Menu

help me daydream about a new house - where to put school room vs office

ktgrok

So, this is the floor plan we like the most...not positive we can make it happen yet, but hopeful. Anyway, a big need is to have DH have his own office where he can do zoom meetings and such without kids being loud in the background. Currently, he's in our bedroom in our 1500 sq ft house with an open floor plan, and I'm constantly shushing the kids. CONSTANTLY. He will also be recording videos, podcasts, etc. 

DS21 would have the downstairs bedroom, giving him a bit more privacy, less likely to wake us coming in late, etc. 

We'd also like a way to have homeschool stuff in a general area not scattered around the house - so school room with shelving, table, computer desk, place to keep globe, microscope, dictionary, craft supplies. 

But, do we put his office downstairs, and make the loft a play area and the 6th bedroom a school room, make the loft a school area and the 6th bedroom a media room with TV, computer desk, XBOX stuff? Or make the downstairs den the school room, 6th bedroom upstairs DH's office, and have XBOX in the greatroom/living area for now? Maybe a quiet study desk upstairs in the loft area, for doing work that won't disturb DH? 

Or, make that front den a kids area with TV, XBOX, Computer, couch, some toys, etc and use the little nook off the kitchen, going to the guest bath/bedroom to store school stuff that is used daily and craft stuff, and do school at the dining room table. 

Or something else? I realize that it can all be moved around, I'm just having fun thinking about it 🙂

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 4.13.58 PM.png1174586964_ScreenShot2021-03-06at4_14_08PM.thumb.png.8d34e1e87fc5a68a6fb71aa6e56ff599.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you have the floor plan for the upstairs? 

Sorry, it froze when uploading and didn't show it for some reason. When I clicked on edit the file was there, so I just deleted it and added it again. Hopefully you can see it now!

• Like 1

Will all the kids have their own rooms upstairs? 

Did you guys go in the model of this home?  Is the den downstairs loud when all the kids are downstairs?  Would you kids go bother your dh there easier?  I know you don't have a 2 story home now, but would your kids go upstairs on their own?  When my kids were young they wouldn't go upstairs to play at all.  They always wanted to be on the same floor as us.  Even though my kids will go play some on their own, they mostly prefer to  hangout on the main floor even though they could go upstairs to their rooms or down in the basement.  

For us having dh downstairs would be way more tempting for my kids to go in and see him.  Plus our dogs are always downstairs, so with dh working upstairs it gives him more space from that noise too.   I think I would put your dh upstairs in the 2nd bedroom.  It is a bit away from the other rooms.  With his office upstairs he is just farther away from the hustle and bustle of everyone.

Then turn the flex room into a school room or media room.  Whichever you would get the most use out of.  Or just a combination of the 2. 

• Like 1

I think that the best choice, noise-wise, would be for your husband to have his office upstairs in one of the bedrooms, rather than on the first floor. Because the kids will need to be on the first floor sometimes during the day, to eat and have access to the outdoors. And it would be difficult to keep all of the kids in one small bedroom for an entire school day. Also, being on the first floor gives you access to the main areas of the house all day long, so that you can do housework, etc., in between lessons.

The only drawback to having that front office space be the schoolroom is that it will be visible to anyone coming in the front of the house. You might think about having doors that don't have glass in them (many front office doors are made of glass). That way, if the schoolroom gets messy, no one needs to see it.

• Like 2

Your family may work differently, but I'll pass along a few things that we've found in our house.  We moved in when my kids were 1st grade and preschool-aged.  Our house has all main rooms (bedroom, kitchen, living, etc) on the main floor.  The basement has a guest room and office, and the upstairs is one huge finished room.  We put husband's office downstairs (he's always worked from home a lot) and made the upstairs a playroom with part of it set up for school - desks, a chair for me, cubbies for books - and then lots of bookcases for school and fun books.  We did school upstairs for years.  But, as the kids got older and need more quiet to focus, and need to be on a laptop to take some online courses or type papers, or have just gotten into tweeen/teen orneriness, everybody has migrated out of doing school work upstairs.  One kid has taken over an end of the dining room table (we often have a game or puzzle on the other end - it's not our main eating space) and does some work in their bedroom.  The other kid works in their bedroom, sometimes lounges upstairs to read, and sometimes sits in the living room.  It's actually more convenient for me to be on the main floor because I can cook or do laundry without running up to check on them, which was an issue when they were younger.  But, we still use the upstairs for storing books and supplies, and they still use it for play (although we've mostly moved from playmobil to using the space to do athletic conditioning, but I still find the occasional lincoln log town and often find board games).  Not sure if this will help...

