Menu

What do I want to watch next on Netflix?

PeterPan

I don't have netflix, but I've been trapped in this HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy) tube for 12 sessions now (about 18 hours, oy!) and they have netflix to stream videos. I've watched Big Family Cooking Showdown and Dream Home Makeover, both of which I enjoyed. Then it suggested Marie Kondo, which honestly I'm not sure I'm gonna get into. She's adorable, but I just don't want to read subtitles of Japanese for so many hours. I also just streamed and enjoyed the Doctor Thorne series on amazon.

So what do I want next? I've got 5-10 sessions more, so a series is better than a single movie. Anything great you've liked? 

For shows that are PG14 or less, I liked The Umbrella Academy, Virgin River, Last Tango in Hallifax, Atypical, and Madame Secretary

For shows that might have nudity and/or language (rated M), I liked The Witcher, Black Mirror, (did Glow have nudity? I think so), Glow, I am Not Ok with This, and Dead to Me.

Edited by Garga
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone share why Queen's Gambit is rated MA? I'm not opposed to MA, but I like to know what I'm getting into. My DS (19) wanted to watch it but there's some things I don't want to watch with him!

I like Russian Doll. So good! 

• Thanks 1

I haven't watched the 

14 minutes ago, Paige said:

Can anyone share why Queen's Gambit is rated MA? I'm not opposed to MA, but I like to know what I'm getting into. My DS (19) wanted to watch it but there's some things I don't want to watch with him!

I like Russian Doll. So good! 

I haven't watched it, but I have heard it has lots of drug use

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some hugs, I hadn't heard that you were having this therapy.  I hope you are feeling alright. 

Aw thanks. It's coming along. I think I just banged my head too many times the last few years and my time was up. My rate of motion and speech have improved and the vertigo is gone. I'm just still having headaches and fatigue. Like maybe down from a 9 to a 4. So it will come I think.

Thanks for the lists ladies! I'm going through them. The other shows I had found by letting them randomly put in a search term and just taking what looked cute. I was out of terms this time, lol. I even watched The Pack on amazon, which was cute. (It's people and their dogs competing.) Maybe I'll put in "cats" and see what happens, lol. 

Oh dear, apparently that actually would turn up something. https://www.gq.com/story/this-documentary-on-netflix-about-cat-competitions-will-make-everything-better  

What about Fuller House? I'm watching a trailer and my brain could handle it. Cats competitions or Fuller House. This is bad. I've sunk very low. 

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

The Queen’s Gambit was pretty good. I just finished it after seeing it recommended here. 

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. Pretty dark for middle of the day when you're trapped in a glass tube, lol. But you're right, it might be interesting.

28 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I love that it’s kinda girl-power without throwing the guys under the bus. You’ll see what I mean if you watch it.

Well good, thanks for the lists ladies! I didn't realize "feel-good" is one of the descriptor search terms for netflix, and there are "feel-good" series lists that a lot of your suggestions (except Queen's Gambit, haha) show up on. I'll probably save that for another time. I'm still forgetting enough that stupid and forgettable is probably where I'm at, so Fuller House will probably do. And it will be so lame I'll be motivated to get these sessions over with soon! :biggrin: 

7 hours ago, kand said:

This is the most binge-worthy show I’ve watched this whole pandemic. I’m not sure if you have guidelines that would cause it not to work for you. It had more bad language than I like, but I overlooked it because it was so darn funny. 

Yeah, I'm pretty G-rated honestly. I sorta assumed with a terrific title like that that they were hinting where they were going. :biggrin: Also, I don't think main brain is working so well to keep up with really involved anything right now. I mean, I'm treating a concussion (actually 4+ in the last 3 years), not a broken leg. 

I'm really excited about that Feed Phil show. I think it will work great. It's travel, the guy laughs, and I don't have to remember too much to make it work. I watched Friends & Friendship (sort of a jump version of Austen's Lady Susan) last night and barely made it through all the people, lol.

That's something they pointed out to me at the clinic, that when you've injured your brain you don't necessarily realize it. Your function goes down and you just kinda sit there in it. But I tried to watch some of these samples last night, like the Kim's Convenience, and my brain wasn't up to it. I clearly have a ways to go, lol.

Thanks ladies!! 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, I'm pretty G-rated honestly. I sorta assumed with a terrific title like that that they were hinting where they were going. :biggrin: Also, I don't think main brain is working so well to keep up with really involved anything right now. I mean, I'm treating a concussion (actually 4+ in the last 3 years), not a broken leg. 

