Menu

Where do you keep your fly swatter?

Amethyst

We have a little closet area under our stairs where the water heater lives. It also has a bar for hanging things. Our flyswatter lives there, where it can hang and not touch anything else. When I've had to store a flyswatter in not-so-secluded areas in the past I always put the business end inside a quart sized Ziploc bag.

22 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

So, you people who don’t own fly swatters, do you just use newspaper or something or do you just live with Mr Buzzawuzz?

My husband is good at snatching them out of the air, but I usually just let them out a window.

While I don't recall ever using it, we have a fly swatter hanging in our laundry room.

I put an over-the-door hook hanger thingy over the edge of our laundry tub.  It holds small items like the dustpan, a little broom, the fly swatter, and a few other doo dads.

53 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

We keep ours in the kitchen. I sort of find that gross. It’s not near food or dishes or pots and pans. It’s accessible to all the downstairs rooms which I guess is why we keep it there. But yuck. You?

Same here.  Yuck.  But you gotta have one.  I try to keep it under the sink with the cleaning supplies.  But when it is getting a lot of use I end up hanging in on the cabinet knob under kitchen sink.  That way it doesn't touch anything except maybe the outside of the cabinet which I can easily wipe down.  

We got DS a electric fly swatter.  It is kept on top of a bookcase near our coat closet.  We don't use it very often though.  I would like to find a better spot, but haven't so far.

When I was a kid, we just used our cat.  He loved to chase flies and other bugs.

11 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

But when it is getting a lot of use I end up hanging in on the cabinet knob under kitchen sink.  That way it doesn't touch anything except maybe the outside of the cabinet which I can easily wipe down.  

I tried hanging it on the knob under the kitchen sink, but our dog just comes by and starts licking it. 

Edited by Marie.Sd
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

So, you people who don’t own fly swatters, do you just use newspaper or something or do you just live with Mr Buzzawuzz?

We don't get flies inside often, but when we do I just use my shoe.

My grandmother used to use a flyswatter -- after spraying them with hairspray so that their wings would stick together and couldn't fly away

• Like 1

On a hook on the side of the fridge...kinda in a crack between the fridge and cabinet. 

also have one on the laundry room door. 

we have many flies because we have cows.

as gross as fly swats are...it’s better than having flies in the house.

ETA: growing up did any of your get swatted by your parent with a fly swat? Like some parents take off a flip flop and swat their kids, I knew of parents who’d swat their kids with the fly seater.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2

First of all, I like the idea of putting it under the sink or in the laundry room. Better than our current location (on top of microwave). 

Second of all, I had no idea that there were places in this country that didn’t get flies. Like, what?? Really? I thought maybe Antarctica. But this country? Who knew!

Third, cats eat flies??! Well, this is a real educational day for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm guessing none of them live in the south . . .

Or the midwest. I saw, “We don’t own one,” and my jaw dropped. 

We own several. We own swatters, bug candles, and electrifying rackets. Granted, we live down the road from a hig confinement unit AND we have a bajillion kids running in/out all day long. 😂 

ETA: I agree they are gross. You know what’s really disgusting? Fly poop on doorways, fly poop on walls, fly poop on light fixtures... Yes, I have painted a ceiling just because I despise fly specks. 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I live in the midwest and we get flies in the house.  But not enough to justify the grossness of squishing flies with a floppy piece of plastic.  I have never had so many flies that I end up with many fly specks on light fixtures, doorways etc?  

When I have had flies, I find they tend to be attracted to the open windows, so I just move the screen and let them fly away.......

When the cows are up near the house, it’s not unusual for us to kill 15-20 flies in the house a day. Thankfully most of our pasture is away from the house.

we also started using fly tags and that makes a big difference.

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

First of all, I like the idea of putting it under the sink or in the laundry room. Better than our current location (on top of microwave). 

Second of all, I had no idea that there were places in this country that didn’t get flies. Like, what?? Really? I thought maybe Antarctica. But this country? Who knew!

Third, cats eat flies??! Well, this is a real educational day for me!

Right? Me too.