Menu

Meghan & Harry Interview

Katy

Won't watch, they're all irritating, both sides.

Will bemoan the fact The flipping Guardian will shove 72 opinion pieces related to it in my face when I try to read the news tomorrow. 

It's celebrity gossip, and I don't understand why they persist in including M+H+RF in the news. They used to be staunchly in favour of ignoring royalty and those associated with. 

Vent over and I am absolutely banning myself from this thread!! 

• Like 8

I’m recording to watch later. I don’t really have an opinion on Meghan but I feel for Harry.  I think he has residual issues from losing his mom so young...and probably not being guided through it other than to keep a stiff upper lip. I hope I’m wildly wrong about that. I think he’s had enough of how his family is run. Good for him for branching out and creating his own life, but sad that he had to distance himself from his family to do it. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I just now turned it on. So 30 minutes late into it. 

She’s talking about how she identifies with the little mermaid.

I am glad they won their tabloid lawsuit.

I’m kinda laughing about Oprah acting like the royal family shouldn’t care about public opinion. Um. Historically lacking the public favor ends in dead royals.  They are in an awkward precarious position. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Idk. He says it never occurred to him that he would lose his security bc he was born to this. He wouldn’t be the first royal who left the “firm” and that meant they gave up everything royal.

He is not endearing to me at this point. He seems very coddled to be ignorant that he is not an exception to the rules. If he doesn’t want to be a royal. Fine. But that means he loses all the benefits of being a royal then. 

• Like 3

The biggest points you missed:

-the family was lovely and welcoming 

-someone in the family had many conversations with Harry concerned about how dark their baby’s skin would be

-the people who support the palace have control, the family does not

-they asked for help when Meghan was suicidal for months, they were repeatedly refused 

-the family basically said they’d all been through it, this is how it is

-they were told during the pregnancy the baby would not be given a title or security, which is against British law.  They were not told why they would be the only exception. It was not their choice.

-someone in “the firm” put out false stories featuring Meghan as the villain starting at the beginning of her pregnancy. The story of Meghan making Kate cry was actually the reverse.

I think that was most of the points from the first hour. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Murphy101 said:

Idk. He says it never occurred to him that he would lose his security bc he was born to this. He wouldn’t be the first royal who left the “firm” and that meant they gave up everything royal.

He is not endearing to me at this point. He seems very coddled to be ignorant that he is not an exception to the rules. If he doesn’t want to be a royal. Fine. But that means he loses all the benefits of being a royal then. 

He repeatedly said he never asked to not be royal.  He asked to not be senior royal, just like Anne, Andrew, and numerous other family members. This was done to him, this isn’t something he dud himself. This looks very bad for the family. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

He repeatedly said he never asked to not be royal.  He asked to not be senior royal, just like Anne, Andrew, and numerous other family members. This was done to him, this isn’t something he dud himself. This looks very bad for the family. 

Ahhh. Okay. Yes. 

What help did he want for Meagan?

Have they made legal effort to demand a title?

What is his plan to financially be independent?

2 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Ahhh. Okay. Yes. 

What help did he want for Meagan?

Have they made legal effort to demand a title?

What is his plan to financially be independent?

He wanted mental health help.  And security for the repeated death threats. 

They started Archewell, a media company, will be doing Netflix streamers, “to make enough money to afford security.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

You missed a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Harry but I really feel he never really got the help he needed when his mother died or wasn’t really in a place to taken in the help he needed.  He seems to be lost now in a way.  Like he is still figuring things and hasn’t really completely fully cooped with his mother’s death.  

I admit I am not a Meghan fan but something about her rub me the wrong way before she was with Harry and she was on Suits.  There is something to me that comes across as not genuine.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I like Harry but I really feel he never really got the help he needed when his mother died or wasn’t really in a place to taken in the help he needed.  He seems to be lost now in a way.  

I admit I am not a Meghan fan but something about her rub me the wrong way before she was with Harry and she was on Suits.  There is something to me that comes across as not genuine.  

So weird,  I see her as very real.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So how is The Family separate from The Firm? Who runs the firm?  Is he basically saying that the royal family are gilded slaves to the firm at the behest of parliament? Or what?

