Menu

Did / does your church take COVID seriously? What denomination are you?

MercyA

Church. yes, as gardenmom described above.  Our global church leadership is also supporting vaccination, masking, and social distancing.  I don't live in the US and those messages are coming through here too, not just in the US.  My family has only been to church a few times in the last year.

But individual members?  I've seen a higher-than-average number of people pushing back on masking, vaccinating, and social distancing in general, or who think the restrictions at church aren't necessary.

• Thanks 1

UMC.  They were until our state decided that no covid precautions were necessary any longer and they followed.  No masks required or social distancing unless you personally choose to do it.  Another sign to us that it is time to seek other company.  There have been other nudges to go, but this is more of a push. Another local UMC is taking it seriously so we will probably start there once we feel it is the right thing to return to indoor church.

• Thanks 1

Catholic with three distinct communities, I guess you’d call them. For all Masses in general, masking strongly encouraged, every other pew roped off, spacing in the open pews, space for overflow Mass, 2 of the 7 Masses each Sunday live-streamed, all choirs severely limited and masked. (Choirs are in the loft at the back.)

Spanish Mass - very seriously, almost 100% masked from what I have been told, attendance way down even after reservations were no longer needed, priest, deacons, servers all masked

English NO — mostly seriously, close to 100% masked in all Masses, attendance increasing though the above restrictions are in place, priests, deacons, servers all masked  

EF Mass — generally not seriously, especially in the afternoon Mass (morning EF Mass is more masked I’ve been told), attendance way up, above restrictions in place, unknown if priest and servers are masked

I think the priests have done a decent job about encouraging people to follow safety precautions even if they’re not mandated. 

• Thanks 1

Catholic- Diocese- seriously

Local church, not at all, local priest kept skirting and breaking the rules set by the diocese. We have not supposed to be having in person services all this time yet he has nearly the whole time. We haven't went. Dh has been somewhat upset at me about it. Services are officially supposed to start back next weekend. Dh wants to go. Ds and I will be 11 days out from my second vaccine. Part of me is ok with it and part of me doesn't want to go back there ever over their handling of it.

• Sad 4

Very seriously. Baptist. Online only except a few drive-through or outdoors-and-masked type events, since 3/15/2020. Even doing it online, the few people taking part in the service from the sanctuary (<10 staff + lay leaders) are masked except when speaking (to help with lip-reading). The choir has software that lets them record themselves at home & the choir director puts it together for the livestream.

Our pastor's view is basically that if you're not into looking out for vulnerable people, even at the expense of your own convenience, this is not the congregation for you. If it were otherwise, I wouldn't belong to this church.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

( We have no problem w good praise bands but ours is awful and one thing that definitely brings bad thoughts to my mind is awful music- I cannot tolerate services w awful music)... 

I hear you! My parish has a choir that is outstanding at singing traditional music, which they mostly do, but man.....they murder contemporary stuff. It's hysterical to me that they can sound so good, and then singing a very simple song sound SO bad. You'd think the opposite!

Sort of?

I was on here venting a LOT in the early part of the pandemic because my area, both the Catholic and Episcopal diocese were some of the very last to stop in person services in the country. The Episcopal was later than the Catholic. 

But...then they did. Services were on Youtube, and still are for those that want that. Prayer groups etc on Zoom. No kids stuff really though, at my Episcopal parish. Not sure about the Catholic one. And the Episcopal bishop put out a very moving letter explaining why masking is so important once they opened for in person - really a wonderful treatise on how this is the Christlike thing to do. 

In person is masked, distanced, every other pew roped off, markings on pews to show 6 ft of distance. But, although the early service is spoken thre is singing at the main one. Smaller choir, spaced out, but singing. They did modify the masks somehow, not sure how. The priest does take off his mask during the sermon only, but when he started doing that (after requests from hard of hearing members) they blocked off additional pews in the front, so he is over 12 ft from anyone, and sermons are not as long as in many other Protestant churches. I'm okay with that. Really, it's just the singing that keeps me out right now. I WISH they'd done outdoor services - we are in Florida! We could totally do that! But almost no where does. 

Oh, and they have take out communion - it's presanctified and you pick it up from a basket right by the entrance (masks required in the building) on Thursday or Friday, then can consume during the service as you watch on Zoom. I like that. They had "ashes to go" as well, on Ash Wednesday. 

So mostly seriously, once they started, but took them too long. And I get a vibe that the main priest is not taking it as seriously as he could...like it's more "cause I have to" than "cause I should" sometimes...and he is always talking about how nice it is to see people coming back to in person...not shaming those who are not but it is a tiny bit close to that, you know? OR maybe I'm being sensitive. One of the priests did get covid and was out for weeks, so you'd think they'd get it. 

