Menu

"Nurture Pods" - do you think they will continue after the current era?

Eos

Disclaimer: I'm not on social media so maybe these aren't new to you.  I got a promotional email for this app (must be based on my digital trail leading here) and so looked at their site.  I'm curious if anyone thinks these will outlast the pandemic - I heard on the radio how as many as a third of pandemic homeschoolers like having their kids home and will consider continuing after the pandemic.  

Two things come to mind about this app and concept: one, it will create even more school segregation by class and race than currently exists and two, it will hurt rural schools' funding, possibly catastrophically.

My guess is it will continue.

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’ve never heard of it. Please describe what it is. 

It's an app, I won't link it here but you'll find it if you search.  It signs people up to form a pod with others in your area who have similar covid precaution levels, and then hooks you up with a teacher or one of the parents to either make your own curriculum or pay the teacher to help your pod follow your school's remote curriculum.

• Like 1

I haven't heard them called "Nurture" pods, but there are a lot of people doing something similar around here.   

I'm sure some people who have the money to continue and it's working really well for them will continue it, especially for younger kids.   But I'm still seeing a lot of angst over prom, football games and graduation parties among the parents of older kids so unless it's still tied in to the public schools, I don't see it being very widespread among the kids who have a strong, active social life at school.  

• Like 2

Most people here only podded while schools were 100% virtual and stopped when kids went back in Octoberish.  Idon’t think it will be a permenant threat to public schools.  Nearly everybody I know who kept their kids at home this year are itching to send their kids back.

I come in contact with a large variety of people and the interesting correlation I have seen is that, regardless of political affiliation, people in higher-income areas want and support schools being open more than people in lower-income areas.  Like, waayyy more.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I haven't heard them called "Nurture" pods, but there are a lot of people doing something similar around here.   

I'm sure some people who have the money to continue and it's working really well for them will continue it, especially for younger kids.   But I'm still seeing a lot of angst over prom, football games and graduation parties among the parents of older kids so unless it's still tied in to the public schools, I don't see it being very widespread among the kids who have a strong, active social life at school.  

The 'nurture pod" moniker is an actual app, I hadn't seen that before either.

I'm not sure where pods got a lot of traction, but I feel like it wasn't my midwest state.   Public school families I know who temporarily decided to homeschool weren't looking for an outside teacher to plan something, and public school families with kids in virtual learning who couldn't stay home with the kids relied on regular paid childcare options, grandparents or other relatives, or free/low-cost options offered by organizations like the Boys and Girls Club. 

I would assume that most of those families without an adult at home were some of the most eager to send kids back full time when that option opened up here recently for elementary age students.  Across the income spectrum of people I personally know with elementary public school kids, nearly everyone has sent their kids back full time. 

• Like 4

I do think there will be an increase in people homeschooling or schooling-from-home (under the umbrella of a public charter school that provides funds and support, but the kids are primarily home and parent-taught). Also micro-schools and pods via charter. I think those variations will be the biggest increase by far. 

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’d say it was almost the opposite here. Our main internet group had a whole lot of seasoned Homeschoolers and new mixed-schooling people seeking out zero-precaution social activities for their families.

That’s what I’ve seen here. Everything has been either zero or nearly zero precaution and any family who isn’t on board with that can just stay home to be forgotten.