Menu

Did you consider 4-year graduation rates in your college search?

cintinative

My youngest's private LAC had a four year guarantee.  We really did not want her attending a college where she wouldn't graduate on time due to scheduling.  She started out as a Physics Major but in her second year, changed to Comp Sci major, Physics minor.  And the Comp Sci group at her level went from something like 5 majors to something like 25 (so obviously, she wasn't the only one).  For senior year, initially it looked like some of the Comp Sci majors wouldn't be able to graduate on time.  They hired more people (I am not sure how many, but everybody graduated)/   Now due to my dd's bad health issues, she did take summer classes at our local state university for 2 years and also had a credit that she had come in with due to her having taken Spanish 101 at the local state university as a dual enrollment student in high school.  

• Like 1

DS looked at the numbers as part of his exhaustive research, but the schools he was interested in all had extremely high rates. Most were either polytechs or larger universities with dedicated CS departments. He didn’t apply to any schools with GE type courses, which naturally weed out a lot of students. 

He would have ruled out anywhere with 40-50% dropout rate.

• Like 1