Menu

Favorite spice blends from Penzey's?

Quarter Note

The blends I will pay Penzey's prices for:

Chicago Steak-obvious use

Tuscan sunset - Italian blend with a slight twist.

Pork Chop seasoning- Smoky white pepper blend. I use it on potato dishes and if I need to add some light smoky/savory flavor to a dish

Berbere-My favorite for adding to chili, curry or beef dishes. 

Sandwich sprinkle-  I use it in tuna sandwiches

Turkish- a great multi use blend

Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave chicken/fish seasoning-simple blend for chicken with lemon and garlic.

Garam Masala- I don't eat much Indian food, so I am sure there are better blends out there, but for me this is pretty easy to use. 

I am sure I could make them for cheaper, but these have a unique combination of flavors that makes things easy for me. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Also the chicken base is better than regular chicken broth If that’s what you normally use for soups. 

Yes, I forgot the soup bases. They are less salty than what I used to get at the grocery. I keep backups in the freezer. Sometimes we make stock, when we have a carcass, but i don't believe in buying it.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I dislike their incessant political diatribes, however, and mostly buy from The Spice House instead now. 

Same here. Plus, if you buy flat packs they ship for free. Yeah I’m sure the price is built in but it is great when you just need one thing.  The owners of Penzey’s and Spice House are siblings...who I suspect don’t get along that well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

I like their lamb seasoning, fajita seasoning, medium hot chili powder, and cinnamon. 

I dislike their incessant political diatribes, however, and mostly buy from The Spice House instead now. 

I stopped subscribing to their coupons and newsletter a few years ago, simple due to this reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have been meaning to try The Spice House.

One thing I really like from Penney’s that I have not seen elsewhere is the kosher flaked salt though.  It is coarser than table salt but finer than coarse salt.

Have you tried Maldon salt?

Maldon is a flaky finishing salt that has a very satisfying (light) crunch when used for a final seasoning. I bet you'd like it.

Bill

• Like 2

The three items I'd most like would be Turkish Bay Leaf, Vietnamese cinnamon, and Juniper berries.

Like @Dreamergal I get my spices from Indian markets (and Sri Lankan, Greek/Ethiopian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, etc. markets).

And I now have the culinary herb garden of my dreams that's fully mature.

But getting real Laurus nobilis (bay leaf) is surprisingly difficult. Most bay leaf sold here is California Bay Leaf, which I don't prefer. I have a small Laurus nobilis bush/tree that I've nurtured for a year in a pot (came as the tiniest of starter plants) that's finally ready to plant. But I'd like a small supply on hand.

Vietnamese cinnamon is quite good.

And I love Juniper berries when used subtly with herbs to give stews a wild aspect. Hunter's stews.

I guess I'd order the whole catalog, but I'm a tightwad. LOL.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

One thing I really like from Penney’s that I have not seen elsewhere is the kosher flaked salt though.  It is coarser than table salt but finer than coarse salt.

Also very good--and not expensive--is Diamond Kosher salt (NOT MORTON).

Diamond is flaked. Not as crunchy as Maldon, but inexpensive enough that one needs no guilt to use it salting water, etc. Something one would never do it Maldon. Check kosher markets.

Bill

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The three items I'd most like would be Turkish Bay Leaf, Vietnamese cinnamon, and Juniper berries.

Like @Dreamergal I get my spices from Indian markets (and Sri Lankan, Greek/Ethiopian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, etc. markets).

And I now have the culinary herb garden of my dreams that's fully mature.

But getting real Laurus nobilis (bay leaf) is surprisingly difficult. Most bay leaf sold here is California Bay Leaf, which I don't prefer. I have a small Laurus nobilis bush/tree that I've nurtured for a year in a pot (came as the tiniest of starter plants) that's finally ready to plant. But I'd like a small supply on hand.

Vietnamese cinnamon is quite good.

And I love Juniper berries when used subtly with herbs to give stews a wild aspect. Hunter's stews.

I guess I'd order the whole catalog, but I'm a tightwad. LOL.

Bill

I wondered why their bay leaves are so much better than any I'd had before!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I wondered why their bay leaves are so much better than any I'd had before!  

You've probably had CA bay leaf. CA bay is more assertive and not as balanced IMO. One needs to pull CA bay somewhat quickly to avoid it from getting overwhelmingly tannic/bitter.

Certain dishes (like Menudo) taste right to me with CA bay and Mexican oregano (which is not oregano).

Turkish bay has its own thing. More subtle and so good.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

The price is too expensive at Penzeys for me. 1 oz is above $4. You can get 3oz (100gms) of the same spice for a little over $1 in an Indian store. 

I cook a lot with spices. What do you want to know ? 

Hi Dreamergal.  Oh, I love Indian groceries.  We even have one in our little town.  And, when I have time, I love to cook from my Indian cookbooks that I brought back with me after I spent some time in India many years ago.  My spice cabinet has a nice selection.

But what I'm really looking for is simply to try new things, and I thought that some of Penzey's new blends would provide convenient delivery of some new flavor combinations.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions!  I'm looking forward to making my order this afternoon.

If I can make Same-Old-Quick-and-Easy on a random weeknight, sprinkle on some new flavor combination, and have my kids say, "Wow, Mommy, Same-Old-Quick-and-Easy tastes really good tonight.  May I have more?" then it will be worth a few extra dollars per jar.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Tap said:

I stopped subscribing to their coupons and newsletter a few years ago, simple due to this reason. 

16 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes, even when I agree with them, which is definitely not all the time, I find the foaming at the mouth style both annoying and presumptuous.

Plus the writing was really poor. He needed an editor.

8 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Whole Foods has this! 

• Like 1