Menu

High school courses - STEM track

My dd will be entering 9th grade this fall and would like to major in mathematics with aim of taking Calculus BC by 12th grade. We are thinking about options to accelerate dd to achieve this goal (summer classes, additional course during school year, I.e. algebra 2 alongside geometry).  Below are courses for the fall:

1- World History advanced (wants to also self study to take AP World exam starting this summer) 

2- Honors Geometry (will take enrichment classes/self study to deepen understanding) 

3- Biology regents (is this necessary or is self study for AP biology exam advisable? Or is physics first a better option?)

4- English 9 honors (literature and language studies). Not strongest subject so will need additional support 

5-PROJECT LEAD THE WAY (PLTW): Introduction to Engineering Design 

Dd would also like to self study for the AP computer science or computer science principles exam and take the PSAT.  

any advice would be appreciated in coming up with a more comprehensive plan/accelerated course load? 

thank you! 

You may want to read old threads in the high school board or cross post this there - there has been a lot of discussion on that board about AP options recently. 

In terms of further accelerating math, it's possible to do Geometry and Algebra 2 simultaneously. This is basically what my 8th grader is doing this year, though he is taking honors Geometry in a public school class and self-studying Algebra 2 with a few different resources with the aim of scoring high enough on a test-for-credit exam to take Pre-Calc in 9th.  (He's homeschooled this year except for the one ps class, but plans on full time ps next year).

But even without doubling up, your child would be able to get to Calc BC just taking the normal load starting with geometry in 9th - doubling up might only make sense if it could leave time later for other opportunities.  My DS13 wants to prepare to test into a program through a flagship state university that gives accelerated high school students an opportunity for math at the college level while in high school, but in a class with other advanced high school students (as opposed to dual enrollment, where he would be in a class with college students).  He needs to be done with pre calc no later than 9th to be qualified for this opportunity, so he is trying for that path. 

You could also look at topics not typically covered deeply  in the high school math sequence like counting/probability and number theory.  AoPs has texts and classes for those topics. 

• Thanks 1

Cross post this on the high school board.  A lot of people switch from posting on the accelerated board to the high school board once their kid finishes 8th grade. There are a lot of very knowledgeable posters there that don't read this sub-board. 

ETA: I see that you have already done this and are getting a stronger response.  Welcome to the board!

Edited by lewelma
  • Thanks 1