Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW10: 52 Books Bingo - Cunning Capers

Robin M

Happy Sunday, My dears! Are you in the mood for a sting, a heist, a hold up, perhaps a little breaking and entering and a five fingered discount? Perhaps a cozy mystery that is clever and adventurous, maybe humorous or audacious. Then join me for our next 52 Books Bingo category,  the Cunning Caper.   

There are a number of ways to go - with an ensemble cast, a bungling burglar, a devious dog or even a rat, or cat, or two.  Throw in a bank heists, train robberies, book swindling, or perhaps a supernatural, magical or real life event and settle in for the ride.  Oh the drama of it all.  *grin* 

Discovered some inspiration with the 35 most iconic caper movies before you dive into your read.  

Florida Crime Fiction: A Guide to Madness

19 Heist Books That You Won't be Able to Put Down

Johnson County Library's the truth is stranger than fiction with nine real life heists

Genrify's Capers and Heists

Goodreads Listopia:  Speculative Fiction Heist/Caper Stories

Tor's Crimes, Capers, and Gentleman Thieves: 5 Must Read SFF Heist Novels

Read a book with caper, heist, sting, or robbery in the title and have fun!

Count of Monte Cristo Readalong:

Chapter 13. The Hundred Days

Chapter 14. The Two Prisoners

Chapter 15. Number 34 and Number 27

Share your thoughts and comments on the story so far

Link to week 9

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers around the globe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My cunning caper read just coincidently turned out to be the book I just finished - Nora Roberts Three Fates which was supposed to be a reread but I think it was a used book I bought that got lost in the shelves and forgotten and I thought I had read it because I didn't remember a thing about it.  Hee hee!  With the sinking of the Lusitania, a thief, lose, grief, connections, and of course love, Roberts spins an Interesting story with twist and turns about the three silver statues the three fates and how they were stolen, lost, then stolen again. 

Also finished Tea with the Black Dragon which was somewhat convoluted and things that seemed simple were not.

"Martha Macnamara is called west to San Francisco by a message from her daughter Elizabeth, a computer programmer. When she arrives, however, Elizabeth has disappeared. Mayland Long, an Asian gentleman who is skilled in both human and computer languages — and who may be a transformed 2,000-year-old Chinese dragon —aids Martha in her search for her daughter. As they search for clues to Elizabeth's disappearance, they discover hints that Elizabeth is involved in a dangerous crime."

• Like 3

Robin, thank you for the thread!

I read Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage - 5 Stars - Reading this was such a pleasure. Dan Crenshaw shares his story and the lessons that he’s learned along the way.

Most of us already know that Crenshaw served in the Navy SEALS and that he’s now a member of Congress. I didn’t know that when he was five and his brother was only one, his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult that must have been. Despite all her suffering, his mother’s courage and spirit are nothing short of examples as to how to be. She passed away when he was ten.

This book is not really a political book. It’s a beautiful and timely reminder to the reader to build mental fortitude and resilience, to take responsibility for one’s life, and to avoid being ruled by our emotions.

Rather than include all my quotes, here’s a link to my full review on Good Reads.

• Like 3

Last night I finished  The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence Book 1) by K. D. Edwards; I quite enjoyed the book and was sorry to see that my library does not own the second book of the planned nonology. I've submitted a purchase suggestion. I think others here might enjoy this book... @mumto2, @Robin M, @melmichigan, perhaps @tuesdayschild.

"In this debut novel and series starter, the last member of a murdered House searches for a missing nobleman, and uncovers clues about his own tortured past. Rune Saint John, last child of the fallen Sun Court, is hired to search for Lady Judgment's missing son, Addam, on New Atlantis, the island city where the Atlanteans moved after ordinary humans destroyed their original home. With his companion and bodyguard, Brand, he questions Addam's relatives and business contacts through the highest ranks of the nobles of New Atlantis. But as they investigate, they uncover more than a missing man: a legendary creature connected to the secret of the massacre of Rune's Court. In looking for Addam, can Rune find the truth behind his family's death and the torments of his past?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Some bookish posts ~

No, the following isn't about a hobbit!

"Living the Good Life in a Hole in the Ground"

https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/winter-pasture-li-juan-memoir-kazakh-nomads.html

Am I the only one here with aphantasia?

