Menu

Latin After GSWL

My 7th grader has gone through several introductory Latin books.  He will finish GSWL soon.  What are good suggestions for curriculum or classes to move him forward?  I don't know Latin and don't want to learn, but my husband had a semester in college using Wheelock's.  I need something that is going to do a decent job teaching.  He likes reading Latin in GSWL but doesn't feel there is enough instruction to figure out why he misses sentences.  

• 2 months later...

Agreeing that the Form Latin series probably won't be a good fit -- it is Henle-based but moves more slowly and targets a slightly younger group, so just using Henle I would probably be preferable if it is Henle you want.  If your child is Christian, the online classes at Memoria Press might work well (the classes are not explicitly "Christian" but if you have a non-Christian child it can become awkward and/or maddening. Ask me how I know 😉 )

For older middle school, I am preferring Oxford Latin course which my older child has studied online.  He's just finished the Oxford series; I've liked it for its ...

1. Academic viewpoint, not Christian/Catholic.  This is important for my non-Christian child.
  2. Cultural information, which is embedded in the Oxford series.
  3. Story-driven methodology, which is more interesting for my child. 

He's beyond me in Latin, and is taking classes with the Classical Resource Learning Center (CLRC): I've been extremely happy with their language instruction.  I also love CLRC's ethos and approach.  The classes are non-competitive (ie, students are not competing with each other for top place or for grades) and CLRC does tests like I do: the child can correct errors for half-credit. 

Another option, for a competitive, driven or Latin-loving child, is Lukeion.  We tried them as a provider, but they are explicitly competitive in their class structure which doesn't suit either my values or my children's style.  They also move more quickly than CLRC: they finish Oxford Latin in 2 years instead of 3, I believe.  That means that Latin takes significantly more time per week with Lukeion: since Latin is a required & not a desired class for my child and he loves to have time for science and his other interests, the more moderate pace of CLRC is a better fit for us. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2021 at 2:45 PM, serendipitous journey said:

Agreeing that the Form Latin series probably won't be a good fit -- it is Henle-based but moves more slowly and targets a slightly younger group, so just using Henle I would probably be preferable if it is Henle you want.  If your child is Christian, the online classes at Memoria Press might work well (the classes are not explicitly "Christian" but if you have a non-Christian child it can become awkward and/or maddening. Ask me how I know 😉 )

For older middle school, I am preferring Oxford Latin course which my older child has studied online.  He's just finished the Oxford series; I've liked it for its ...

1. Academic viewpoint, not Christian/Catholic.  This is important for my non-Christian child.
  2. Cultural information, which is embedded in the Oxford series.
  3. Story-driven methodology, which is more interesting for my child. 

He's beyond me in Latin, and is taking classes with the Classical Resource Learning Center (CLRC): I've been extremely happy with their language instruction.  I also love CLRC's ethos and approach.  The classes are non-competitive (ie, students are not competing with each other for top place or for grades) and CLRC does tests like I do: the child can correct errors for half-credit. 

Another option, for a competitive, driven or Latin-loving child, is Lukeion.  We tried them as a provider, but they are explicitly competitive in their class structure which doesn't suit either my values or my children's style.  They also move more quickly than CLRC: they finish Oxford Latin in 2 years instead of 3, I believe.  That means that Latin takes significantly more time per week with Lukeion: since Latin is a required & not a desired class for my child and he loves to have time for science and his other interests, the more moderate pace of CLRC is a better fit for us. 

I am going to register my daughter with CLRC this fall, however the class we chose conflicts w/her other class. We decide to move along with to take their class through recordings. 

Since it's my daughter's first CLRC class experience, anyone had the same experiences to share? Is it going to work for my daughter? 

10 hours ago, jjrainier said:

I am going to register my daughter with CLRC this fall, however the class we chose conflicts w/her other class. We decide to move along with to take their class through recordings. 

Since it's my daughter's first CLRC class experience, anyone had the same experiences to share? Is it going to work for my daughter? 

My child has only worked from recorded classes as a make-up sort of thing.  He finds it very dull, and so my concern would be that it would be hard for her to focus if she isn't well-motivated.  If you haven't gotten the perspective of Anne Van Fossen at CLRC regarding your plan, you might want to ask her opinion on it or see if she has suggestions. 

I wish both of you luck with the class!