Jump to content

Menu

Large family mudroom or coat and shoe storage? How do you have yours set up? Bonus points if you live in 4 season location


Recommended Posts

I am thinking of redoing our coat and shoe storage.  It worked fine when everyone was little and so were their shoes and coats.  Now I have kids bigger than me.  

I was thinking of something like this

Prepac Drifted Gray 60 in. Wide Hall Tree with 24 Shoe Cubbies-DSOG-0013-1 - The Home Depot 

But dang it it is expensive for that prefab wood

Plus it may or may not really store 24 pairs of shoes.  If it only stores 12 that kind of stinks. 

 

Or I was going to get a single cheap one per kid that is a wire one.  Not a long term solution, but I could do that really cheaply.

And that it would be for 2 kids

I have an old California closet storage thing that works for one kiddo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those types of things don’t seem feasible when dealing with mud, rain, and snow. It seems like they would be a PITA to sweep out and the wood would warp quickly. We have plastic boot trays and they get filthy quickly. I shake them outside and then hose them down in my sink.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my house, there is a wide closet on the way in from the garage. On the inside of one closet door, I have an over-door fabric pocket thing for shoes. I also have wire shelves on the floor of the closet for shoes. I have a plastic set of drawers for hats, neck gaiters and gloves. 

I recognize, though, that I was lucky to have that wall where a closet could go. Those cubby things I think would bother me because they would usually have been messy. At least with a closet, I can close the doors and ignore it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The laundry room is right off of the garage. So, I turned it into a mud room.

Each kid has a double hook similar to this: https://www.wayfair.com/Liberty--Decorative-Wall-Mounted-Double-Prong-Robe-Hook-B46114Q-L7245-K~LBTY1540.html?refid=MX79233606139034-LBTY1540&device=c&ptid=4582833186116609&targetid=pla-4582833186116609&channel=BingPLA&network=s&msclkid=3920d8563bfa173dbff3b81e386ab96f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WF.P.US.G.Plumbing (SCA)&utm_term=4582833186116609&utm_content=49_7245_0~[Global] Plumbing - Towel %26 Robe Hooks

Underneath those hooks, which are used for bags and jackets, is a large basket for each kid. The baskets are for shoes and during winter, gloves, hats, etc. They all get dumped in there. DH finally got around to building a case for the baskets a couple of years ago. No way would my kids put their shoes in those little cubbies; they're dumpers, so I went with it.

DH has an over the door hook for his coat, and I have an over the door hook for my coat. One is on the door to the kitchen, one is the water softener closet door. I have a basket for my shoes. DH keeps his shoes in our closet. 

We do switch out jackets and coats, etc every season. During the crossover, we shake out the baskets and tighten up the hooks if necessary. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s pretty but I agree the closed design wouldn’t age well when dealing with weather.

 
 

I’ve heard good things about the ikea shoe bench (dirt and snow just falls through): https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tjusig-bench-with-shoe-storage-white-70152702/

I don’t have room in my foyer for a bench right now. I thought about tearing out a coat closet to replace it with lockers and decided local buyers don’t like trends like that. 
 

In the closet I have a metal shoe rack, a big plastic boot tray for really wet stuff, and a few shelf/bin combos on the walls like this: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Storage-Organization/Wall-Storage-Organization/Gray-Three-Tiered-Wire-Basket-Wall-Organizer/p/80922193

 

I also put coat hooks on one wall, behind the hanging rod. This means it’s just as quick to throw coats on hooks as it is on the floor.

On the upper shelves I got cheap popup laundry hampers and used iron on letters to label them with names. Extra hats, coats, and out of season stuff all fits into each person’s hamper, and unlike the wider bins I tried before they are narrow enough to fit on the shelf, us up most of the vertical space, and are easy to get up & down without spilling. Out of season stuff that doesn’t fit gets decluttered or goes to the person’s bedroom closet. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an unfair advantage. Our house was designed by an old farmer. You come in through the garage into a devoted mud room. Take off boots and hang up coats. Then into the laundry - take off anything muddy. There is a bathroom to one side. Finally, you enter the house. 
I tend to try to avoid buying stuff to organize my stuff... it generally never works out the way I’d like and I’m disappointed that I spent money and got more stuff.