I've not participated as much as I wish - my own social anxiety stuff makes it hard to join the zoom stuff sometimes,  plus forgetting when to sit and sign on. But I COULD be doing a ton of Zoom stuff. And although I wish they had zoom kids stuff, they send a link to a youtube channel called "Virtual Sunday School" from the UK every week, and then there is a zoom "Bedtime with Mr. Andrew" Sunday evenings  - Mr. Andrew is the choir leader and he does songs and such with the kids in a sing along format. I keep forgetting to do that, as well. Need to set a reminder on alexa! My kids other than the little one are not singers though, so I'd rather they do a zoom sunday school. 

I'm partially vaccinated, will be fully vaccinated at the end of the month, so next month may start back to services and leave the kids at home. I hate that it will be SO long until the kids are vaccinated and can go - my little one has never been to Sunday School and keeps asking about it.

Oh! Another local Episcopal church just posted photos of a get together at the church...I forget what it was - pretty much NO masks. Eating and drinking indoors, no distancing. Blew my mind. And the Catholic parish has said no in person church events other than Mass, but the mom's group is getting around it having "unofficial" get togethers that are just the regular meetings but at individual houses. No masks, food and drink, indoors ugh. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Oh, and my church continues the normal fundraising and charity work, but in new ways. Instead of having people bring in food for the food bank (they had reusable shopping bags with the church logo on them for people to pick up, fill, and bring back) they are having people send E-Gift cards to the local grocery stores, you could fill a box virtually picking out items on a website for Operation Christmas Child, etc etc. We have coninued our normal giving online, which we have always done - I could never remember to bring a check, or would forget my envelope, etc so online giving is my preference without Covid. (my church also has an ability to take offerings via text message!)

• Thanks 1

I would say no, but some precautions others have listed are in place. Catholic

We are under no obligation to attend - which is crazy since the Catholic Church has had a Sunday Mass Mandate forever. One service each weekend is available live on FB.

In person, every other pew is roped off. There are at least four (possibly more) large, industrial, HEPA air filters going constantly. The doors to the church are roped open before & after Mass so you don't have to touch them. No holy water (available in small bottles so you can bring your own). Hand sanitizer available at the only entrance. Priest uses it before Communion. Photocopies of necessary worship aids - so one use only; no books in pews. Pews used are marked & cleaned after each Mass. People keep 4-6 ft apart in pews & while going up for Communion.

Sounds pretty good, right? But, singing. Oh, so much singing. And no mandatory mask usage. Very, very few people mask.

We did not attend in person for almost a year. Our covid exposure level went up related to my DDs' summer job preparations and I realized that I had to be willing to go in person to worship if I was willing to go to an indoor gym for the DDs. So, DH & I sit in the very back corner right in front of an air purifier, masked completely. We don't go up for Communion and we leave during the final song so I have no idea how people handle visiting after Mass or leaving the church.

There were 20 or so people attending the Mass we go to at first. Now there are 45 or so. About the same 5-6 of us mask. There is a local mask "encouragement" in place. My local area has been "back to normal" since last October? November?

• Thanks 1

Yes, Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). Not as strict as some listed here, but masks, limited and distanced seating, individual communion cups, no choir, no offering plate passed. We had Zoom last March-June, then slowly reinstated in-person services. Livestream options of Sunday worship and multiple other Bible studies available. 

Pastors are unmasked to speak. We do have some in-person activities besides worship with masks, limited attendance and distanced seating etc. Children's and youth ministry had summer and fall activities outdoors and will do the same in the spring. Other outdoor gatherings too, for adults, but small. 

We worship is a gothic cathedral style building - 5 stories tall. 250 people in a room that seats 1200. 

Zero transmission at our church or in our church's school, which has been in person all this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Presbyterian (PCUSA).

For just over a year now, there are choices of virtual service on YouTube or Zoom, and weekly services in the courtyard where everyone is masked and seating well distanced. There have been drive-in services, too. It is Southern California, so the weather is rarely an issue. The singer and pastor take their masks off as needed to sing or talk, but otherwise are masked. 

Our congregation is older, and most of them are now fully vaccinated and impatient about getting back into the sanctuary. There was an email just last week begging everyone to stay patient, reminding everyone we are still following public health guidelines, and a gentle reminder to love thy neighbor as many of us are still impatiently waiting for our turn at a vaccination.

