Menu

If you're an Exvangelical...

HS Mom in NC

9 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I was a fairly early homeschooler--my first student was born in 1986--but I was/am neither of the above. Conservative, yes. Fundamentalist, no.

Well, certainly not all homeschoolers fit those two categories, but that was the overall trend. Also, was thinking more of 70s and 80s homeschoolers. Before it was fully legal even. 

15 hours ago, Resilient said:

Long-time lurker here.  There was a really long thread a few years ago that asked something like this.  ... Post-Christian, or Post-Evangelical...I can't find it though.

Raised Methodist, then Presbyterian for at least as many years.  Orthodox now. So thankful. I hope you find a good path.

Welcome out of lurking.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all of your replies.

I was raised in SBC and left in my mid-20s.  I've been in other types of Baptist churches, Bible churches, non-denom and a Calvary Chapel since then. 

I'm currently looking at Presbyterian, Lutheran, and maybe Anglican/Episcopalian.  I haven't ruled out the conservative Quaker option as I've read a lot of Richard J. Foster and it really resonated with me. I know he writes for a much broader Christian audience than Quaker.

• Like 2

I grew up conservative Presbyterian. The denomination has gotten angrier since my Grandparents' generation. It changed from being defined by what they stood for to being defined by what they stood against. Hyper-Calvinism has also been a problem. My husband and I tried to stay since our families had been part of it for a couple hundred years, but we just couldn't. Now we're Methodist. It's not perfect, but there's lots I admire, it's close to our house, and they point us and our children towards Jesus and how to serve him.

• Like 2

Former Fundie here. I grew up in Church of God and Fundamentalist Baptist churches.  They were both KJV-only, talking-in-tongues, you-literally-have-to-say-the-WORDS-to-be-saved-to-go-to-Heaven, girls-can't-wear-pants-at-church-or-camp type churches.  I'm Catholic now.  

Currently I'm listening to a podcast called Leaving Eden by a girl who left and Independent Fundamentalist Baptist cult.  She's about 15 years younger than me so I definitely understand how some of the wacky ideas got started.  Her co-host can get a bit to superior at times, but he's young so I'll give him a pass.  He's also Jewish, which is a really good choice for the podcasts because he asks her to explain things that I assumed were common knowledge, but really aren't outside of evangelical circles. It's really interesting.  When I went down my cult bunny trail during the pandemic I never expected it to hit so close to home.  Like the podcast girl, I still haven't brought myself to watch Jesus Camp on netflix.

I think if you believe other denominations are getting into heaven, you might not be a evangelical.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Thank you for all of your replies.

I was raised in SBC and left in my mid-20s.  I've been in other types of Baptist churches, Bible churches, non-denom and a Calvary Chapel since then. 

I'm currently looking at Presbyterian, Lutheran, and maybe Anglican/Episcopalian.  I haven't ruled out the conservative Quaker option as I've read a lot of Richard J. Foster and it really resonated with me. I know he writes for a much broader Christian audience than Quaker.

I grew up ELCA Lutheran ❤️.

Dh grew up reformed and after marriage we went to a lot of different churches that were probably what's now considered evangelicals.  It was killing me.

I read a lot of NT Wright and thought Anglican might be a good fit not knowing that Anglican in the US is *not* the same.  That was a terrible experience because they split from Episcopal and were defined by what they were against. (Be aware that Anglican and Episcopal are not interchangeable in the states)

We are now in an Episcopal church and I love it!  It is a wonderful mix of the Lutheran and Catholic heritage of my family. ❤️

The Foster books I read also touched me and I always get Quaker in online quizzes!

I wish there was a term other than "evangelical" because it doesn't mean the rest of us never tell anyone about Jesus!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Dh grew up reformed and after marriage we went to a lot of different churches that were probably what's now considered evangelicals.  It was killing me.

I read a lot of NT Wright and thought Anglican might be a good fit not knowing that Anglican in the US is *not* the same.  That was a terrible experience because they split from Episcopal and were defined by what they were against. (Be aware that Anglican and Episcopal are not interchangeable in the states)

We are now in an Episcopal church and I love it!  It is a wonderful mix of the Lutheran and Catholic heritage of my family. ❤️

The Foster books I read also touched me and I always get Quaker in online quizzes!

I wish there was a term other than "evangelical" because it doesn't mean the rest of us never tell anyone about Jesus!

Aw, another ELCA Lutheran!  I loved my Danish Lutheran church growing up.  So many great, loving memories!  I've also been on an NT Wright kick lately and am enjoying his books.  My dh (Catholic upbringing) and I considered attending an Episcopal church years ago, but there really were none where we were living for so many years.  We attend a non-denominational church now that I truly love, although I admit there are things about the Lutheran church that I miss.

• Like 1

Don't you wish there was a category that is apolitical evangelicalism?  I resonate with what this pastor had to say in this quote:

Perhaps most urgent of all, I want to avoid contributing to a crisis prevalent in our time, namely, the subordination of faith to politicized identities and partisan politics. It wasn’t always this way or this extreme. But increasingly, people in the pew derive their moral meaning from their politics. Instead of allowing their theological convictions and values to shape their political perspectives, many Christians now interpret faith through the prism of their political ideology. The preacher’s task is to help people focus on their religious identity ahead of their partisan identity, and not all language helps with this task.

https://www.christiancentury.org/article/editorpublisher/politics-pulpit-and-my-pastoral-calling?fbclid=IwAR2hUdOIJJxUfKO5jO5Mb05fu4k35ebP6Q--9TJ4NgTwnMkaZQkSW84L4vA

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, happi duck said:

I've always loved the ELCA Lutheran churches...I think of them as the ones with good preschools and private schools, lol. And then I think of United Methodist Churches as having the best youth groups and pumpkin patches. And Episcopal Churches have the best coffee, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a theologian I follow on Facebook and his recent post reminded me of this thread.  He talks about how the term "evangelical" has changed over time, among other things.  I found it a very interesting post!

https://www.revrobschenck.com/blog/2021/3/14/should-i-stay-an-evangelical?fbclid=IwAR3lpXRC6M43A_wwspAQaW1J26WI1CtytMDIf-gji6mPHq0esWcPk_elqzw

• Like 3