They have outdoor boots and play shoes. Boots get packed away when it isn’t winter. Chore boots are out all the time. Play shoes are always out. Good shoes go immediately to your room. It is not convenient - 1/2 our bedrooms are through the house and down the basement, but it is the only way to manage this many humans... And each human has two feet and multiple shoes! 
 

Likewise Carhartts go on big wooden pegs my father-in-law made. Good coats come in and are put in an interior coat closet.

Four seasons here with one being snow and one being mud. 😉

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How much space do you have available for this space? 
4seasons and kids wearing larger shoes is a hard one. I found that the rain boots ,snow boots don’t fit height or depth in  many of the prefab units when the kids sizes got bigger plus need area for the mud/snow to dry off. 
 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Location is seasons change by the day, snowstorms can shut us down aka TX so may not be relevant.

However, we deal with it by divide and conquer.

We normally enter through the garage, cars are parked there. So whatever coats we have live there, rarely used. But we do not use coats like other people who live in locations in actual seasons. Our "coats" are mostly hoodies, leather jackets, sweater coats which hang in closets. 

Rain coats hang in the coat rack in the garage along with the wellies. 

The garage also has a shoe rack for potentially muddy shoes like walking or running shoes, general use sneaker and outdoor/garden shoes for the entire family .DH and DS have most of their shoes in the garage except formal shoes. Since DD and I are also fancy shoe wearers like boots, flats, heels we keep those in our closets. 

We also use multiple house shoes that float around the house to the patio and porch so we have cute benches with hidden storage at the back door and front door to hide said shoes. 

Do you guys not have any trouble with bugs or anything in your shoes?   If we left a shoe in the garage a spider or mouse would make a home in it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quill said:

In my house, there is a wide closet on the way in from the garage. On the inside of one closet door, I have an over-door fabric pocket thing for shoes. I also have wire shelves on the floor of the closet for shoes. I have a plastic set of drawers for hats, neck gaiters and gloves. 

I recognize, though, that I was lucky to have that wall where a closet could go. Those cubby things I think would bother me because they would usually have been messy. At least with a closet, I can close the doors and ignore it. 

By the front door we have a small closet.  Not enough for all 7 of us.  Then the garage enters into a mud/pantry/laundry room.  I loved it when we moved in, but now in my dream home I have a room for each thing instead of having it all in one room.  Our house doesn't have much for actual built in storage. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Those types of things don’t seem feasible when dealing with mud, rain, and snow. It seems like they would be a PITA to sweep out and the wood would warp quickly. We have plastic boot trays and they get filthy quickly. I shake them outside and then hose them down in my sink.

Good point.  I have one that is made out of that and it has held up fine.  I think we have done an ok job about not putting wet shoes in it.  We are using boot trays for the first time this year.  Why didn't I think of those years ago????   They have at least contained the wet boot puddles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, history-fan said:

How much space do you have available for this space? 
4seasons and kids wearing larger shoes is a hard one. I found that the rain boots ,snow boots don’t fit height or depth in  many of the prefab units when the kids sizes got bigger plus need area for the mud/snow to dry off. 
 

 

 

I would have to go and measure it, but not much.   This room is a rectangle.  One short side is a pantry shelving system and one long side is washer and dryer.  So I have one short side and one long side for this.  Currently the short side has wire shelving on the wall that holds their bags and baskets of hats and things and a shoe bench under the wire shelves.   The long side has bench for shoes and a waist high shelf for shoes.  Then there are command hooks on the wall.  But the hooks don't work well over time and end up falling.  But yeah my 3 older kids all wear adult size shoes.  And right now we have all the boots and winter gear still out so it is packed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve always eyed those systems but I personally don’t think just one would Work. I’d need at least two. 
We enter through our garage (Into laundry room) and put hooks up on the wall. Each person has their own and there is enough spacing between them that things fit well without falling or being crowded. They can hang their enter coats and snow pants there.  In the summer it’s their backpack for outings, swim gear and a lite jacket. Winter boats and wet or dirty shoes go on boot trays along the wall and since we have an inside door in that hallway I use an over the door shoe organizer for flip flops and gym shoes. DH and I keep our shoes in our room to save space being crowded. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

By the front door we have a small closet.  Not enough for all 7 of us.  Then the garage enters into a mud/pantry/laundry room.  I loved it when we moved in, but now in my dream home I have a room for each thing instead of having it all in one room.  Our house doesn't have much for actual built in storage. 

