Menu

Campus visit report/virtual visit report -Agnes Scott College, Decatur GA (during COVID)

Dmmetler

Agnes Scott is a small women's college (with graduate programs,but they use the college name and focus on undergraduate education) in Decatur, which is a suburb of Atlanta. 

We've done a virtual college visit/open house day, a 1-1 interview locally (pre-Covid), an alumna interview, a virtual scholars weekend, and just did a campus visit (of the almost completely closed campus-some students are on campus because of housing needs, particularly international students, but classes are virtual, as are events).

Agnes Scott is a competitive LAC, that has been test optional and holistic since before COVID. One thing that appealed to me from the first contact was that the admissions rep said flat out that they are test optional, BUT the students who are attracted to their programs and willing to go through the process tend to have test scores in the same band, whether or not they report them. Part of this is that they do target recruiting based on early ACT/SAT scores (talent search or 9th grade), and PSAT/PLAN scores. And part of it is that schools usually have them on the transcript anyway. The application process involves multiple essays, both the required common app or coalition app ones and institutional ones. They take very little AP/IB/DE credit because everyone has it, and everyone does placement exams for language, math, and writing. All students are expected to reach conversational fluency in at least one language, and, pre-COVID, everyone does at least one international session, either a 3 week intersession or a full term-this is included in tuition. Classes are small. Research and internships are expected as is a senior thesis. For L, the location is wonderful, because Atlanta area has so much, but the small town feels great. There is a small comletely natural wildlife area on campus, including a small lake. 

The school, and Decatur in general, are extremely inclusive. At the in person interview/meeting, over a year ago, L commented that ALL schools say they are inclusive and diverse, but what does this mean at Agnes Scott. The person she was meeting with (who handles our state, and is in our city regularly due to a couple of girl's high schools) said "Honey, we're a women's college in GA that accepts ALL women, by birth or by gender orientation. It's safe to say that we're a very liberal bunch, but we're Southern, so we're polite about it!". That is how I would describe Decatur, too. Very obviously liberal, very obviously inclusive, and very Southern and polite. Black lives matter and LGBTQA inclusive signage is everywhere, and more importantly, it feels like it is meant, not performative. There is a lot of art. Masking is currently required in Decatur, and everyone is wearing them. And I mean everyone, all the time. All restaurants are serving outside and takeout only. I feel more relaxed, in a lot of ways here, than anywhere in public since before COVID because I'm not seeing the passive agressive wearing masks over the chin or not covering the nose, or just pulling it up to enter a building. 

Both DH and I commented that Decatur's downtown felt familiar, and we finally placed it-it felt like the smaller CBD in the suburb of Sydney and in Dunedin NZ. That same sort of beauty, focus on art, and slower pace. And, while I haven't been in Austtalia or NZ since COVID, the calm acceptance and adjustment that has happened feels like what I've heard from the Aussie/NZ boardies here and my friends. 

The campus is beautiful. It has been used in multiple movies and it is easy to see why-it is such a Southern setting that I found the song in "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas", where Dolly Parton (as Miss Mona) lays down the rules to her "Ladies" running through my head, because it has that feel. But at the same time, it is also obvious that the focus of the school is academics and student connections. There are lots of beautiful settings to sit and talk and connect, but it's beautiful because the buildings fit together and there are a lot of old growth trees. One thing that was present, which was amazing to see, was wildflowers, including dandelions-there are campus beehives, and they keep flowers for the bees. There isn't the focus on student amenities like at some schools. No climbing walls or lazy rivers here. The focus is very clearly education. The campus is part of the community and feels like it. 

The campus is a woman/female centered space in the same way that the HBCU's we've visited are Black centered spaces. And it has that same feel. Even as an almost 50 yr old, I felt comfortable and validated, and, well, seen on campus. We met a group of students (the members of the German club who are in campus or local) meeting outside, and one thing I noticed was that these young women were both extremely confident and secure (and immediately invited L to sit down and talk to them, sharing their experiences and input-one thing I loved was that when L asked about food, one of the women commented, "I'm autistic and am really picky, and I haven't had trouble finding food.., although it's been a lot more limited this semester when not much is open") and yet, were not dressed to impress. They seemed super comfortable in their own skins, in a way that I am not used to teen/young adult women being. In fact, in a lot of ways, rthey felt like a group of homeschooled kids.  There are no Sororities or purely social groups, but in a lot of ways, it feels like the school IS a Sorority, in the truest sense of the word. 

My kid is in heaven. And there is even a snake in the decoration on one of the buildings. So, it looks like I have a Scottie!

---------

For the benefit of future college searches, 

We've now moved L onto campus. The two first year dorms are both traditional, with small, mostly double rooms containing a bed which can be raised or lowered (and possibly bunked, but the kids weren't interested in pursuing that, a desk, a large dresser, and a large walk in closet with built in shelves for each student, and a shared bookcase, nightstand, trashcan and recycling bin. Bathroom and kitchen down the hall, along with a common room for studying or group meetings. Each dorm has a computer lab, laundry room, and larger common room in the ground floor, and also usually has some part of the administrative offices/student services-L's dorm has IT. Most buildings on campus have some housing.

