Menu

Finding clothes that fit

HollyDay

I am in need of new summer shorts.  None of the clothing stores in my area allow the trying on of clothes (and haven't for the past year).  I have lost 20 lbs and am unsure of my current size.  Also, I don't find it easy to use size charts when online ordering (gravity is "stronger" now that I'm closer to 60).  Do y'all have any suggestions for finding shorts that will fit sight unseen?  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

I am in need of new summer shorts.  None of the clothing stores in my area allow the trying on of clothes (and haven't for the past year).  I have lost 20 lbs and am unsure of my current size.  Also, I don't find it easy to use size charts when online ordering (gravity is "stronger" now that I'm closer to 60).  Do y'all have any suggestions for finding shorts that will fit sight unseen?  

Really??  I haven't been in a store since last March.  I had no idea this is still a thing.  Ordering online really stinks unless you know your size in that brand.  Do you have any stores near you?  Like if you have a Walmart can you order online and try things on and then return what doesn't fit?  

Or return Amazon things easily? 

Congrats on the notable weight loss! We can't try on in stores around here either. Well, Target anyway, I may never return to the mall ever so I don't know what those stores are doing. But everybody is accepting returns, so i would take my best guess and then return whatever doesn't work.

• Like 2

Do you have Style Encore?  That and its sister store, Plato's Closet, are the only local stores with open fitting rooms.  The clothing is used, but usually it's still in great shape.  If nothing else, it might be a way to figure out what size you need and some brands that seem to fit okay.

Consider Amazon's Prime Wardrobe.  They'll send you up to 8 items, then you send back what doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=14807110011&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=336417175914&hvpos=&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17253353365506573681&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014633&hvtargid=kwd-310529098308&ref=pd_sl_329490uibd_e

Also, some online stores provide the actual measurements of the garment, in addition to the estimated body measurements of the wearer.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

It doesn’t really solve the specific problem of shorts and recent weight loss, but I’ve found that Stitch Fix is FABULOUS about being able to discern brand-to-brand sizing. I’ve had a ton of pants sent, and only one that wasn’t an excellent fit.  Just a note for anyone thinking about the broader issue of internet shopping!

• Like 2

In our area Old Navy will let you try on stuff and several thrift/consignment stores will.

Another option (and yes you can laugh at me) is to wear some thin exercise capris/leggings under your clothes and then at the store, take your pants off and try the shorts on over the exercise capris/leggings.  I see lots of women doing this.

It depends on whether you are looking for beach shorts, cargo shorts, culottes, denim shorts, golf shorts. 
For cargo shorts and golf shorts, I just go for my hip measurement and wear a belt. For knee length denim shorts, I could just go by the waist since they tend to be generous and stretchy at the hip.

I would just order different size and different cuts if ordering online as long as returning to store is easy. Even with the same brand, I have difficulty getting the correct fit for my teens and me. 

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Confession: I would prefer to chew my own toenails than try things on in a store, even pre-Covid (ewwww).

When I lost weight and had no idea what size to order, Amazon Prime Wardrobe rocked.  Also, I did a lot of ordering several sizes from stores I like - and just planned to return.  Lands End had easy returns.  I am basically allergic to the post office, and am notoriously bad with returns, but I just planned for it, and scheduled those UPS pick ups ASAP.  It wasn’t too bad.

Good luck!  Hopefully you’ll find new clothes that you love!

I agree with everyone above. There are a ton of things on Amazon with free returns. We’ve used that a LOT during the past year. 

also, I like ordering online from stores that I have locally, so I can return them in store easily and free. Old Navy and Academy have been great for this. 

regarding stores that let you try on currently if you’re interested in that:  Old Navy, JC Penney, American Eagle, Dillard’s, Maurice’s. That’s all that I know of. 

Good luck and congratulations on the weight loss!

Order on Amazon and read the comments very carefully. You can learn a lot from people who are your size and even if they aren’t. Like, if someone is 6 inches taller than you and comments, “These parts are waaaay too short,” then you know they’ll probably fit you fine.

• Like 1

I ordered a bunch of dresses from Target, brought them home, tried them on, and went back to the store to return the ones that didn’t fit. 

I’m sure people are doing that a lot lately.

And like an OP said, you could wear tight biker shorts and try on the shorts you want right there in the middle of the store. I did that with some shirts—wore a cami and took off my overshirt and tried on the shirts right there in Kohl’s near one of the mirrors they have on the columns. Another customer walked by and said, “That shirt looks really nice on you!” It did! I bought it.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyDay said:

Huge congratulations!! Losing after 50 is no day at the beach. ♥♥♥

2 hours ago, Beth S said:

Consider Amazon's Prime Wardrobe.  They'll send you up to 8 items, then you send back what doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=14807110011&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=336417175914&hvpos=&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17253353365506573681&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014633&hvtargid=kwd-310529098308&ref=pd_sl_329490uibd_e

Also, some online stores provide the actual measurements of the garment, in addition to the estimated body measurements of the wearer.

Such a great idea. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

It doesn’t really solve the specific problem of shorts and recent weight loss, but I’ve found that Stitch Fix is FABULOUS about being able to discern brand-to-brand sizing. I’ve had a ton of pants sent, and only one that wasn’t an excellent fit.  Just a note for anyone thinking about the broader issue of internet shopping!

I'd sure love to hear more about Stitch Fix. It's just so hard to imagine that it would work, but I hear raves. Can you share the cost?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I'd sure love to hear more about Stitch Fix. It's just so hard to imagine that it would work, but I hear raves. Can you share the cost?

Most of my categories are set to the cheapest they have. They usually send me tops in the $40 range and pants $55-80. Other stuff really varies.

They take off either 20 or 25% if you keep the whole 5-piece order, so I sometimes keep one thing I don’t like in order to come out ahead. Otherwise, I never feel obligated to keep anything. Return shipping is free. I’ve gotten pickier along the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Most of my categories are set to the cheapest they have. They usually send me tops in the $40 range and pants $55-80. Other stuff really varies.

They take off either 20 or 25% if you keep the whole 5-piece order, so I sometimes keep one thing I don’t like in order to come out ahead. Otherwise, I never feel obligated to keep anything. Return shipping is free. I’ve gotten pickier along the way.

How do you do the return? To a UPS store?

3 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

How do you do the return? To a UPS store?

They provide a plastic envelope thingy for USPS. You check out online first, marking what you’ll keep and what you’re returning, so you’re charged accordingly and don’t have to depend on money being refunded. But the $20 fee does get auto charged when they ship your package out. And then applied to your purchase if you’re keeping stuff.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

They provide a plastic envelope thingy for USPS. You check out online first, marking what you’ll keep and what you’re returning, so you’re charged accordingly and don’t have to depend on money being refunded. But the $20 fee does get auto charged when they ship your package out. And then applied to your purchase if you’re keeping stuff.

So you just return to the post office. I sure could use some help in the wardrobe department, Do you get credit if I say that you referred me?

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

So you just return to the post office. I sure could use some help in the wardrobe department, Do you get credit if I say that you referred me?

Yup! It could probably even be dropped in a random mail box, but I go to the PO to get a receipt.
I’ll shoot you a link that can give us each a $25 credit.