I'm a church musician (violin/fiddle), and have to say we rock both traditional and contemporary praise music!! We've had monthly recording sessions since last March for all the virtual services, and I play the in-person services about once a month, too. I stay masked for both recording and performing. I know the traditional choir is chomping at the bit to get back to singing, but our music director is young and not yet vaccinated. Instead we've done those zoom-style video recordings for special occasions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

We have the option to go in person or be at home. Today’s sermon was amazing. It was about staying focused on what’s important. Do you disagree politically? Do you disagree about Covid? It’s okay to disagree. It’s not okay to be so fixated on differences on non-doctrinal issues that we let that thing take over as primary importance over remembering we’re brothers and sisters and we need to keep our eyes on Jesus. 

I loved it. There was zero judgement about wearing masks or not wearing masks. It was about remembering our identity and how that plays out in our lives. I often feel in the minority in willingly wearing masks out and probably even more so in Christian circles. I don’t feel the need to impress my views on everyone and I appreciated that other people heard they ought not either and I know a church which is close to splitting. 

I respect you very much, but have to differ with you on this.

This issue has (or should have) zero to do with politics. Unfortunately some are mistakenly trusting politicians rather than medical experts and scientists for their information. 

This is absolutely akin to a church saying, "You can drive drunk to church or not. Your choice. Sure, you may or may not kill someone, but no judgment." They are communicating, "You do you. Doesn't matter if it hurts someone else. *Your* rights are what needs to be respected." As a deeply pro-life person, this is abhorrent to me.

It is breaking my heart and completely changing my view of almost everyone I know. They either don't care about anyone but themselves and/or are (at this point) willfully ignorant and completely lacking in wisdom and discernment.

There have been times in my life when I absolutely put myself first, consequences be damned, and also times when I have been, to put it mildly, incredibly foolish. So I get it. I can even have some sympathy for it. But to see a half a million people die and still not wake up and change? It's wrong and there is no excuse anymore.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6

No, not really.  Bible Church. 

Our youth pastor *is* taking it seriously -- masks required, mandatory 2 seats (and they are big chairs) between all unrelated youth, mandatory adult leaders passing out food to kids vs kids going up and getting food (they have pizza before service on Weds nights), and they've not had their worship/singing portion at all during this time (they were Zoom only for a long time too). 

The pastor *has* instituted online streaming, and offers various rooms at the church open for on-campus viewing of the online streaming, including there is/was a room available for "I only want to be around other masked people" viewing BUT the main service is open, masks are optional, and when we were still watching them, did not seem to be any enforcement of social distancing measures (which would have been easy, as it's chairs, not pews, would have been very easy to at a minimum set up only every other row of seats, set up staggered areas, etc. - that was not the case). 

The other ministries have all had to follow that lead, and the vast majority of folks are just not masking. The youth pastor, now that our state mandate is ended, is dropping the mask part of his plan next month (but keeping everything else), "to be more in line with the other ministries of the church" and that makes me sad.  Our son will be almost fully vaccinated by then, and we will send him still masked until then at least (maybe still after, still researching that), but it really saddens me that we're having to do that (make him be singled out -- our homeschool co-op dropped the mask requirement, too, leaving it up to each teacher; he has one teacher who requires it and one who doesn't, and he's the only one masking in there as well....). 

We have not attended in person ourselves since, because they aren't being careful/taking it seriously (have let DS go because youth group is). We're watching a different church online these days as well, and when we do return, it will likely be there (they are requiring masks, spacing people out, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not at all locally-small UMC, but the same holds with the SBC church where my teen used to go to Youth activities. Since the state exempted churches from mask requirements, everyone has taken that as proof that it is not required. The only exceptions seem to be the UU's and the Black churches (the Black Baptist church in my neighborhood just lost their pastor to COVID, which is heartbreaking, especially since he would have been eligible for a vaccine starting yesterday). I am attending a church online pastored by a friend, who IS taking it seriously, although she's gradually bringing parts back in person as appropriate. It does much better things for my emotional stability to see people masked and distanced even through the computer. 

• Thanks 1

Episcopal church and yes. I think so. 

Church is still via zoom with a max of 5 masked people in the church during service. 