• Like 1

We tried a homeschool room upstairs and it was a disaster.   When kids were working independently I couldn’t be downstairs doing chores because I couldn’t hear them/be there if they needed my help.  Your husband’s office upstairs would be my first choice. Kids will be downstairs most of the day, either doing school or whatever. So he can have his privacy and you won’t have to constantly worry the kids are making too much noise for him. Plus schooling downstairs means you’ll be close to the kitchen for lunch prep, etc. The only downside I see is upstairs laundry means you’ll run up during the day to switch loads or something. But that shouldn’t interrupt dh too much.

• Like 4

The front of my downstairs is similar to yours, with the garage/foyer/powder/den instead of flex room. That den is mine and has french doors which have privacy glass, and I absolutely love it. It's the quietest place in the house for me to work, but I have teens who mostly stay upstairs, which is just their rooms/baths, a loft, and a game room. If they were younger, louder, in and out of the front door all day, etc., my office would not be so quiet. If you guys are not in and out of that front door all day, I actually think that front room could be ideal for him. It's actually the most tucked out of the way of the choices, so the front door issue becomes the primary question, I think.

If you don't want to put him in there, I would put his office in bedroom 3. But, I would block access from the loft by moving the access door to the master bedroom. Removing that door from the loft would give the loft a bit more usable wall space. Even if the builder won't do it, it would be easy/cheap to do it after, and it's an easy thing to change again for resale. 

Like Clemsondana, my kids have moved away from a single schoolroom to work more in their own rooms or the dining room table or the couch while they have a snack or the outdoor table... I do still very much like having a central homeschool space, though, for storing everything.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 1

I would put your husband's office upstairs, in bedroom 3 or 4.    Bedroom 4 has better natural lighting and since it is over the garage rather than downstairs rooms, may be quieter than bedroom 3.  It is also farther from the stairs, bathroom, and other bedroom doors.  But if noise from the laundry room will bother your husband, he might prefer bedroom 3.

How much does the X-box bother you and is it used when you are schooling other children?   My preference would be to store the school supplies in the 1st office area and spread out throughout the first floor to do schoolwork.  Do one-on-one work where it is most convenient for you, either the schoolroom table or dining table and then release children go do independent work wherever they are most comfortable.   They can use the schoolroom as the X-box/movie/game area when it is not being used for schoolwork.   

• Like 2

DH tucked in a corner waaaaay far away from everyone else. 

This means he gets a bedroom upstairs for the office. Whichever one feels more remote to the others.

The kids and you need to be able to access the LR and kitchen all throughout the day so the schoolroom needs to be on the first floor. 

• Like 2

Looking it over, dh will probably need bedroom #3, because of the laundry. My washer and dryer make noise that goes through the wall they’re against into the adjoining room.  He wouldn’t want to be making calls or recording things with the washer making thumping noisees. 

Bedroom 2 looks to be right next to the stairs, so maybe the sounds from downstairs would carry up into that room too much. It’s also right next to a bathroom that might have noise, too.

That leaves bedroom three not against the stairs and not adjoining machines that make noise.

Bedroom 2 is the smallest and would probably be best for an office so that the kids could have bigger rooms, but there might be too much noise in there.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I just remembered that you said in another thread that you might get a pool and that he's working from home full-time from now on, meaning he'll be working even after the end of their school days and on school breaks. So forgetting about the kids being busy with school, yeah, the downstairs might be too noisy for him to work, even with french doors at the front of the house. I hear you on xBox noise. Gosh my kids could scream playing Wii and xBox at those ages! (Not gonna discuss now... LOL) 

So I still vote a door from the Master to bedroom 3, school room in flex area, xBox in living room for now. 