I don’t know how recently your home was built, but that is one thing I notice quite a lot on “modern” house plans: not enough family-use closet space. Some have enormous master closets but no coat closet. And with the popularity of “open concept”, I notice there is often foregoing of storage so everything is “open.” 

I live in a four-season climate, too, and when we built this house, I had certain things specifically configured so there would be a ton of storage for kid gear. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Quill said:

I don’t know how recently your home was built, but that is one thing I notice quite a lot on “modern” house plans: not enough family-use closet space. Some have enormous master closets but no coat closet. And with the popularity of “open concept”, I notice there is often foregoing of storage so everything is “open.” 

I live in a four-season climate, too, and when we built this house, I had certain things specifically configured so there would be a ton of storage for kid gear. 

Yep, that is my house.   And when we built this house we had one infant.  Didn't think we would have any other kids.  And if magically we did it was a max of 2 in my mind at that time.  And we didn't think we would stay here long.  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is our laundry room. [Removed picture] Each kid has a hook and a shoe shelf. Some shelves are bigger & can handle boots. DH & I have over-the-door hooks & shoe shelves, too.

It looks a little sparse because DH just thinned out everything. It is pretty tight, but it works for us. ETA: 5 kids but one is off at college now. Four seasons.

Roller skates & roller blades do not not fit in this setup. They end up on the floor. :(

 

Edited by RootAnn
Added # kids & seasons; removed picture
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For shoe storage- we enter the house from the garage and shoes come off in the garage.  We have ventilated shelving (like Rubbermaid) by the door, 4’ long by 16” wide. And the shelves are probably a foot apart in height. Everyone has one shelf to put (toss) their shoes on.  It’s not neat, but everyone is good about using their own shelf and that’s a huge help. It keeps them off the floor and  organized by person.  It’s my best solution yet, because I’ve tried many 🙂
 

eta- all adult sized feet/shoes (5 of us)

Edited by matrips
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don’t have a mud room or any space that could act as one. I did put a shoe cabinet with adjustable shelves at the front door. It’s a nightmare to clean, but our best option.

With 5-7 of us, some of us keep one pair there and others get two, and changes by season. Non-everyday-shoes are kept in bedrooms. Coats are generally kept in bedrooms, though mine has been living on the back of a chair during the deep cold since I mostly take the dog out and my bedroom is all the way upstairs. (Kids are downstairs.)

When the boys are playing in snow and mud, they take their wet and muddy stuff to the bathroom to dry/be cleaned before being put away.

Small cubbies would not make sense for us with almost all adultt sized feet, snow boots, rain boots, work boots, and casual boots. We’re a very boot family, lol. But even some of our sneakers, including more than just high topped chucks, can be a tight squeeze in pre-set areas.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have these lockers that my DH built, one for each kid (the picture only shows a few). They're in the long narrow laundry room that is between the garage and the rest of the house. I also have stuff piled on top. Snow pants and other misc cold weather stuff is in the top cubby. Then 3 hooks in the long section for coats and jackets, then a shelf for "nice" shoes and the bottom/floor cubby for boots and flip flops and messier shoes.

16153804946406648369039233994553.jpg

Edited by Momto6inIN
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

We have these lockers that my DH built, one for each kid (the picture only shows a few). They're in the long narrow laundry room that is between the garage and the rest of the house. I also have stuff piled on top. Snow pants and other misc cold weather stuff is in the top cubby. Then 3 hooks in the long section for coats and jackets, then a shelf for "nice" shoes and the bottom/floor cubby for boots and flip flops and messier shoes.

16153804946406648369039233994553.jpg

Oh maybe I should have dh build that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Quill said:

I don’t know how recently your home was built, but that is one thing I notice quite a lot on “modern” house plans: not enough family-use closet space. Some have enormous master closets but no coat closet. And with the popularity of “open concept”, I notice there is often foregoing of storage so everything is “open.” 

 

YUP. 

