Menu

What's the best AP Prep book for Calculus AB or BC?

My son took the Calculus AB AP test this past May (2008). He used The Princeton Review Calculus AB & BC exam prep book along with the first half of the Chalkdust Calculus course. When he finished a concept in Chalkdust, he studied and did practice problems in the Princeton Review book. I checked his math from the Chalkdust book, trying my best to keep up with the sections. During the two weeks before the test he did the practice tests in the PR book. He checked his own work in the PR book He felt he was well-prepared for the test, and he received a score of 5.

It took him such a long time to finish Chalkdust Precalculus (18 months, started at the beginning of his Junior year in High School) that he didn't get started on Calculus until January of 2008. I wish he had had the chance to finish the whole book at home; then he could have taken the BC exam.

It was actually fine for him to do the first half of the Calculus book between January and May because that is how a typical college Calculus course is scheduled. Most beginning Calculus courses use the same book for both semesters, and that is how the Larson Calculus book used in Chalkdust is designed. Keep in mind that Chalkdust has only produced DVD instruction for the first half of the book. If you are planning to do the whole Chalkdust book, ask them to sell you the solutions manual for the second half of the book (I don't think they advertise that they sell it, but they have it).

When he started school at Virginia Tech in August he still had to take a placement test to verify that he was qualified to take second semester Calculus, even though he got a 5 on the AB AP test. I just thought you might want to know that.

HTH,

GardenMom

Thank you GardenMom for such a complete reply! Yes, I know what you mean about covering the course at a faster pace. Can be done. I do live Dana Mosley and Chalkdust and your strategy for prep is very appealing. Just can't fork out the moola for Chalkdust at this time. Am hoping that the extensive coverage from Dr. Burger through Thinkwell will maybe work with your strategy. We have done the lectures and the daily questions so now the results will be revealed with a practice test!

I appreciate suggestions since I am about two hours away from the closest bookstore that would carry these prep books and it is impossible t tell online. They do vary by subject too from our previous experience so this really helps.

Thanks again,

Mary