• Like 3

As much as I adore the idea of a dedicated schoolroom, I kinda think having school done at the kitchen table might be more useful.

Use the flex room for their noisy x-box playing.  When you’re working in the kitchen after school, you won’t want to hear all the hollering that goes on when kids play their games. 

But, when the kids are doing schoolwork, you might want a chance to putter around and get a few things done in the kitchen/living room. You could get lunch going while the kids are wrapping things up that way, and they’re still in sight and not goofing off in another room.

Edited by Garga

Every time I think of your dh being downstairs and the kids being upstairs, I’m picturing the drama of the kids trooping past dad’s downstairs office to eat lunch, to answer the door, to let the dogs in/out, to get in the pool, to use an extra bathroom because the one upstairs is being used, to get a snack....

No. Keep him upstairs all day and the kids downstairs all day, instead of shushing them every time they have to do something downstairs.

How much do they play in their rooms? 

6 minutes ago, Garga said:

Every time I think of your dh being downstairs and the kids being upstairs, I’m picturing the drama of the kids trooping past dad’s downstairs office to eat lunch, to answer the door, to let the dogs in/out, to get in the pool, to use an extra bathroom because the one upstairs is being used, to get a snack....

No. Keep him upstairs all day and the kids downstairs all day, instead of shushing them every time they have to do something downstairs.

Yes, I agree.  School room downstairs, office upstairs and the kids kept downstairs all day so dad can work in quiet.  

I don't think you will like the laundry upstairs though because of the set up of your life...it would be better to be downstairs so that you can reboot, fold etc while the kids are doing school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Is there a basement in this house, or just the main floor and upstairs?

no basement - water table is too high in florida

50 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

So I still vote a door from the Master to bedroom 3, school room in flex area, xBox in living room for now. 

Ooh, I kind of like that idea. 

28 minutes ago, Garga said:

Ok, this was my initial thought, and how I marked it, and it seems people are in agreement. 

Right now, they are so squashed in their room they don't play in there other than the xbox and computer games. I'd rather have that stuff out of bedrooms, but in our current house the only other options would share a wall with where DH is working, so bedroom it is. 

• Like 1

I'm now thinking, that den used as storage for homeschool stuff, plus computer desk and xbox, and a tv. So gaming can be in there (and yes, they are SO loud!!!! My 21 yr old is too when he games!) and I can have some peace in the kitchen. My desk will likely be by the staircase in the living area. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

I’ve never really understood the concept of a “homeschool room” since we used the entire house (but mostly downstairs) when we were homeschooling. But I could understand maybe using the flex room downstairs for bookshelves with supplies and an area where you can work one-on-one with one child while others are in different areas of the house. 

If your dh needs quiet, I would think bedroom #3 is the best option - away from downstairs noise and laundry. We have built houses and had some rooms (mother-in-law apt) built with sound-deadening board. That’s something to consider since you’re building. 

You know, bedroom 3 does make more sense as the office! I don't know how we didn't think of that! We thought the one over the garage, but #3 is over DS21's room, and he is at work most of the day, and capable of not yelling when he's home, lol. 

My husband's work space is in our downstairs.  His number one complaint is that everything the kids do above him vibrates through the floor.  Stuff that doesn't even register as noisy up here seems to reverberate down there. And when they actually do make noise, like dropping things or jumping on the floor, yes it really does sound like an elephant is stopping around.  So my only piece of advice is if you put your husband in the downstairs, will the kids likely be in the area right above him, If so I would consider putting in some extra sound proofing/absorbing between the floors or else put your husband on a higher level where kid noises will be below him.  (I didn't study out the blueprints but just something I thought of while reading about if you husband should be up or down).

• Like 1

Ok, so definitely the way I thought, kids downstairs. Plus, even as they get older and have friends over, they will want to be in and out of the kitchen, plus the dog noise, etc. 

And I think bedroom 3 does work best. He was worried about keeping me awake at night if he is working late, but I'd be fine. Big difference between typing and mumbling and sighing 3 ft from my pillow (what happens now) vs in the next room! 

