Menu

Which encyclopedia do I want?

We have a World Book set. Honestly it collects dust more than it gets used. 🤷‍♀️ They'll reach for the topical encyclopedias/texts we've collected over the years (Kingfisher, Usborne, Smithsonian, etc) or the internet before they grab a World Book. 

• Like 1

We have a World Book and a Britannica. 🤭 The Britannica has more extensive coverage, but the World Book is much more appealing to the kids. We do not have many topical encyclopedias, though - just a few DK First X Enclyopedias for my prereaders/early readers, and my kids don't have internet access. They will pull the World Book out to browse for fun, but the Britannica almost always only comes out for school-related stuff.

12 hours ago, LostCove said:

We have a World Book and a Britannica. 🤭 The Britannica has more extensive coverage, but the World Book is much more appealing to the kids. We do not have many topical encyclopedias, though - just a few DK First X Enclyopedias for my prereaders/early readers, and my kids don't have internet access. They will pull the World Book out to browse for fun, but the Britannica almost always only comes out for school-related stuff.

So, if you had to choose, which would you save from your burning house?? 🙂

10 hours ago, Trilliumlady said:

So, if you had to choose, which would you save from your burning house?? 🙂

Oh, I would get my OED! 😉

If I had to pick one, I would probably keep the World Book because it invites more independent browsing. We can always go to the library or mom can supervise internet research of topics it doesn't cover. Both sets were very cheap because they are from the 80s, but the one I grew up with in the 90s was from the 60s and it doesn't seem to have harmed me. 

Edited by LostCove

1 hour ago, LostCove said:

Oh, I would get my OED! 😉

If I had to pick one, I would probably keep the World Book because it invites more independent browsing. We can always go to the library or mom can supervise internet research of topics it doesn't cover. Both sets were very cheap because they are from the 80s, but the one I grew up with in the 90s was from the 60s and it doesn't seem to have harmed me. 

YES! To OED.  And World Book is the way I would lean, as well.

• 2 months later...