"Being a Writer When You Literally Cannot Visualize Scenes

Alexandra Oliva on Aphantasia, the Joys of Voice, and Scenic Details"

https://lithub.com/being-a-writer-when-you-literally-cannot-visualize-scenes/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Currently FREE for Kindle readers ~

The Letter: An unforgettable novel of love, war and secret kept for generations... by Ruth Saberton

Shortlisted for the prestigious Winston Graham Historical Fiction Prize 2018, The Letter is a beautiful novel set in England between the First World War and the present day. Perfect for fans of Kate Morton, it is a story of family, forbidden love, and long kept secrets. 

This suspenseful novel is set in Cornwall and reminiscent of Daphne du Maurier and Rosamunde Pilcher. Romantic and moving, it is a tale of loss and love, the devastation of war and a homage to the lives shattered in the trenches and at home.

A #1 bestseller on Amazon UK, The Letter is a vivid novel of heart-break and passion, with characters - and an ending - the reader won't forget.

Love Bites (Tails from the Alpha Art Gallery Book 1) by Cynthia St. Aubin

Seeking Catherine by Josie Riviera

The Lady is Trouble (League of Lords Book 1) by Tracy Sumner, Holly Ingraham 

Intent by A.D. Justice

HOLDER OF THE HORSES: A FAMILY'S LEGENDARY JOURNEY THROUGH LIFE by Lisa Slater, Max Van Zile 

Finding Faith (The Finding Home Book 1) by Bridget E. Baker

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Am I the only one here with aphantasia?

"Being a Writer When You Literally Cannot Visualize Scenes

Alexandra Oliva on Aphantasia, the Joys of Voice, and Scenic Details"

https://lithub.com/being-a-writer-when-you-literally-cannot-visualize-scenes/

Interesting articles!  Up until I read Upside Down Brilliance, I used to think every one saw pictures in their head when reading.  I think I asked everyone I ran into after that whether they saw stories in their head as words or pictures.   James sees pictures while hubby only sees the words. But he does have vivid dreams  When I imagine a story or write, I see the story in my mind, the characters, actions, like a movie.  

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Last night I finished  The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence Book 1) by K. D. Edwards;

Sounds good, will check it out. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Dreaming of Books said:

I read Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage - 5 Stars - Reading this was such a pleasure. Dan Crenshaw shares his story and the lessons that he’s learned along the way.

Sounds like one my hubby would enjoy. I'll have to get it for him.  Thanks! 

• Like 3

The Purity of Vengence was this weeks audiobook.  It’s part of the Department Q series that I believe @Pen has read some of.  A good Nordic noir........https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18079489-the-purity-of-vengeance

I also finished The Lady Most Willing......which had three historical fiction authors in one full length book.  I checked it out planning to just read the Julia Quinn story and have no idea what part she wrote.  Enjoyable.......https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13561603-the-lady-most-willing

• Like 4

I finally read a book that my daughter has recommended for years, The Thief (The Queen's Thief Book 1) by Megan Whalen Turner; it was a very good read.

"Eugenides, the queen’s thief, can steal anything—or so he says. When his boasting lands him in prison and the king’s magus invites him on a quest to steal a legendary object, he’s in no position to refuse. The magus thinks he has the right tool for the job, but Gen has plans of his own. The Queen’s Thief novels have been praised by writers, critics, reviewers, and fans, and have been honored with glowing reviews, “best of” citations, and numerous awards, including the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, a Newbery Honor, the Andre Norton Award shortlist, and the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Kareni, you've got to read the rest in the series, they're all great and quite different from one another.

I spent the weekend finishing off a few books that I was slogging through.

David Mogo, Godhunter by Okungbowa - if you know Lagos, you'd like it, as it's set there with great detailed cultural knowledge. But I still have no idea what happened or why. Confusing.

The Gilded Ones by Forna - simpler plot, but a bit gruesome. Dismembering etc. African girls who are actually demons fight demons.

Cryptosight by McKenzie - Australian kids book about mythological monsters (like bunyips, bigfoot etc) being real and the kids can see them. Bit boring.

