Menu

Study skills class

My 9th grade dd seems to have some misconceptions about how much work is required in high school, and she has become quite inefficient at getting her work completed. I looked at the TPS study skills class but the times do not work for us. Any others that are similar?

I went to check my notes from prior threads.

WTM Academy has a study skills class but it is geared toward grades 5-8

Homeschool Connections has  free four week class called "How to Be an Excellent Student: Note Taking, Test Taking, & How to Get an A"  I might be interested in this myself, but I am concerned that it says it is worth 0.5 credits. That is a lot of time to put in within four weeks. Has anyone else done this? 

There is a Crash Course on Study Skills as well.

I randomly found these:

Mr D. has a study skills class https://www.mrdmath.com/study-skills/

I used the Great Courses How to Become a Superstar Student with my girls. Watching it alongside them generated lots of discussion. We got it through our library, but here’s a link:

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/how-to-become-a-superstar-student-2nd-edition

We also read & worked through this oldie, but goodie:

https://www.amazon.com/Study-Hard-William-Howard-Armstrong/dp/156792025X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=study+is+hard+work+william+armstrong&qid=1616160394&sprefix=study+is+hard+work&sr=8-1

My oldest worked with my third DD (in 9th grade at the time) a few days on her college fall break. She modeled how to take notes; how to read closely; how to stay organized; and how to revise/study for a test. It was super helpful to third DD. She was already a good student but was finding that leveling up to high school necessitated a significant improvement in her study skills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would really like something structured and not student led. Her main problem is time organization and focusing on the task at hand, and I think another perspective from a liver person would be really helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 5:16 AM, cintinative said:

I went to check my notes from prior threads.

WTM Academy has a study skills class but it is geared toward grades 5-8

I have you tried this class? I look at it for my daughter. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 4:11 AM, mamamoose said:

My 9th grade dd seems to have some misconceptions about how much work is required in high school, and she has become quite inefficient at getting her work completed. I looked at the TPS study skills class but the times do not work for us. Any others that are similar?

This seems typical for the age/grade. I’d be hesitant to add a time sucker into the mix. Perhaps specific privileges/consequences, and time to mature, is all that’s needed?

Edited by Mom21