Menu

What do you include on your reading list?

Next year (9th grade), my daughter will study certain works specifically for her 9th grade English credit (I'm still planning it out, but it will surely include lots of typical classics, like Animal Farm and Romeo and Juliet, etc.). To study these works, we will do close readings/analysis and write essays, etc. But she also reads a ton independently, both fiction and nonfiction. We typically do not analyze or write in response to her pleasure reading, but we do chat about it. (Her pleasure reading includes fun teenage fare--books by John Green, The Hunger Games, etc.-but she definitely reads "legitimate" literary fiction, too.) (Note: I personally consider it all "legitimate," but I think you know what I mean in this context....) 

My question: What do I put where? Do I put the only the books that we study in depth on her English 9 course description? Or should I list her pleasure reading in the course description as well (since that reading will have been completed during 9th grade)? OR, do I list the books studied for the course under the English 9 course description, and then list only her independent pleasure reading on the reading list? OR, should I just put every book read on the reading list, even if it was already mentioned in the course description? Basically, I'm wondering how others organize this. (By the time we get to 12th grade, there will be so many books!) I'm inclined to put every book read--regardless if it was for a course or not--on the reading list, so the reading list is a complete reflection of her reading life, but I'm not sure if there is a standard way to do this.

Bonus question: Do you (personally) include audiobooks and read alouds on the reading list? Or do you only include the books the student has physically read to themselves? (Pretty sure I will include audiobooks and read alouds on my reading list, but am curious what others do....) 

Thank you!

Edited by EKT
typo

I used to keep a reading list for my DD3 (age 16) just for fun because she read lots and lots of books, but I stopped at some point. I regret that I didn’t keep it up, but I think she keeps track in her Goodreads account. 

My course descriptions include only those books assigned in her classes.

• Like 1

1. I did not include every book read, only major assigned reading with major writing components.

2. It doesn't matter whether it was read or listened to.  That is a disability/access issue, and listening is just as valuable as reading. 

3. We have yet to have a university want to see coursework or anything beyond a basic transcript.  Decision making seems to be happening off of standardized test scores + GPA.  If the test scores are high enough that the GPA seems accurate (which is our situation), then I don't think they are giving transcripts a second thought.  I did have to submit transcripts.

4. I still have an entire banker's box worth of materials as proof of work. Not sure when I'm going to feel comfortable letting go of that....advice about when?

• Like 3

If pleasure reading is an important component of the English program in your homeschool and you want to keep it that way, I'd list the assigned books - at least the major ones - and I'd include a line in the course description about how the course also included a significant choice reading and discussion component. Alternately, if she reads lots of books for pleasure, I think it would be fine to have an English course with assigned materials and maybe have an additional half credit "Contemporary Fiction" course.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, lewelma said:

Just an FYI, Carnegie Mellon required that ds submit a complete reading list of every book he had read in high school. This was separate to my course descriptions. 

Thanks! It's interesting to see how mixed others' experiences have been.

Personally, we have always tracked our reading (literally since kindergarten, lol) just because I'm the type who likes to track things like that (I love to remember!). So we will definitely continue to keep track. I just wasn't sure where to put the info (and it looks like opinions are mixed on that, too). TWTM recommends keeping a reading list, so I thought it was expected/standard for high school....

I think I will just continue to track everything. I'll definitely track the "in-depth" books that go with specific courses in the relevant course descriptions, and then I'll keep an overall list that tracks everything, just so I have it. (I figure, I can decide later what to do with the info once we get to senior year/college applications. It looks like some colleges definitely don't want that info, but your post suggests that there are some colleges that do want it.) Anyway, this post has clarified my thinking, so thanks to everyone who chimed in!

• Like 1

I did do reading lists in my course descriptions for selective schools that my dd applied to.  I included everything we had made notes of that she had read, that I had real aloud to her, that we listened to on audio, etc. I separated the lists though into what was part of her studies and what was some of her free reading. I think I just had a note like free reading included: and gave a few titles.  

• Like 1

I've kept a list of any book he used for high school. Reading for pleasure books I just gave up on keeping track of those years ago. I wish I'd kept up with it but he reads quite a bit and it was just one. more. thing. to keep up with. I am glad I have the detailed reading list for high school as he has a younger brother who is currently 8th grade so I can refer to that for him starting next year. We will start the college application process in August. Will be interesting to see what they ask for.

• Like 1