There is talk of holding an Easter service since many of the parishioners are vaccinated, but I’m pushing for holding it outside in the cypress grove. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of???  Non-denominational reformed church plant.  They were really great at the beginning when our state shut down from March to May;  then started meeting outdoors (I think) during the summer.  Then they changed venues to a larger space to accommodate social distancing.  They seat people socially distanced as family units.  BUT, when the singing is done, and the preaching starts, everyone takes their masks off, because they're no longer moving around.  I guess they still aren't up on the info about the virus being AIRBORNE and totally able to float around on air currents, whether people move around or not.  Also, they only require masking INSIDE the auditorium, not in the entrance way, where the kids are running around, maskless no doubt.  I touched based with the pastor and associate expressing my concerns with how things were being run back in September, and they said they were within CDC compliance, and weren't going to be doing anything differently.  They continue to meet inside in community groups, and although I don't know for sure, I seriously doubt that they mask at community group.  That's just how things are here among Christians (that's such a sad thing to write!).  We live in IL, but in a VERY red county, and practically NONE of the Christians I know here took the virus seriously or masked if not required by a business.  We started homeschooling at the beginning of all this, and I'd joined 3 coops to try with the kids, but we can't ever go to anything because no one ever requires masking.  It's a "oh, do it if you want!" type attitude.  And I'm here thinking, "you know, EVERYONE needs to mask to help protect OTHERS, not just yourself."  Because of this experience, I thought that all homeschoolers were more of that mindset.  I wanted to cry with relief when I just recently read a thread on this forum about being angry about COVID, and how it has revealed things about people that were not apparent before.  Anyway, I digress from this thread.   As far as church, needless to say, we haven't been back, and once we're all vaccinated, we won't be going back either.  We will be looking for a new church.  

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, AngelaR said:

Sort of???  Non-denominational reformed church plant.  They were really great at the beginning when our state shut down from March to May;  then started meeting outdoors (I think) during the summer.  Then they changed venues to a larger space to accommodate social distancing.  They seat people socially distanced as family units.  BUT, when the singing is done, and the preaching starts, everyone takes their masks off, because they're no longer moving around.  I guess they still aren't up on the info about the virus being AIRBORNE and totally able to float around on air currents, whether people move around or not.  Also, they only require masking INSIDE the auditorium, not in the entrance way, where the kids are running around, maskless no doubt.  I touched based with the pastor and associate expressing my concerns with how things were being run back in September, and they said they were within CDC compliance, and weren't going to be doing anything differently.  They continue to meet inside in community groups, and although I don't know for sure, I seriously doubt that they mask at community group.  That's just how things are here among Christians (that's such a sad thing to write!).  We live in IL, but in a VERY red county, and practically NONE of the Christians I know here took the virus seriously or masked if not required by a business.  We started homeschooling at the beginning of all this, and I'd joined 3 coops to try with the kids, but we can't ever go to anything because no one ever requires masking.  It's a "oh, do it if you want!" type attitude.  And I'm here thinking, "you know, EVERYONE needs to mask to help protect OTHERS, not just yourself."  Because of this experience, I thought that all homeschoolers were more of that mindset.  I wanted to cry with relief when I just recently read a thread on this forum about being angry about COVID, and how it has revealed things about people that were not apparent before.  Anyway, I digress from this thread.   As far as church, needless to say, we haven't been back, and once we're all vaccinated, we won't be going back either.  We will be looking for a new church.  

This is surreal.  If I tried I don't think I could gather an entire roomful of people who don't understand how airborne viruses work on at least some basic level.  Little kids might not get it, but then a parent would say something like "You know the whole house smells like chicken when we cook? Things you can't smell travel like that too" and the kid would get it. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is surreal.  If I tried I don't think I could gather an entire roomful of people who don't understand how airborne viruses work on at least some basic level.  Little kids might not get it, but then a parent would say something like "You know the whole house smells like chicken when we cook? Things you can't smell travel like that too" and the kid would get it. 

My just turned 4 yr old could explain that after a Sid the Science kid episode she watched this week. She told me about how molecules can move through the air all around the house. 

Actually, between the vaccine episode and the washing hands episode of Sid the Science kid and the immune system episode of Magic School bus I'm pretty sure she knows more about basic germ theory than most adults in this country. I've caught myself many times wishing all adults were forced to sit through all the Magic School bus and Daniel Tiger episodes. Seems there isn't much basic info you need to know in life you can't get from a PBS kids TV show. 

• Like 7

So, I went to church today for the first time in over a year! I'm vaccinated now, so felt okay going. These were my observations/experiences (Episcopal Church)

1. I cried! When the priest said, "The Lord is Risen" and we all said, "The Lord is Risen indeed" I got all choked up, teary eyed, nearly sobbed. 

