Menu

Vaccine question for Texas people

My son has a job in Texas for the summer that is in-person. His vaccine tier in my state won’t open before he leaves, but I assume he will be eligible in Texas at some point while he is there. My question is: do you have to show Texas residency to get a vaccine? He isn’t changing residency for a 4-month job, but I don’t want to have to bring him home to get a vaccine. Thanks!

I think it depends on where he would try to get a vaccine in Texas.  DH had to show an ID, but I do not think it was to check for residency.  Some of the FEMA sites are restricted to residents of particular zip codes right now.  Things are changing quickly, so it is hard to predict what it will be like in a couople of months.  

• Like 2

The vaccine clinic/hub events that we have had in our small town- they announce that they have vaccines left at the end of the day, and they just want to use them, so anyone who shows up can get one. However, they do issue you a vaccine card which you are supposed to keep and they make an appointment for you to come back in three weeks to get your second shot (and bring that vaccine card!). 

They started out with maybe 40 left at the end of the day, and now they are up in the 150+ range. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

TX is now only at 1a and 1b stage as in medical personal, first responders, long term care and at least one pre-existing condition. We are in the limited vaccine phase. Spring 2021 is the best estimate of when they will open more. 

We do not need residency or citizenship requirements for a vaccine

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize/covid19/VaccineProviderBestPractices.pdf

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

My son has a job in Texas for the summer that is in-person. His vaccine tier in my state won’t open before he leaves, but I assume he will be eligible in Texas at some point while he is there. My question is: do you have to show Texas residency to get a vaccine? He isn’t changing residency for a 4-month job, but I don’t want to have to bring him home to get a vaccine. Thanks!

We had to. We had to show ID. My sister has been here six months and they won’t let her.

• Like 1

I think you have to be a state resident, but "proof" doesn't have to be a Texas state id. If you have a paystub, rental agreement, utility bill, etc that says you live here, you can get the shot. 

• Like 1

I live in New Mexico, and it has been reported here that people in counties close to Tx are getting vaccinated in Tx. I think it depends on who is setting up the individual vaccination site if they will allow none residents to get vaccinated. It was pointed out in the report that those choosing to go to Tx to get the vaccination have to go back to get the second dose.

• Like 1

I didn't need to show any proof of residency when I got my shot. There have been news stories about people from Colorado traveling to Amarillo and other Texas communities to get shots, so not everywhere has a residency requirement.

• Like 1

It varies; at CVS, I had to show my ID. At a not-too-far county vaccine sight, which opened to all tiers (Hardin, Jasper, Orange Counties -- near the Beaumont area, if that helps your son), they did not ask for ID.  I'm not sure about Walmart, Walgreen's, etc. 

• Like 1

I got mine at a CVS -- They never looked at my ID.  I was 'pre-registered' online and that had my address on it.

When I went in for my first shot I was looking in my purse for my ID-- come to find out DH had removed it from my purse to scan for some (non covid) purpose...  I did have my Tribal Membership Card (I'm a member of the Choctaw Nation)-- but they never asked/checked!

I asked DH-- he had his first shot at a HEB pharmacy in San Antonio-- they did not check ID.

DD had her first shot at a community center in Schertz-- they did take a quick look at her ID-- not for residency-- but for name verification.

• Like 1

I have heard of winter Texans (people from colder climates who winter in south Texas in their RVs (and aren't Texas residents) getting the vaccine in Texas.  I also know university students who are not Texas residents who have received the vaccine in Texas.  Access to a vaccine has differed greatly in different parts of Texas, IME.  So, some will depend upon what part of Texas he will be in and what the vaccine situation is by the time he gets here. The availability is changing quickly.   When it gets closer to time for him to come to Texas, if you are comfortable sharing what part of Texas he will be in, perhaps some of us will have some insights to where he might be able to get a vaccine in that particular part of Texas.  

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

TX is now only at 1a and 1b stage as in medical personal, first responders, long term care and at least one pre-existing condition. We are in the limited vaccine phase. Spring 2021 is the best estimate of when they will open more. 

We do not need residency or citizenship requirements for a vaccine

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize/covid19/VaccineProviderBestPractices.pdf

They have announced that starting Monday it is open to 50 and above.  Also, it was already opened to all teachers and daycare staff

• Like 3

Anyone in the College Station or with a kid in the area please message me.  Vax related.  Looking to expand my phone tree.

Edited by Sdel

I did a survey of sorts among people who were vaccinated because I was curious.

Some older folks like our friends, an amazing man in his 80s, who still dig ditches and his much younger bride as he affectionally calls his wife in her 70s got the vaccine in a hospital. She was not scheduled, but since she was his "caregiver", their words because honestly he is the healthier of the two, he has no pre-existing conditions unless you count age. He was a bit outraged that his wife was called his caregiver, but swallowed it once he realized she could get the vaccine too, unscheduled. 

Many who were in 1B had to register at county level, got an email and text with a QCode. So showed ID and that to get a shot. It was a mass vaccination site. 

So a mixed bag.

• Like 1

Thanks so much to everyone who replied and investigated. My son will be in the Dallas area from the beginning of April until August, so I’m hoping he will be able to get the vaccine at some point while there. 

• Like 1

REGISTER FOR THE COVID VACCINE / REGÍSTRESE PARA LA VACUNA CONTRA EL COVID (site-20) (office.com)

This is the link for the registration for vaccines for Dallas County.  He would not qualify for a vaccine yet unless he has underlying medical conditions, but he can go ahead and get on the waitlist.  He would just need to put his address where he will be in the Dallas area.  

The surrounding counties have their own waitlists.  Depending upon how familiar your son is with the DFW area and if he will have a car would determine how reasonable it would be to get to particular sites.

Some employers have been given doses to administer, so depending upon who he is working for, that may be an avenue for him, also.  

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

REGISTER FOR THE COVID VACCINE / REGÍSTRESE PARA LA VACUNA CONTRA EL COVID (site-20) (office.com)

This is the link for the registration for vaccines for Dallas County.  He would not qualify for a vaccine yet unless he has underlying medical conditions, but he can go ahead and get on the waitlist.  He would just need to put his address where he will be in the Dallas area.  

The surrounding counties have their own waitlists.  Depending upon how familiar your son is with the DFW area and if he will have a car would determine how reasonable it would be to get to particular sites.

Some employers have been given doses to administer, so depending upon who he is working for, that may be an avenue for him, also.  

Wow - thank you so much! This is so incredibly helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Texas is opening COVID vaccines for all over the age of 18 effective March 29th. 

wait, really?! That is very cool (I wish they would include 16+ but still, very cool)