me think . . . 30 years later, two pots from a set are still going strong (one that is used pretty much daily), there is one battered pasta dish left from a set, and an electric knife sharpener. Things we still have but don't really use are a crystal basket and a crystal . . . I don't know, fancy jar-type thing? It's a bigg-ish crystal container of some kind with a lid. A pretty silver clock that I do have up as decoration on a shelf but don't use as a clock. And our wedding photos were taken as gift. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm still using the microwave we got as a wedding present in 1993. 🤣

Um...you’re prolly getting radiated. You have permission to get a new one. Or wear a lead apron while operating. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Forgot we still have the secondhand cherry bedroom set from 43 years ago.  Did swap out the bedframe (full) for a queen with a matching headboard.  Just lent one of the end stands to dd for her new place, and am putting the large dresser mirror in the closet for the first time so the room feels less cluttered.  

My mom's still using pots and pans from her wedding in 1955.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1
On 3/24/2021 at 1:52 AM, popmom said:

Um...you’re prolly getting radiated. You have permission to get a new one. Or wear a lead apron while operating. 😂

Right?? My sister just got rid of an ancient one, it was like the size of a small car, and I would press the 'on' button and run to the next room 😄

• Haha 1
On 3/24/2021 at 2:52 AM, popmom said:

Oh  man, is this actually true? There's nothing wrong with it and the new ones are stupid and tiny.   😪

We still use the flatware.  We both had full sets but I hated his and he hated mine.  So we registered for a compromise set and gave both of our old ones away.

• Like 1

Kind of an opposite story to the OP's question...

We don't drink coffee, but I wanted a coffee pot for hospitality, and someone kindly bought the one on my registry. But people rarely drink coffee with the kind of entertaining I do, so I have a pristine vintage Mr Coffee 8-cup pot in a terribly beat up original box.  It might have been used 4-6 times over the last 35 years. 

I started a new job, and due to COVID, our regular source of coffee is no longer workable.  My vintage coffee-maker is finally getting some use!  Woo, hoo! 

My favorite wedding gift, because we lived in FL, was an electric citrus juicer.  That got daily use. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Oh  man, is this actually true? There's nothing wrong with it and the new ones are stupid and tiny.   😪

I was wondering the same thing.  Our house was built in 1997 and our microwave is still working.  

Some kitchenware like a colander, pie plates, Revereware copper clad stainless stockpot, and some others.  I've replaced some of the Corelle dishes but quite a few are still in fine shape (although I got tired of the pattern and have replaced it with white as I have needed more).  Still use the cooking knives that I, a poor college student, thought were soooooo extravagant to ask for, but an aunt bought them for us, and we use them daily.  Probably what I use the most is the Oneida stainless, mid-level, flatware that I picked out.  Even after almost 23 years of very heavy use, it still is in excellent shape.  I've added to the collection over the years, and it's actually fairly difficult to tell the brand new from the original stuff.  And, I still love the pattern; whereas my Corelle feels a bit dated to me, the flatware feels timeless and classic.

We still have quite a few fancy cake plates and such that were gifts too, but those don't get used daily.

We had two sets of sheets that were wedding gifts that we used until just a few months ago, used but still serviceable.  I didn't *need* to replace them, but they were always a bit tight on our current mattress, so I wanted deeper pockets, plus we needed a new quilt anyway and decided to go in a different direction.  But I'm impressed that they lasted so long.

• Like 2
On 3/27/2021 at 5:08 PM, KungFuPanda said:

My understanding is that even newer microwaves can leak radiation. Our home inspector tested the one in the house we bought 10 years ago. We estimate that microwave was 10 years old at the time, and it was definitely leaking radiation. We got rid of it. 

I try not to stand near my newer microwave when it’s running. Just good practice.

• Thanks 1

Still using stainless steel pots and wine glasses we got for wedding in 1993, the dinner plates and serving bowls we bought in 1990; the pre-1990 towels were sent to college with the kids. Still use silverware from pre 1990, but got new set two years ago from my mom. 

No appliances, because we moved continent.

My dh gave me new breakfast dishes for my 30th bday 23 years ago which we use.

Really,  this kind of stuff lasts forever.

• Like 1

I couldn’t think of anything until I read some of the other replies. It’s been over 15 years, and we have two vases, two bowls (all that’s left from our everyday service for 12 set of dishes), and a cookbook. I’m sure there must be other things.
Oh, and a few random pieces of flatware. When the kids were little they would accidentally throw pieces away when clearing their plates. This is my theory anyway, because we still have almost all the knives (which the kids didn’t use), but hardly any forks and spoons.