Yes, gilded slaves is a good way to put it. 

The firm are senior staff members, they run the monarchy. The family just does the work, in constant fear of the media whose positive press coverage they need. Meghan described this more than Harry.  

Harry’s relationship with his father is very strained. 

He’s disappointed that female members of parliament issued statements of support for Meghan in response to the horrible racism she was facing, but the family said nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

He wanted mental health help.  And security for the repeated death threats. 

They started Archewell, a media company, will be doing Netflix streamers, “to make enough money to afford security.”

I don’t really understand. They told him he could not take his wife to a counselor? There were credible death threats and he wasn’t given security? By the Firm or his family?

Not watching.

I've followed them since before the wedding.  One of many who were rooting for them and were happy about harry having found someone. - now, I've had enough first-hand experience with a narcissist to firmly believe she is a very destructive one.

I'd heard samantha's accusations, and their brother's accusations - from before the wedding.   didnt' give them the credibility they deserved.   It was odd that the ONLY person in her family that attended was her mother.  Not even the uncle that got her the internship at the embassy in argentina.

but then, there were the number of meghans staff that quit.  (and three nannies in three months.) and the number of PR firms they went through. I consider those indications something was wrong.  The report - during the austraila tour  - of her throwing a pot of hot tea at a staffer.  Things about her being a bully have been leaked since before the wedding.  Many of the reports of her bullying staff were squelched because they were hoping she'd learn.

the RF bent over backwards to welcome her.  she went to balmoral for christmas when they were engaged.  that was unheard of.  No other royal bride ever went before the wedding.   Kate had a terrible time with the press, etc. - waity kaity and all that.  And what Camilla went through. . . . . when they split william and harry's charity, most of the employees choose to go with william.  that's a tell.    Shortly after the wedding, she was asked to leave a garden party for charles 30 minutes after she arrived (someone got a video)  - for how rude she was to guests.   There are huge long lists of things that were "odd".   It was clear, she didn't want to learn the ropes, she wanted to do things her way.  And her complaining about how rough her life was, with her $1M in a year wardrobe  (more than any other royal in europe!), living in untold luxury - and whining about her rough life in a country/and to people who are some of the poorest on the planet. (south africa tour)

generally - where there's this much smoke, there's fire.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

I don’t really understand. They told him he could not take his wife to a counselor? There were credible death threats and he wasn’t given security? By the Firm or his family?

Yes, that is correct.  They all said no. The firm said no. The family said, “We all deal with this.”  She was trapped in their cottage snd couldn’t leave for months.

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

Not watching.

I've followed them since before the wedding.  One of many who were rooting for them and were happy about harry having found someone. - now, I've had enough first-hand experience with a narcissist to firmly believe she is a very destructive one.

I'd heard samantha's accusations, and their brother's accusations - from before the wedding.   didnt' give them the credibility they deserved.   It was odd that the ONLY person in her family that attended was her mother.  Not even the uncle that got her the internship at the embassy in argentina.

but then, there were the number of meghans staff that quit.  (and three nannies in three months.) and the number of PR firms they went through. I consider those indications something was wrong.  The report - during the austraila tour  - of her throwing a pot of hot tea at a staffer.  Things about her being a bully have been leaked since before the wedding.  Many of the reports of her bullying staff were squelched because they were hoping she'd learn.

the RF bent over backwards to welcome her.  she went to balmoral for christmas when they were engaged.  that was unheard of.  No other royal bride ever went before the wedding.   Kate had a terrible time with the press, etc. - waity kaity and all that.  And what Camilla went through. . . . . when they split william and harry's charity, most of the employees choose to go with william.  that's a tell.    Shortly after the wedding, she was asked to leave a garden party for charles 30 minutes after she arrived (someone got a video)  - for how rude she was to guests.   There are huge long lists of things that were "odd".   It was clear, she didn't want to learn the ropes, she wanted to do things her way.  And her complaining about how rough her life was, with her $1M in a year wardrobe  (more than any other royal in europe!), living in untold luxury - and whining about her rough life in a country/and to people who are some of the poorest on the planet. (south africa tour)

Yeah, this is what I generally think as well. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Correct.  She asked many people in The Firm, including HR for help. They would not allow her to seek help.  HR said she was not a  paid employee so they could not help her. 

