Menu

CTY Math or Stanford Pre Collegiate Studies

Trying to plan for next year post Calc BC and the above mentioned are what I think we have narrowed our choices down to.  Has anyone had good or bad experiences with CTY online?  I know @Arcadia had her kids in the pre-collegiate studies, but I think it was in person and this would be the online classes.  The instructors look like they came from EPGY,  so I am assuming they are been familiar with teaching in an online environment. I cannot tell how the course material is presented in either one -- this kid has been solely AOPS for the past four years, so ready to branch out, but having lots of prerecorded snippets of videos isn't something I think he would be excited about.  I mean, recorded lectures are fine (he's in Connie's Chem and all her lectures are recorded and that works great for him) but if it's going to be five minute videos teaching each tiny concept, that would not be ideal. 

We would also have the option of community college, or UCSD extension courses, but I think those are going to be online too, I don't know that they would be any cheaper necessarily, so my gut feeling is that the above two choices would be better for this kid.  Cost is not a factor as it's only one class and none of them are as expensive as, for instance, the actual Stanford Online High School.  

The 10 grader started out taking CTY math classes for grades 1-5,  Then we discovered that all CTY math, above 6th grade, is Thinkwell, that can be purchased directly for under a $100/yr (with Homeschoolbuyers group disount).  The CTY added value is that it is accredited, and there is an assigned instructor.  The instructor does not really teach any lesson, but will assist with a specific issue.  Then using TW on our own, we supplemented it with a group tutor for $15/week. btw, if you have already completed ab, CTY recommends just taking its "c" instead of bc. But the "c" class is only available through CTY. 

• Like 2

Thanks! We could always use the local CC, though I think they will still be online next year.  I tried to apply to the Pre Collegiate Studies but the application was closed -- even though it seems to imply you can apply year round.  Hoping that doesn't bode ill.  The CC doesn't have the courses listed yet, so I guess we will just bide our time and figure it out later.  There has been in the past a local 4 yr Uni professor who came to a local high school to teach linear algebra to our district students, but he did not offer it this year. That would be my first choice, as it would be all high schoolers AT a high school.  

I am not sure where you are in SD, but you can enroll in SDSU classes through Open University. https://ces.sdsu.edu/open-university You just get dibs after the undergrads enroll. I did that for my anatomy and physiology pre-reqs for nursing school. It was pretty painless. Same with at UCSD, although that is obviously more expensive. But, you can get a free UCSD class, if you are taking 6 units of CC classes, through cross enrollment. You just pay fees (no tuition). https://students.ucsd.edu/academics/enroll/undergraduate-enrollment/community-college-csu-students.html 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I am not sure where you are in SD, but you can enroll in SDSU classes through Open University. https://ces.sdsu.edu/open-university You just get dibs after the undergrads enroll. I did that for my anatomy and physiology pre-reqs for nursing school. It was pretty painless. Same with at UCSD, although that is obviously more expensive. But, you can get a free UCSD class, if you are taking 6 units of CC classes, through cross enrollment. You just pay fees (no tuition). https://students.ucsd.edu/academics/enroll/undergraduate-enrollment/community-college-csu-students.html 

I will add SDSU to my list then.  He's a public high school student and will only be taking the one math class.   I will have to go over the options with him and see what he would prefer.  I imagine he would go with whichever one is self paced as much as possible... especially since he will likely be in person next fall at school.  It is nice to have so many options. 

21 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Thanks! We could always use the local CC, though I think they will still be online next year.  I tried to apply to the Pre Collegiate Studies but the application was closed -- even though it seems to imply you can apply year round.  Hoping that doesn't bode ill.  The CC doesn't have the courses listed yet, so I guess we will just bide our time and figure it out later.  There has been in the past a local 4 yr Uni professor who came to a local high school to teach linear algebra to our district students, but he did not offer it this year. That would be my first choice, as it would be all high schoolers AT a high school.  

The application for Pre Collegiate Studies for Fall is not open yet. The application window opens in June.

Edited by SDMomof3
  • Like 1