There is a large central cafeteria which is open from breakfast through dinner time (about 6:00 am to 8:00 PM) and a couple of small auxillary options that take dining credits. The food has met the approval of my vegetarian kid. 

The library is beautiful and well equipped, the student center has lounges, offices, the on campus post office, and meeting spaces. The Science building is pretty darned awesome, with beautiful labs and classrooms with a lot of space, a greenhouse, and lots of facilities. It far exceeds many larger schools we looked at. 

All in all, my kid seems very happy with Agnes.

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 17

4 minutes ago, Lilaclady said:

Cool. My dd visited Agnes Scott to get a feel of different colleges and I love how they personalized the tour. Even gave us free lunch. 

They are almost completely closed now, but they have really been trying to make the virtual stuff as special as they can (they mailed a pretty nice box of stuff to each participant for scholar's weekend, to use during the event-i suspect the priority mailing cost as much as the content)

9 minutes ago, daijobu said:

I feel like a Debbie Downer asking this, but did you get a sense for their financial future?  

They seem pretty solid-they have a broad base of alumna support, are continuing capital projects, and generally are stable as far as student enrollment, even mid-COVID (and even with staying more closed than almost any other school in the region. They own a lot of residential land in Decatur, which is currently rented out, so that is another income path (and it's a desirable area). Agnes also has a lot of reciprocal agreements and partial degree paths with other universities rather than trying to run such programs in such a small school-full reciprocity with Emory as a sister school, but also engineering joint with Ga Tech, Teaching with Mercer, and even some sociology and justice programs with Spelman and Morehouse. In comparison, Sweet Briar was trying to run an ABET engineering school and a NCATE education program out of a student population of 300. (And Agnes is about 1200 students, about 1000 undergrad and the rest graduate). The Atlanta metroplex just plain allows a LOT of flexibility. 

• Like 6

My oldest went to Oglethorpe which is about the same size and their students really took advantage of the Atlanta area and taking classes at Emory, Ga Tech, etc. The location really makes up for it being such a small school. His girlfriend took some upper level classes at Emory and he had friends do the engineering at Ga Tech. Those small schools aren’t a fit for everyone but for the right student it can be a best of both worlds thing and a great financial value. 

I think it also speaks well of the school that they can take their lower level classes at dinky little Oglethorpe and then do well in the upper level classes at Emory and Tech. 

Very exciting times! Congratulations to your family.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

They seem pretty solid-they have a broad base of alumna support, are continuing capital projects, and generally are stable as far as student enrollment, even mid-COVID (and even with staying more closed than almost any other school in the region. They own a lot of residential land in Decatur, which is currently rented out, so that is another income path (and it's a desirable area). Agnes also has a lot of reciprocal agreements and partial degree paths with other universities rather than trying to run such programs in such a small school-full reciprocity with Emory as a sister school, but also engineering joint with Ga Tech, Teaching with Mercer, and even some sociology and justice programs with Spelman and Morehouse. In comparison, Sweet Briar was trying to run an ABET engineering school and a NCATE education program out of a student population of 300. (And Agnes is about 1200 students, about 1000 undergrad and the rest graduate). The Atlanta metroplex just plain allows a LOT of flexibility. 

Thank you, this is very helpful!! I’ve been trying to get DD to consider some women’s colleges in the greater ATL area but beach access is a priority to her. I will redouble my efforts.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, Dmmetler said:

This shows a lot of foresight and is reassuring.  Coincidentally, I just read today about another women's college that was struggling even before the pandemic and is shutting down, Mills College.  It sounds like Mills attempted to make some partnerships, but it was too little too late.  

"Facing a $3 million deficit against a $50 million budget, Hillman said it had become clear that “we can’t actually continue to fulfill Mills’ mission in its current form.” But Hillman said the decision to stop admitting new students won’t lead to Mills closing its picturesque 135-acre Oakland Hills campus — home to the college since 1871 — anytime soon.

"Mills declared a “financial emergency” in 2017 with a $9 million deficit, eliminating such majors as philosophy and Latin American studies and laying off even tenured faculty. The college also slashed the cost of its undergraduate tuition by 36 percent — from $44,765 to $28,765 in the 2018-19 year — to make Mills more affordable.

"But Hillman acknowledged that the tuition reduction didn’t attract enough new students. A program to partner with UC Berkeley to share degrees and student housing also was undermined by the pandemic, Hillman added."

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 10:08 PM, Sneezyone said:

Thank you, this is very helpful!! I’ve been trying to get DD to consider some women’s colleges in the greater ATL area but beach access is a priority to her. I will redouble my efforts.🤣

You might want to point out that the ATL location means that there is really easy transport to a lot of other places. Not a beach in the backyard, but cheap express buses and flights are a pretty good perk. 

• Like 1