6 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

I agree give dh bedroom #3. The only thing would be if he works a lot in the evening and the kids want to be in their rooms. Also will your "baby bug" still be doing naps during the day? If so I'd make a spot downstairs for nap time. 

she rarely naps now, I can't imagine she would by then. 

• Like 1

My .02......

1. Pick a floor that you want to live at most of the time, and be there. For us, our school room in upstairs with the bedrooms. I have the laundry up here with me also, so I can switch loads of laundry throughout the day.  This means that we go downstairs only to eat during the school day, and people can't wander far from me.  I would not put a playroom upstairs if you are also going to be teaching downstairs. There is no way to supervise the littles or nap time, and a whole lot of mischief can be had.  This is not an issue for "normal" people as much, but when you are living with a lot of ADD/ADHD people, this is a really freaking huge issue. It's too easy for people to get off track.

2. Whatever room you pick to be your dh's office, pay the extra $300 to wrap that in extra noise proofing insulation.

3. Pick a plan with a main level master if you can at all do so.  You 15 years in the future will thank you.  You want to buy a house that you can age into well. I, personally, would pick a house plan with a main level master and a main level office for dh (that could later be switched into a second main level bedroom), and then put all of the school room and kid bedrooms upstairs.  You can essentially close that wing off in the future when you and dh are empty nesting. A main level master will also help your re-sale if you guys decide to downsize later.

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Just an aside question, what about a door from the back yard lanai to the half bath?  That would eliminate kids running in and out through the dining area to use the bathroom.

I don't think it would work directly into the bathroom, but I think it would work in that little alcove by it. Its a question I have. Although I kind of like that alcove for storage of art stuff that is best done near the kitchen sink, or outdoor toys or something. 

21 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

3. Pick a plan with a main level master if you can at all do so.  You 15 years in the future will thank you.  You want to buy a house that you can age into well. I, personally, would pick a house plan with a main level master and a main level office for dh (that could later be switched into a second main level bedroom), and then put all of the school room and kid bedrooms upstairs.  You can essentially close that wing off in the future when you and dh are empty nesting. A main level master will also help your re-sale if you guys decide to downsize later.

Well, it doesn't have a main level master, but has a main level bedroom and bath suite, sort of. Bathroom isn't ensuite, but is right there. I figure at some point my parents may need to move in, and it would work for them. Right now, it would work for my 21 year old, to be able to come and go late at night without disturbing us. We are also looking at if we can put a door straight from the garage into that bedroom. 

19 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I don't think it would work directly into the bathroom, but I think it would work in that little alcove by it. Its a question I have. Although I kind of like that alcove for storage of art stuff that is best done near the kitchen sink, or outdoor toys or something. 

Yes, I was thinking a door in that alcove area.  You lose a tiny bit of space but not a lot.

3 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I’d consider that upstairs bathroom situation too - one bathroom for four bedrooms is a ratio that would be challenging for teenagers. 

There are two bathrooms upstairs, the master bath for DH and I, and one more for 3 kids to share. Another full bath downstairs near DS 21's potential room, and a 1/2 bath near entryway.  Four kids total, but one downstairs. Eventually, got willing, he will move out, lol. 

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am all for keeping the flex room the school room.  I agree with others that kids will always migrate to other parts of the house to do work, BUT having a room to keep all that stuff when they aren't working on it is very valuable.  

Yeah, that's more the issue. A place to display our big timeline, have a microscope stored, globe, books, construction paper, craft supplies, curriculum, etc etc. 

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

There are two bathrooms upstairs, the master bath for DH and I, and one more for 3 kids to share. Another full bath downstairs near DS 21's potential room, and a 1/2 bath near entryway.  Four kids total, but one downstairs. Eventually, got willing, he will move out, lol. 

Yeah, that's more the issue. A place to display our big timeline, have a microscope stored, globe, books, construction paper, craft supplies, curriculum, etc etc. 

I feel your pain.  LOL  Come over to the parenting young adult thread for more commiseration.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I feel your pain.  LOL  Come over to the parenting young adult thread for more commiseration.  