Annoying as heck. My current house has ONE closet, other than clothe's closets. ONE. How do you store a family's linens, coats, shoes, vacuum, broom, etc all in ONE small closet????? Not like there is some other linen closet in the master or something, that's it. And no laundry room, just an alcove in the kitchen. I'd HAPPILY have a smaller living or family room to have another closet! Who designs these things? Men who have no idea where the vacuum and such are stored in their own house, I bet!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Our house was a new build in what was a semi-rural area then rapidly transitioning to urban. It was a former ranch actually with large acreage sold for developments, so it was on pasture or land that was never actively used. So we had a huge problem of scorpions inside and mice in the garage. A few rattlers in some yards, luckily not ours though we have a green belt behind our backyard, not houses. Pretty much all residents had pest control come regularly. We have never stopped in the 15 years even during the pandemic, they usually spray inside the garage once a year and also a heavy border outside the back door, front door and the entrance to the garage from the driveway I think 3 times a year. We have never had to worry about any pests both inside and outside. It is colorless and odorless and pet safe. 

Ahhhhhh!   Got it now.  That must be how people do it.  I walk around our block and see that people do store their shoes and such in their garages and wonder how they do it.  Duh.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

YUP. 

Annoying as heck. My current house has ONE closet, other than clothe's closets. ONE. How do you store a family's linens, coats, shoes, vacuum, broom, etc all in ONE small closet????? Not like there is some other linen closet in the master or something, that's it. And no laundry room, just an alcove in the kitchen. I'd HAPPILY have a smaller living or family room to have another closet! Who designs these things? Men who have no idea where the vacuum and such are stored in their own house, I bet!

15 years ago when we were looking to purchase a house, I thought my realtor was going to strangle me when he'd take me to these fancy new houses and I would walk around and go, "Where would you store the vacuum/board games/broom/etc?" or "No coat closet. I'm not laying wet, snowy coats on my bed when I have guests." or  "Where would we store our snowpants during the summer?" or "I NEED a laundry room. It takes all day to do laundry (I had one child and one on the way) already. I am not having laundry piles stacked in the kitchen!"

I can pick apart houses like no one's business. It probably comes from our moving incessantly when I was growing up. My mom was a realtor for a while as well, so she is a good person to have on house tours. 

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I installed hooks (high and low) on the inside of our coat closet door and the door to the basement (which is near our entryway).  For the kids' shoes, I use these, hung in the coat closet. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5NBQGO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also have a tilt out shoe bench (double wide) ... I can't find a photo of it.  And a coat tree, but it is only OK to hold light jackets.

I prefer storage that hides clutter rather than displaying it.  🙂  Just a personal preference.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should add that when it comes to still-wet shoes, boots, and coats, we just leave them on the entryway rug to dry, and then they get put away.  If they are super gross, they go to the laundry.  Super muddy boots etc. can be left on a waterproof mat just outside the door.

Edited by SKL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ktgrok said:

YUP. 

Annoying as heck. My current house has ONE closet, other than clothe's closets. ONE. How do you store a family's linens, coats, shoes, vacuum, broom, etc all in ONE small closet????? Not like there is some other linen closet in the master or something, that's it. And no laundry room, just an alcove in the kitchen. I'd HAPPILY have a smaller living or family room to have another closet! Who designs these things? Men who have no idea where the vacuum and such are stored in their own house, I bet!

Tangent, but whenever I am watching those home reno shows and the designers remove coat closets so everything can be “open,” I mutter bad words as I watch. 

Literally, anytime I am looking at house plans, one of the first things I look for is closet space near all the exterior doors, or at least, a way to put closets in there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Quill said:

Tangent, but whenever I am watching those home reno shows and the designers remove coat closets so everything can be “open,” I mutter bad words as I watch. 

Literally, anytime I am looking at house plans, one of the first things I look for is closet space near all the exterior doors, or at least, a way to put closets in there. 

People take OUT closets?!?!?!?!?! I might throw something at the TV, lol. 

I already get mad when they take out "unsightly" ceiling fans. Probably because I'm in Florida, and fans help keep you from spending a fortune on your A/C bill! Those things are useful! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ktgrok said:

People take OUT closets?!?!?!?!?! I might throw something at the TV, lol. 

I already get mad when they take out "unsightly" ceiling fans. Probably because I'm in Florida, and fans help keep you from spending a fortune on your A/C bill! Those things are useful! 