2. I'd say it was definitely less than 25% full, significantly less. Maybe 25% of normal attendance, but way less than max capacity. I counted about 60 people and the building can hold hundreds. (that includes priests, the handful of choir members they picked for the minimalist choir, etc)

3. They had the pews marked off so that every other one said either "end of pew seating only" or "center of pew seating only". So family groups could sit together, but no one was right next to you or directly in front of or behind you. An elderly man did come and sit at the end of my pew towards the end, not sure where he came from, but since I was vaccinated and he was still over 6 ft away I wasn't worried. it was right before communion, maybe he'd been helping with something before? No idea. But I wasn't going to yell "get out of my pew, old man!" lol, and he really was far away. (I did schooch a wee bit to the other side though, so I was a bit off center but within the area marked off on the pew with tape)

4. Yes, singing. Sigh. The choir is limited to maybe 5 or so people? Less than 10 for sure. Masked, distanced from each other but not as much as I'd prefer. The choir area is in the very front of the church, with a bit of a half wall, then the altar area several feet in front of that, then 10 ft to the first pew, and they have the first several pews blocked off totally, so they are distanced from the congregation quite a bit. The congregation sang very quietly,which I was glad of. Not sure if that was ever stated as an instruction, but people were not belting out the songs by any means. 

5. We have a high, peaked ceiling, and air conditioning. 

6. The priest takes off his mask for the sermon only, at the request of several older, hard of hearing people. When he started doing this is when they decided to block off the first several pews, to make sure he was well over 12 ft from the first possible pew to sit in. Sermon is about 15 minutes or so, not the long ones in say, a Baptist church. 

7. Communion is bread only, brought to the pews. The priests walk down each side of the pews. The center pew sitter will be close to the end pew sitters during this part, but for maybe a minute. The host was placed in the hand, and then everyone stepped back to their seat to remove mask long enough to consume. (priests wore gloves, and sanitized hands before donning gloves...not sure how the gloves help, honestly)

8. Everyone attending was masked, I saw one older woman pulled hers below her nose for a bit, but mostly everyone wore them properly. 

9. I saw one child, one teen, and otherwise older people. 

Oh, and VBS was cancelled for this summer again. The high school youth group is meeting, outdoors, masked. Children's stuff has not resumed. Bible studies are via zoom. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

We are back at church and it’s good to be back, although it’s definitely not the same as it used to be. Everyone is masked, seated in family groups and distanced from other households. The sanctuary was maybe 25% full. There is no singing and the entire service is actually pre-recorded and projected onto a large screen. No Sunday school, but they will be opening the nursery and children’s church next week. No socializing indoors afterwards - everyone is urged to gather outside, with masks required even there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pamela H in Texas said:

Yes, very, worldwide. Jehovah's Witness.

Specific direction given at a various levels (worldwide, branch territories, regional areas, etc).

PAMELA H IN TEXAS!!!!!!!!    (waving excitedly to "see" you again)

that's it, that's the whole post, back to regular programming.......

• Like 3

On 3/21/2021 at 8:42 PM, calbear said:

Yes, nondenominational evangelical. We've been doing virtual and outdoor services with social distancing. We are in CA so in our area, churches have only been allowed to return to in-person in February after the Supreme Court ruling to allow 25% capacity masked (the state is working under a tier system). They have only decided to return to in-person at that capacity with masking after Easter.

We have really expanded our online offerings beyond worship services. We've had the highest weekly participation this last year and the highest participation in our small groups which are online. We are doing a lot to engage in increasing our work and presence in underserved communities working with different community services, school districts, and local government. We've been able to put about 100k volunteer hours as church serving the community and put $650K towards Covid relief, community needs (like food pantry, housing, clothing, etc.), human trafficking, and global relief efforts.

removed for privacy.

Edited by calbear
  • Sad 10

On 3/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, Scarlett said:

Yes.  Very seriously. Still nothing in person.  Nothing.  

Shout out to your church--my mom and dad are fully vaccinated and have been working one half-day a week at our small town grocery store. Our county's masking mandate was (foolishly) lifted about a week ago. Out of all the people working in the store last Friday, only four were masked: my mom, my dad, and two young adults who are members of your church (brother and sister). Yay for them for doing the right thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We’ve been attending a church we’ve really liked for the last two years.  We have only attended online since COVID, but they had returned to in person a few months ago.  We went last week for the mid week service, and I’m so disappointed.  People wore their masks until they were just inside the sanctuary, then took them off, shoved them in a pocket, sat right next to whoever and carried on.  A family member that also attends there told me they aren’t worried about getting COVID in the house of the Lord.  Do you wear your seat belt on your way to church?! What the heck 😡 and we as a family are back to online church. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5