Menu

Kindergarden History and Science - a Unicorn?

Kk19

I'm piecing together a plan for Kindergarden for my oldest. She'll be newly 5. I'm looking for some type of introduction to American History as well as science, mostly through read alouds. The thing is, I dont want a ton of books taking up space, and I dont want to pay a ton of money (hence Sonlight wouldn't work, even though it looks amazing and exactly what I like.)

I dont mind piecing something together using mostly library books with a spine, but I'm struggling with how to do that plus finding an american history spine for 5 year olds. We plan to use Story of the World starting in first. For science it would just be nice to have a main spine as well, but everything seems above her level. Any ideas?

Adding - this is only for fun and will be part our "morning basket" at this stage.

I’m really liking a child’s first book of American History by Earl Schenk Miers.  The publisher says it is for grades 3-7, but I’m using it with my kindergartener and first grader.  It probably depends on the kids.  We read a story each morning, I’m sure we will read it again and again over the years  

https://www.bfbooks.com/A-Childs-First-Book-of-American-History-HB?sc=17&category=878

science: Bernstein Bears Big Book of Science & Nature. Curious George Big Book of Discovery. Scholastic Storytime or Nursery Rhyme STEM.

both: DK my encyclopedia of very important things. What your kindergartener needs to know. 

history: DK a child through time, city through time, street through time. Ready to read Wonders of America Series, ready to read childhood famous Americans. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

We are using Elemental Science: Intro to Science.  This is by the same curriculum company recommended for the 1st through 12th (?) grades in the WTM book.  It gives kids an overview of the sciences and they have a lapbook (optional), experiments that are really accessible for little ones, picture books list, required book being an Usborne Children's Encyclopedia, an activity book for fun activities.  Anyway, lots of videos online and a couple by the company themselves too. 

• Like 1