Menu

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor OR....?

mathmarm

I'm thinking of using the Jacobs text "Mathematics: A Human Endeavor" with my Very Advanced 3rd grader as a text to base a Survey of Mathematics type course on starting next year.

I like the physical size of the text (as compared to other textbooks), the lay out of it is pretty friendly and the range of topics are interesting and the problem sets seem intelligently designed.

Are there any fun, ready-made resources that compliment this text well?

Is there another Survey of Mathematics type book that I should consider as well before I decide?

This is probably not a sufficient survey, but as a kid, I absolutely loved the "fun introductions" to mathematical areas in Martin Gardner's books, like this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Colossal-Book-Mathematics-Paradoxes-Problems/dp/0393020231/

I've actually both bought Mathematics: a Human Endeavor and the above Martin Gardner book for DD8, but they are thick and heavy, so she hasn't started reading them to herself yet. But I hope she's interested eventually 🙂 . 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

I used Mathematics: a Human Endeavor with my younger boy. We did it concurrently with Life of Fred. LoF is not exactly a survey text, LOL, but LoF does get kids thinking about math being used in life.  The applied nature of their Biology, Physics, and Economics preA books complemented the more math-as=beautiful approach of MaHE. 

• Like 1

I used it after BA5, SM5 and Jousting Armadillos before AOPS pre-algebra. It was really nice to spend time eploring math concepts outside of the normal sequence. I remember my son reading all the LOF pre-A books as well around this time. I think we were doing Zacarro's Real World Algebra as well.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 3

I used Mathematics: A Human Endeavor with one in middle school after finishing the elementary school program and before algebra. The material on logarithms proved to be very useful, and I highly recommend it. With another child, I am planning on incorporating the chapter on non Euclidean geometries at the end of geometry this year, and otherwise complete most of the book separately (lower HS).

I did not use Life of Fred. I cannot handle that book. I showed it to my son and asked if he would like it, and he had a similar reaction. 

If you want a book to read, The Number Devil by Hans Magnus introduces a lot of famous math problems and puzzles, in a narrative format.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2021 at 7:26 AM, mathmarm said:

Are there any fun, ready-made resources that compliment this text well?

There is a workbook.  I wouldn't necessarily call it fun though.  

I used a bit of MHE with my older son when he was in 3rd grade.  He really enjoyed it.  He then worked through the entire book on his own a few years later.

• Like 2