Menu

Score needed to pass algebra entrance exam?

Dd has done rod and staff math for all of elementary, this year (7th grade) she finished book 7 and we will finish about 1/2 of book 8- selecting the chapters that cover prealgebra and geometry topics. I am wanting to sign her up for either prealgebra or algebra with a local co-op and they sent me the entrance test for algebra 1. What do you think would be a passing score to be admitted in to algebra 1? She missed a few questions because of mistakes and there were 3 topics that we hadn’t yet covered. I’m afraid prealgebra will be 80% review, but I also don’t want her to be in over her head with algebra, especially taking math outside the home for the first time. 

1 hour ago, Calizzy said:

. I am wanting to sign her up for either prealgebra or algebra with a local co-op and they sent me the entrance test for algebra 1. What do you think would be a passing score to be admitted in to algebra 1?

Did the co-op not tell you the cutoff when they sent you the entrance test? My local public school just expects a C for prealgebra to continue on to algebra 1, or a B to continue to algebra 1 honors.

They didn't tell me a cutoff, but they evaluated the test and said she should do prealgebra. I checked it last night and I believe she got an 84. Like @busymom5 said, we still have 2 more months of school too, so the 3 topics she didn't know might be covered in our book. I'm not trying to push my child into something she's not ready for, I just don't want to waste our time and $ on review if she doesn't need it.

Edited by Calizzy

4 hours ago, Calizzy said:

They didn't tell me a cutoff, but they evaluated the test and said she should do prealgebra. I checked it last night and I believe she got an 84.

2008 California practice test grade 7 with answer key https://2.files.edl.io/8zOji3Jg9Yjg877FsGJYmnwlRqObWBhvqXYKJzG5SOPhmG9V.pdf

3 hours ago, SusanC said:

84 seems like it would be pretty close.

When my kids were in a public charter, the admin wanted a 90 from “normal age” kids to test out but 95 from young kids. 

• Like 2

@ArcadiaThat looks like a really good assessment for being ready for alg. I looked through it and based on where my kids are after pre-alg (my youngest is finishing it right now, so it's fresh on my mind), the only gaps I see on our side for that assessment are the 2 questions on rational/irrational numbers (terminology that I dont use until alg) and the question with the parabola.

• Like 1