Also getting through the "Keeper of the Lost Cities" series as my daughter is reading them and wants to talk about them. They're all right, but I don't really care if 14yr old whatsit isn't sure if she likes boy A or boy B. It's B-grade fantasy compared with what's out there, but you know, once they're in a series, they want to finish them. Although even my daughter admitted that it's at the point of being filler before they get to the proper climax finale.

Now I've put those aside, I'm reading some non-fiction I like (Babylon by Paul Kriwaczek). I still prefer really good fiction, but I will stick to re-reads for a bit because I want to read something I know will be good. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dreaming of Books said:

Kindle book on sale. I might download a sample and see if I like it. By the time that I'm finished with the sample, the sale may have expired. Oh well. Not sure about this one. The reviews are good, but I'm not always drawn towards magical realism. Has anyone read this?

I recall that @Matryoshkaspoke highly of the book.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dreaming of Books said:

Kindle book on sale. I might download a sample and see if I like it. By the time that I'm finished with the sample, the sale may have expired. Oh well. Not sure about this one. The reviews are good, but I'm not always drawn towards magical realism. Has anyone read this?

9781542040501.jpg

26 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I recall that @Matryoshkaspoke highly of the book.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, I loved it.  It is definitely magical realism, but mostly in that the boy in the story has a kind of communion with bees and has some second sense kind of thing going on.  The rest is fairly realistic.  It's set during the Mexican revolution, but it affects the story mostly tangentially.  The 1918 influenza also makes an appearance.

• Like 3

Hi guys!

Not much to report since my last post.  I have started reading Think Like a Monk, which someone bought me for my birthday.  So far so good.  Just this morning I got to the part where they list the positive values per the Bhagavad-Gita.  Such a long list, and I'm supposed to decide which ones I want to adopt and start living by them.  The list:  fearlessness, purity of mind, gratitude, service and charity, acceptance, performing sacrifice, deep study, austerity, straightforwardness, nonviolence, truthfulness, absence of anger, renunciation, perspective, restraint from fault finding, compassion toward all living beings, satisfaction, gentleness/kindness, integrity, determination.

My kids had "The Glass Menagerie" in their English class ... I don't know if they actually read it or not, but I know I never have, so I snagged one of their copies to read.  So far I'm still in the introduction.

This week, the teacher has listed "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" in their assignments.  I would not consider this a book for 9th graders to read, but maybe it's just an excerpt.  I had the same thought a couple weeks ago when I saw "Angela's Ashes" on the assignment list.  Do 9th graders actually read that book?  I remember some scenes that were definitely not school-friendly.

• Like 4

Regarding the Queen's Thief series:

19 hours ago, bookbard said:

Kareni, you've got to read the rest in the series, they're all great and quite different from one another.

18 hours ago, LaughingCat said:

Agree totally!!

I've heard nothing but good things about the series and will try to get back to it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I read and enjoyed the science fiction novella, Binti by Nnedi Okorafor; I'm now waiting for the next book in the trilogy to arrive from the library. Thank you for the recommendation, @SusanC.

"Winner of the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award for Best Novella!

Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs.

Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti's stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach.

If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself — but first she has to make it there, alive."

I also read and enjoyed the contemporary romance, Tough Guy: A Gay Sports Romance (Game Changers Book 3) by Rachel Reid. (Adult content)

"They have nothing in common—so why does Ryan feel most like himself whenever he’s with Fabian?

Pro hockey star Ryan Price may be an enforcer, but off the ice he struggles with anxiety. Recently traded to the Toronto Guardians, he’s determined to make a fresh start in the city’s dynamic LGBTQ Village. The last thing he expects to stumble upon in his new neighborhood is a blast from his past in the fabulous form of Fabian Salah.

Aspiring musician Fabian loathes hockey. But that doesn’t stop him from being attracted to a certain burly, ginger-bearded defenseman. He hasn’t forgotten the kiss they almost shared back in high school, and it’s clear the chemistry between them has only intensified...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I read and enjoyed the science fiction novella, Binti 

Glad you liked it! I'm rereading Rogue Patrol today after listening to a panel over the weekend from the Tucson Book Festival that included Martha Wells. The panel was free to stream after I gave my name and email. Perhaps there were other authors that would also be of interest to BaWers if anyone wants to check it out. There are some things that were pushed online in the last 12 months that I hope will continue to have a strong online presence going forward!