I strongly agree!!!  A friend is a realtor and just had an entry way reno post.  They took out the front closet of a 3 bedroom ranch. The before picture had shelves with food, cleaning stuff and coats for 4 seasons in OH. It did look cluttered but where the heck else is that stuff supposed to go? The after picture has a bench and 4 coat hooks.  I didn't want to personally argue with them on their realty facebook page, but I myself have worn 4 different coats just this week alone. Everyone else in my family also has multiple winter coats, raincoats, fleece jackets etc. Also I'm not sure if the photo is my friend's personal house or a client; however, my friend's kids are under 7.  I'm tired of tripping on the men's size boots and shoes in my house.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

People take OUT closets?!?!?!?!?! I might throw something at the TV, lol. 

I already get mad when they take out "unsightly" ceiling fans. Probably because I'm in Florida, and fans help keep you from spending a fortune on your A/C bill! Those things are useful! 

I’m not in FL, but I agree. We have “outdated” ceilings fans in every bedroom, the family room, sunroom and office. Replacing those with useless cobweb-generating chandeliers is the thing I don’t understand. All summer long, those fans are super useful. 
I also hate it when they demolish fireplaces. I love a fireplace; it adds a lot of charm to a room and would never demolish one, no matter how dated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I’m not in FL, but I agree. We have “outdated” ceilings fans in every bedroom, the family room, sunroom and office. Replacing those with useless cobweb-generating chandeliers is the thing I don’t understand. 

I guess I'm going to cement my out-of-styleness because we are replacing a chandelier-ish light fixture with a new ceiling fan above our kitchen table. We looked at light fixtures which would give more light for our kitchen remodel but couldn't find any one thing to give lots of multidirectional light (over the table plus into the new cabinets that will be going along one wall). Plus, 70% of them were hideous. The ceiling fan will give good light & keep the area cooler in the summer. Win-win.

I might have picked this house with its super small kitchen for its massive closet storage areas. Yes, it has carpet in the bathrooms & under the kitchen table, but that's easier to fix than having to add closets!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I already get mad when they take out "unsightly" ceiling fans. Probably because I'm in Florida, and fans help keep you from spending a fortune on your A/C bill! Those things are useful! 

I didn't even know ceiling fans were considered "bad" - I considered ceiling fans in all the rooms as a *selling point* when we bought our FL and TX houses.  (In our rental house in IL we ended up buying floor fans for every room, which is way more "unsightly" and annoying.)  Here's one more reason why I'd be a poor fit for those reno shows - you'd have to pry my ceiling fans out of my cold, dead hands, lol.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We live in a condo where our entry area is a long 4 ft wide hallway. We don't have a closet.  For the 17 years that we have been here, my system has been a bookcase with adjustable shelves (6 ft tall, 30 inches wide), a bench, a boot tray under the bench, a rolling coat rack, and I nailed a couple of strips of pegs to the chair rail across from the bookcase, so little people could hang up little coats. Everyone has a bin on one of their shelves to hold their gloves, hats, scarves, etc, and the rest of the shelves are filled with shoes. The shelves are spaced about 6 inches apart, but I left more space at the bottom for winter boots. Some boots that don't get worn very often are up on top of the bookcase.

eta:

I don't have a large family, but I have an ex who brought all of these shoes on a weekend trip to his mother's house: bike shoes, running shoes, work boots, boat shoes, beach shoes, nice dining out shoes, slippers, and his driving shoes. 🙄

 

Edited by slackermom
eta
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a just-barely-adequate system, that breaks down some during winter (when southern winter alternates with short periods of winter-winter).  We have no entry way or closet or anything convenient like that.  Instead, we have a jacket/bench/shoe holder thing next to one side of the door, and boot trays next to the other side.  The jacket holder is sufficient for jackets, but not for winter coats - they have separate command hooks stuck to the side of available bookcases (ds's is across from the back door, while the girls' are on the shelf right next to their bedroom; dh's and mine fit on the holder).  The dining table is right next to the holder, so jackets often overflow on the chairs there and have to be pared back <sigh>.  On the bench is a laundry basket that holds sandals, and the two shoe rows hold the kids' closed-toed shoes plus my boots (just barely - constant overflow and paring back issues).  The boot trays hold one pair of "quick access shoes to take dogs out" per person - mostly crocs and sandals, but boots when winter is particularly winter-y (crocs/sandals go into the basket then; boots are stored in closets most of the year).  We have two baskets, one each for summer hats and winter hats/mittens, that sits on the dog crate next to the front door.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, BlsdMama said:

I have an unfair advantage. Our house was designed by an old farmer. You come in through the garage into a devoted mud room. Take off boots and hang up coats. Then into the laundry - take off anything muddy. There is a bathroom to one side. Finally, you enter the house. 
I tend to try to avoid buying stuff to organize my stuff... it generally never works out the way I’d like and I’m disappointed that I spent money and got more stuff.

They have outdoor boots and play shoes. Boots get packed away when it isn’t winter. Chore boots are out all the time. Play shoes are always out. Good shoes go immediately to your room. It is not convenient - 1/2 our bedrooms are through the house and down the basement, but it is the only way to manage this many humans... And each human has two feet and multiple shoes! 
 

Likewise Carhartts go on big wooden pegs my father-in-law made. Good coats come in and are put in an interior coat closet.

Four seasons here with one being snow and one being mud. 😉

☝️This is almost exactly the way our house is set up, only with laundry down the stair before you enter the main house.  I designed the mudroom/bathroom and when we first finished it I had a shoe organizer like you mentioned @mommyoffive, and everything all fancy.  It went to waste and was a pain to keep clean.  Boot trays for work boots and play shoes work just as well, and heavy hooks catch everything else and make more sense for this many people in and out all the time.  My shoe hoarder puts everything else in her closet. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We live in an older home. No garage, no mudroom,  no coat closet.  So we've had to get creative.  We kick off shoes into a basket near the door. Then walk a little ways to a small hallway where we have hooks on the wall for jackets.  Nicer shoes go on a shoe shelf underneath the jackets. There's also a cube shelf unit with cloth "drawers" in the hallway for random hats, outdoor items, etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2021 at 7:29 PM, mommyoffive said:

Do you guys not have any trouble with bugs or anything in your shoes?   If we left a shoe in the garage a spider or mouse would make a home in it. 

No, no bugs.  Maybe if we left them on the floor 🤷‍♀️.
 

But we keep our shoes on ventilated shelving. As you can see, not neat!  But it is organized- everyone knows where their own stuff is and I don’t have to trip over it 🙂

image.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok I have to apologize. Last year we did the unthinkable and took out a beautiful, large, functional closet.  I feel terrible now after reading this thread! However.... it was a basement closet, there was already another closet in the basement bedroom, a smaller closet, and a storage area for household paint, tiles, etc.  We still had a coat closet on the main floor and a large closet on the top floor.  We really never needed for space, and it made our finished basement look so much better!

Here in our smaller house after moving.... space is at a premium.  The upstairs linen cupboard is no longer a full size closet, the downstairs coat closet isn't as wide (though it is deep) and the closets are all weirdly shaped and hard to use.  But mainly we are missing the extra rooms for our books, so they are overwhelming us at the moment.  There are book cases everywhere, in every room. 

I will probably look for some type of coat rack with a few places for baskets. We only need a light jacket and shoes here, and no gloves or scarves or boots.  So no mudroom for us. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Ok I have to apologize. Last year we did the unthinkable and took out a beautiful, large, functional closet.  I feel terrible now after reading this thread! However.... it was a basement closet, there was already another closet in the basement bedroom, a smaller closet, and a storage area for household paint, tiles, etc.  We still had a coat closet on the main floor and a large closet on the top floor.  We really never needed for space, and it made our finished basement look so much better!

Here in our smaller house after moving.... space is at a premium.  The upstairs linen cupboard is no longer a full size closet, the downstairs coat closet isn't as wide (though it is deep) and the closets are all weirdly shaped and hard to use.  But mainly we are missing the extra rooms for our books, so they are overwhelming us at the moment.  There are book cases everywhere, in every room. 

I will probably look for some type of coat rack with a few places for baskets. We only need a light jacket and shoes here, and no gloves or scarves or boots.  So no mudroom for us. 

Oh that would be a huge help!  I always think it must be "cheaper" to live in a place where you don't need all this gear for the seasons. But less clutter must be nice too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...