Security was cut off with little warning. 

Edited by Scarlett
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Not watching.

I remember William talking about how they weren’t close anymore in a interview.  Harry before he was married used to come over almost every night for dinner when he was home.  William’s look really made you see how sad he was about it. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

he was certainly coddled. KP PR did a great job covering for his indiscretions.  drug use, the costume party with the nazi costume, the drunk naked party for a crowd in vegas. those were from before.

There are pictures of him trying to get a VO job for meghan from the Disney CEO - beyonce was standing there and she had what appeared to be a horrified expression on her face.  (the reviews of her job were panned.) - but to make it worse, harry- as one of his patronages was supposed to be at a military charity that night for the families of those killed in the line of duty.  That had been planned months in advance, at the last minute he said he couldn't go.  He couldn't be bothered to fulfill the duties of his patronage - then was complaining up one side and down the other when it was stripped from him.    You can't have a job if you wont' do it.

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

they started archewell because they were not allowed to use the name sussex royal. jan- mar 2020.  lots of reports on it, and how angry and petulant meghan was she wasn't allowed to use it.  the trademarks for sussex royal actually went back to before the wedding.   

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

Yes, that is correct.  They all said no. The firm said no. The family said, “We all deal with this.”  She was trapped in their cottage snd couldn’t leave for months.

But that seems ridiculous to me. She was not a pauper before the wedding. Maybe not as wealthy as the royal family but she certainly could afford her own psychiatrist unless she blew all her money. Harry too for that matter, as he noted even though his family cut him off he has his mother’s money. They are grown people with their own money and internet access and the ability to make some phone calls - were they under house arrest?!

I mean ... honestly I’m having a hard time dredging comprehension here for what exactly was their impediment to getting her treatment bc for most of us mental health care isn’t covered very well through our employer, certainly not after we say we don’t want to work for them anymore. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I remember William talking about how they weren’t close anymore in a interview.  Harry before he was married used to come over almost every night for dinner when he was home.  William’s look really made you see how sad he was about it. 

William advised him to "move slowly".   Harry reportedly blew up.

Right after that conversation, "someone" made baseless accusations william was cheating on kate.   

But that seems ridiculous to me. She was not a pauper before the wedding. Maybe not as wealthy as the royal family but she certainly could afford her own psychiatrist unless she blew all her money. Harry too for that matter, as he noted even though his family cut him off he has his mother’s money. They are grown people with their own money and internet access and the ability to make some phone calls - were they under house arrest?!

I mean ... honestly I’m having a hard time dredging comprehension here for what exactly was their impediment to getting her treatment bc for most of us mental health care isn’t covered very well through our employer, certainly not after we say we don’t want to work for them anymore. 

When they won't let you call anyone for help, what can you do?  She can't sneak a psychiatrist in.

She specifically said she repeatedly asked for help, they said no.  She said her passport, her everything was taken away.  She couldn't call an uber to take her to a hospital. She was trapped. Even HR said, "I'm sorry, you're not an employee so I can't help you."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

William advised him to "move slowly".   Harry reportedly blew up.

Right after that conversation, "someone" made baseless accusations william was cheating on kate.   

Do you have any evidence for any of this beyond tabloids?  Has anyone in the family confirmed any of this garbage?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

When they won't let you call anyone for help, what can you do?  She can't sneak a psychiatrist in.

She specifically said she repeatedly asked for help, they said no.  She said her passport, her everything was taken away.  She couldn't call an uber to take her to a hospital. She was trapped. Even HR said, "I'm sorry, you're not an employee so I can't help you."

Ok, I can't help it. Also bored on bus. 

Are they literally claiming she was held hostage in Frogmore House? That's not on The Guardian!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

It was not about  money.  Before her mental health crisis she had asked to go eat lunch with her friends and was told no because she was too saturated in the tabloids. She said she had left the house twice in 4 months.   The had her passport, her keys etc. 