Yeah, I mean at this point, he's actually helpful sometimes - run to the store for me, etc. And I know he's not ready to be on his own. But....when we had more kids we kind of envisoned that his bedroom would be available by now, lol. 

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yeah, I mean at this point, he's actually helpful sometimes - run to the store for me, etc. And I know he's not ready to be on his own. But....when we had more kids we kind of envisoned that his bedroom would be available by now, lol. 

Same with us.  He helps some, but he is an adult and hopefully will want to be on his own soon.

34 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I feel your pain.  I've got 2 that legally could move out but neither is in a position emotionally or financially where it would be a good idea.  And while I love having all my kids around most of the time having the extra space would be so nice.  My girls are frequently reminding/encouraging the boys on this thought that they should move out soon because they know it means they will be able to get their own rooms.  But more than bedrooms, we are struggling with parking.  We are in snow country and we are still under alternate side street parking. And frankly it's a pain to remember which side to park on each day and then if your don't go anywhere, you still have to go out and remember to move your car each day.  We've had them park in the driveway but then if they don't leave on time, we have to move their vehicle so we can get out of the garage or if they come home while we are out, they have to run out again and move vehicles.  I'm so sick of vehicle shuffling and we'll be adding a 5th driver (and I'm sure a 5th vehicle) later this year just to add to the fun.  

11 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

What is the "optional door" from master bath to bedroom?

I guess some people don't want a door to the bathroom. Unless that choice is for wheelchair or other accssibility reasons, those people are wrong. 

I've seen several floor plans with no door to the bathroom. If only to keep light from being annoying to a person in the bedroom, I want a door on the bathroom! Plus steam from shower, etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I guess some people don't want a door to the bathroom. Unless that choice is for wheelchair or other accssibility reasons, those people are wrong. 

I've seen several floor plans with no door to the bathroom. If only to keep light from being annoying to a person in the bedroom, I want a door on the bathroom! Plus steam from shower, etc. 

A pocket door though.  I like those.

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Really? I can't fathom a life without a bathroom door on any bathroom whatsoever. lol. I'm a fan of privacy though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

Really? I can't fathom a life without a bathroom door on any bathroom whatsoever. lol. I'm a fan of privacy though.

Same, girl. One floor plan I looked at had no door on the bathroom, and also the toilet was in full view - little half wall, but not in a water closet or anything. So no door between bedroom and pooping. That will NOT fly in my house, lol. 

You heard about the house I saw once that had his and her toilets, across from each other, right? Like you could sit across from each other and look in each other's eyes while pooping. The whole house was WEIRD but that was the weirdest part. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Same, girl. One floor plan I looked at had no door on the bathroom, and also the toilet was in full view - little half wall, but not in a water closet or anything. So no door between bedroom and pooping. That will NOT fly in my house, lol. 

You heard about the house I saw once that had his and her toilets, across from each other, right? Like you could sit across from each other and look in each other's eyes while pooping. The whole house was WEIRD but that was the weirdest part. 

OMG. No. No. No. 

Just now, hippymamato3 said:

OMG. No. No. No. 

Thank you! We about ran out of that house, lol. Somewhere I probably still have photos. 

It also had garage style cabinets in the kitchen, with a big curtain rod and hospital style curtain dividing the kitchen from the living area, which had a sunken two step down circle in the middle, concrete floors, bathtub was on this high pedestal up several steps like a throne, giant gold sun mural behind it, etc etc. Oh, and the welcome mat was just painted on to the concrete too, which cracked me up. 

We were half sure it was used to film porn or something. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Since you are building this home, I would suggest building it like you might never sell, and that you might age in place there.  You already have a bedroom/bath on the first floor which is great.  I would suggest installing washer/dryer hookups downstairs as well. It’s probably easier now than to retrofit later. That would be the only thing left to make it one floor living someday.

1 hour ago, matrips said:

Since you are building this home, I would suggest building it like you might never sell, and that you might age in place there.  You already have a bedroom/bath on the first floor which is great.  I would suggest installing washer/dryer hookups downstairs as well. It’s probably easier now than to retrofit later. That would be the only thing left to make it one floor living someday.

That is a great idea.  Even if it is in the garage, since it is FL.