I'm really excited about that Feed Phil show. I think it will work great. It's travel, the guy laughs, and I don't have to remember too much to make it work. I watched Friends & Friendship (sort of a jump version of Austen's Lady Susan) last night and barely made it through all the people, lol.

That's something they pointed out to me at the clinic, that when you've injured your brain you don't necessarily realize it. Your function goes down and you just kinda sit there in it. But I tried to watch some of these samples last night, like the Kim's Convenience, and my brain wasn't up to it. I clearly have a ways to go, lol.

Thanks ladies!! 

If you’re G-rated, then Virgin River and Madam Secretary are the ones to watch out of the list I gave you above. I especially love Madam Secretary.  It’s about the Secretary of State and I thought it would be a dull political show and full of manipulation and backstabbing, but instead most of the episodes are feel-good episodes and easy to understand where the main character and her family Do The Right Thing.

• Thanks 1

If you're a Marvel fan, I just finished Agents of Shield and enjoyed it (but it's a long series and you may not have time to finish it).  Before that, I watched Sherlock (with Benedict Cumberbatch) and really liked it.

Currently watching Cobra Kai, and liking it, but it does have language that I'd not want others to see me watching, lol. 

When I'm at the dentist, they play Netflix on my personal screen, and I prefer to rewatch The Great British Baking Show. It's safe. 😉

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

For what it's worth, I think Schitt's Creek is actually very sweet, once you get past the first few episodes. It was on my list -- actually, it was my list -- of shows I wish were real when we did that thread, because I would love to live in a place in which people are mostly kind to each other and there is no violence to speak of and characters are allowed to grow and mature.

It's not involved, either. It's just a sitcom, although a good one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

If you are open to subtitles, there is a whole lot of things I can recommend.

LOL Normally I would, but I don't think my brain is up to them honestly. When I listen to shows in other languages I end up trying to learn the language, noticing words repeated, etc., which is not really what I should be doing when nursing a concussion, sigh.

Well @domestic_engineer Somebody Feed Phil turns out to be hilarious!! I spent the whole time laughing and with 4 seasons I'm pretty much set. Thanks ladies!!

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

You have a concussion ? How did I miss that ? Plenty of time to watch later subtitled shows later. Get better. Take care.

Yeah, I hit my head sledding. I was kinda in denial, but it's actually more like the 5th bang up in 3 years, sigh. I was in more trouble than I realized, and the cumulative damage was enough that I'm now committed to just continuing this treatment till it gets as good as I can get. Along the way, the HBOT seems to be doing me some other good, as I got back motion in my neck, have less inflammation from the arthritis and mess in my lower back (diagnosed, did PT, has some fancy words for it), and even my lungs/asthma are doing better. But my brain, that's gonna take a while. 

They're sorta telling me I need to stop doing things that are dangerous or require helmets, sigh. 

• Sad 1

On 3/16/2021 at 7:03 PM, PeterPan said:

They're sorta telling me I need to stop doing things that are dangerous or require helmets, sigh. 

I agree, although most sledding I've done would not be dangerous. Tubing...mixed bag, varies a great deal. Regular sleds and toboggans? Has not been dangerous. I don't sled near obstacles either. 

I did almost hit my head on a purposefully iced tube run at a church snow camp that will remain nameless because I get too agitated about their whole operation. I was tubing with my counselor, and she caught my head in her hand; otherwise, I probably would've needed stitches and been concussed. Her hand was pretty scuffed up even with gloves on (no stitches/breaks though). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

although most sledding I've done would not be dangerous.

All I can figure is I wasn't thinking too clearly before I got on, or I wouldn't have gotten on. It was nuts, completely nuts. 

Really though, I'm kind of glad to have messed myself up this time, because we're finally treating the prior head injuries too, which is good. And I'm getting some bonus benefit for the inflammation in my neck and spine. I may be a new woman when I'm done, lol. Only bummer is, the nurse practitioner says I'm only likely to get my brain back to 60-70% of where it was before. Since we only use 10% of our brains anyway (right?), I'll just pretend it's not an issue. 

Just now, PeterPan said:

All I can figure is I wasn't thinking too clearly before I got on, or I wouldn't have gotten on. It was nuts, completely nuts. 

Really though, I'm kind of glad to have messed myself up this time, because we're finally treating the prior head injuries too, which is good. And I'm getting some bonus benefit for the inflammation in my neck and spine. I may be a new woman when I'm done, lol. Only bummer is, the nurse practitioner says I'm only likely to get my brain back to 60-70% of where it was before. Since we only use 10% of our brains anyway (right?), I'll just pretend it's not an issue. 

I hope you do you really well with your treatments!

• Thanks 1