7 minutes ago, Katy said:

Who did that? Did they do that to Harry too? He literally couldn’t spend his own or her own money to get his wife healthcare.  I mean if she was genuinely suicidal, I can see the wagons circling to make sure she was watched and couldn’t just leave or whatever. But what is Harry’s excuse? 

I think what is most interesting is what Harry wouldn't say.  I bet the worst person in this situation is his father, and if he admitted it, it would be the end of the monarchy.

Oh now that I would 110% agree with.  I’ve never liked anything about him except his manure plans. Seriously I respect his farming initiatives but otherwise can’t stand him. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Not watching.

This exactly. My dh has a close relative who has NPD, and Meghan Markle's actions and the things she says are so similar that it is uncanny. Dh's relative is a male and (obviously) leads a very different life from Meghan Markle, but their personalities are interchangeable.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

Ok, I can't help it. Also bored on bus. 

Are they literally claiming she was held hostage in Frogmore House? That's not on The Guardian!

They didn't use the term hostage, but yes, that is the way a free person would classify it.  She was allowed to leave only for officially scheduled events.  She couldn't eat lunch with friends because she was, "too saturated,"  despite having not left for 2 months and she was repeatedly told to, "lay low" when she hadn't left the house in months.  At one point she told Harry how suicidal she was and he didn't want her to go to an event and she said she had to go, she was afraid to be left alone.

Harry's theory was it started because her Australian tour was too successful and she was a threat just like his mother had been a threat when her tour was too successful.

• Like 1

I don't read her as a narcissist at all.  Charles, maybe.

ETA:  I suspect Harry didn't know what to do regarding getting her help.    That's what he seemed to say.  Ultimately he chose to do what was necessary to get her help and keep his family safe, so I can't say that I fault him that he tried to make it work for more than a year after that point.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd put $ on Phillip making the query about skin colour. He's been a racist old man for a long time. 

I sympathize with them over that. My MIL was also very keen to congratulate me in my babies coming out fair. Horrible. 

I feel sorry for her depression. Mental illness sucks. Very few of us get what we need to treat it. Had she gone to the ED, she likely wouldn't have got it there either. Hopefully she can now afford and access high quality private therapy. 

If the claim is true, that 'The Firm' kept her imprisoned in Frogmore House, incommunicado for months, without any access to  health care, then I guess I'm going to get my 80's wish of a republic! 

10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

It was not about  money.  Before her mental health crisis she had asked to go eat lunch with her friends and was told no because she was too saturated in the tabloids. She said she had left the house twice in 4 months.   The had her passport, her keys etc. 

so you say I’m having my friend over here. Or whatever.  This seems... idk  I *can* believe it but it smells fishy.

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

They didn't use the term hostage, but yes, that is the way a free person would classify it.  She was allowed to leave only for officially scheduled events.  She couldn't eat lunch with friends because she was, "too saturated,"  despite having not left for 2 months and she was repeatedly told to, "lay low" when she hadn't left the house in months.  At one point she told Harry how suicidal she was and he didn't want her to go to an event and she said she had to go, she was afraid to be left alone.

Harry's theory was it started because her Australian tour was too successful and she was a threat just like his mother had been a threat when her tour was too successful.

I am so confused. None of that makes any sense to me. One I was not under the impression her Australian tour was particularly successful?  Two, she says she’s suicidal and can’t be left alone and then complains they took her passport and keys? Um. Hell yeah. I would too!  And then did he leave her alone or what?

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 2

I hardly remember the tour. I'm not the demographic for Royal tours though. 

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

so you say I’m having my friend over here. Or whatever.  This seems... idk  I can believe it bc it smells fishy.

I am so confused. None of that makes any sense to me. One I was not under the impression her Australian tour was particularly successful?  Two, she says she’s suicidal and can’t be left alone and then complains they took her passport and keys? Um. Hell yeah. I would too!  And then did he leave her alone or what?

Harry thought the tour was successful and that triggered the bad media leaks from inside the firm.

She wasn't complaining, but when she joined the family all of her freedom was taken from her.  I guess try to watch the interview because I clearly am not explaining it well.

• Like 3