Menu

Anyone using/used this and will share your thoughts? I'm not a youtube search cabable person. Plus I feel like those who overly gush are not to be trusted. Y'all keep it real.

Edited by Enigma6

I wanted to like it, but... meh.  The Language Arts was odd and overly complicated.  It wasn't really suitable for teaching reading, but then made reading aloud complicated.

The science is a decent list of topics with a good book list, a reasonable list of projects/demonstrations, and links to useful videos.  I am using their science this year (we did 2nd grade in the fall and are using 4th grade now) because I'm homeschooling my kids + 2 bonus kids, and I wanted something that was already pulled together and would work for a variety of ages.  It wasn't a huge $$ investment and has been okay.  It's also getting done, which can be a challenge around here.

The Math and Art for grades 1-3 is a great concept but not well executed.  If I had the inclination, I think I would take the basic lesson, find more art examples and better projects, but.... then I should probably just find another curriculum.

The nature is... fine.  It dovetails nicely with the science program.

Overall I don't hate it, but there's better out there.  I bought it at a steep discount, so I don't mind.  I'm glad the science has worked for us this year.  I'm probably not going to use it next year, even with my younger ones.

• Like 1

What's appealing to you about it? I was seduced by the B&R vision and have used/ tried to use a number of levels. Meh sounds about right. It's fine. It's probably great for people who want a very relaxed, play-based curriculum in the early years, but if that's your approach, you really risk wasting time and energy following someone else's program--especially because you have to put a fair amount of work into B&R. It wants to be everything to all people, so it ends up going all over the place and providing an overwhelming number of options. I found it paralyzing rather than exciting. Again, that would probably be a plus for some people!   

The levels also seem all over the place. The ELA portions of the curriculum are aimed very low (part of the CM angle, I think), but the readalouds and conceptual material are often aimed very high. I saw it in multiple levels/ pieces, but the history curriculum is a good example . The notebook was full of hand-wavy prompts like "What would you pack on a ship heading to Jamestown", while the reading was pages and pages of dense textbook material. At some point a curriculum just can't be aimed at everyone from K to high school without doing a mediocre job of both. She worked so hard to get in multiple perspectives (the "river of voices" concept) that it just ended felt incoherent.    

The history was particularly disappointing because I really wanted to like it. 

• Like 2

I'm considering using Year 4 next year for my 11 year old. She's very active and loves hands-on things, so I think she might like it.

Torchlight may be another one to look at. I like the looks of it, but it's a LOT of books.

• Like 1

I’ve used Book Seeds when she gives them for free (not often.) I’ve liked them, but not enough to buy it. There are so many similar resources out there. We tried the math in art and my son was really into it, but I felt like I could have made it up myself. 

I’m going to try out Moving Beyond the Page next year. I only bought one set of books, so if we hate it, it won’t be a huge loss. 

• Like 1