Menu

Online Algebra 2

I would be concerned it would not be enough. I find the 1.5 hour classes to be long and I think for the more difficult subjects, twice a week is optimal for accountability and memory. My dd has taken Algebra I and Geometry through Derek Owens and even that has been challenging. I am fine helping her with both of those, but Algebra II is out of my comfort zone, so I enrolled her in a live online twice a week program.

• Like 1

I agree, not enough. 

My Dd did Geometry with a once a week class and did not like it. She is a strong math student and had an excellent teacher, but it is hard to process math that far ahead. The teacher usually has to present 4 problem sets or topics. It’s difficult to think through the later ones when you haven’t worked the earlier ones. 

My Dd has two live 90 minute classes for Alg 2 and strongly prefers that model.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I had concerns about this when I got to high school math that I was finally ready to farm out. But that once a week model has been essentially fine for us. And I know many, many students using that once a week model from lots of different providers and it's working fine. A bunch of major providers use this model so as a basic starting point, I wouldn't worry.

Now, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Also, it's not the only element to a math class model - how much teacher interaction and support is available outside of that hour class time is pretty important as well. As is how much work is assigned, what type of work, how it's checked, etc.

I second Derek Owens as one potential way around that - though the lack of a live class and conversation is a different drawback. The live class is really helpful for many kids. There's a teacher not too far from me who does an online model that I sort of wish I'd heard of years ago - she has the work set up and individualized in an online classroom for each kid and then just has an open session every single day. She does Foersters and AoPS depending on the student. She's Kathy Warman Math if anyone is curious. There's also Jann in Texas's math classes, which are twice a week. 

• Like 3

The idea of once a week concerned me as well, but the model has been fine for my kids with Mr. D. However, he does have help sessions during the week that my kids have attended on occasion. Also, he is very responsive to emails and my dd often asks questions that way. Several times he has responded with a personal video of himself explaining it to her. I have been incredibly impressed with his helpfulness to his students. My kids love him and in turn really enjoy math.