• Like 4

I finished some very eclectic reading last week:

A Bear Called Paddington -- I hadn't read this in a long time.  I think my littles are going to like this one.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X -- I knew virtually nothing about Malcolm X's life before reading this book.  His life was not what I expected.  It's almost like he lived two very (short) extreme lives.  I was amazed at the change that happened while he was in prison.  I wonder what would have happened if he had been presented a faith other than the Muslim faith.  Would he have accepted that as willingly?  Although my faith is not Muslim, I was impressed with his devotion.  He really did strive to become what he believed to be the best person he could be.

Hickory Dickory Death -- Classic Agatha.

A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X Hickory Dickory Death by Agatha Christie

• Like 4

Finished re-reading The English Patient. I loved when it first came out (and the film). His writing is amazing, but it's interesting, I felt differently about it now, especially about how he writes women. It's nearly 30 years on, things have changed a lot. 

Finished the non-fiction Babylon which was fascinating. I think it is also a re-read but it's such a dense text that I only remembered bits. The writer covers a basic history of ancient middle east and links it to modern events. I had no idea that the 'baby in the bulrushes' thing was actually a story about King Sargon (and probably an oral tradition older than that). Or that the very oldest piece of signed text was by a woman, Enheduanna, about a goddess, Inanna. It was interesting to see how over time women's rights decreased, from women typically running inns and businesses to the point where in the late Assyrian time women were totally cloistered. But this is a period of thousands of years, change happens.

• Like 4

I've started a lot of books since I last posted, but didn't finish many. So many books back to the library half read!

26. "For the Love of Europe" by Rick Steves. I read the actual, physical book this year, so I could enjoy the pictures.

25. "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Audible book. We did "1984" in AP English back in the day, but I never got around to Animal Farm until now.

24. "The Case of the Missing Marquess" by Nancy Springer. 

23. "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen" by J.K Rowling. Audible book. 

22. "Blackout" by Candace Owens.

21. "An Excellent Mystery" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

20. "The Pilgrim of Hate" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

19. "Dead Man's Ransom" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

18. "4:50 from Paddington" by Agatha Christie. Audible book.

17. "Man in the Brown Suit" by Agatha Christie. Audible book. 

16. "The Mysterious Mr. Quin" by Agatha Christie. Audible book. 

15. "I Will Repay" by Baroness Orczy. Audible book. 

14. "Dead Man's Ranson" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

13. "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy. Audible book.

12. "The Devil's Novice" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

11. "The Sanctuary Sparrow" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

10. "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters. Audible book. 

9. "Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?" by Caitlin Doughty. 

8. "Law and Disorder: The Legendary Profiler's Relentless Pursuit of Justice" by John Doublas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. 

7. "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

6. "The Cases That Haunt Us" by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. 

5. "From Here to Eternity: Travelling the World to Find the Good Death" by Caitlin Doughty. 

4. "Not a Day Care: The Devastating Consequences of Abandoning Truth" by Dr. Everett Piper. Audible book. 

3. "The Innocence of Father Brown" by G.K. Chesterton. Audible book.

2. "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

1. "The Mysterious Mr. Quin: A Harley Quin Collection" by Agatha Christie. Audible book.

• Like 4

Some bookish news and links ~

Norton Juster, Who Wrote ‘The Phantom Tollbooth,’ Dies at 91

Longing to Travel? Explore France with These 9 Magnifique Reads

https://offtheshelf.com/2021/02/books-france-travel/

Offbeat European Children’s Books For Adults

https://electricliterature.com/quirky-european-childrens-books-for-adults/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finally finished some books! 

The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell is #5 in The Saxon Stories/Last Kingdom. I think I mentioned last week or the week before this is an excellent historical fiction series that tells the story of how Alfred the Great and his children and grandchildren brought the various tribes together to create a united England. Also as I mentioned there's a lot of fighting with blood and gore. If you can handle that I highly recommend these books. Bill also started reading this series and is already on book 3. Since he only reads one book at a time and I always have a bunch going, I suspect he'll soon pass me up and possibly finish the series before I do. The final book just came out this year. 

Murder on Waverly Place - Gaslight Mystery #11. I usually read these before bed when I don't want to read anything that makes me think or has too much happening. 

Martin Chuzzlewit - my first completed audio book of the year. I pulled the next one out of my TBR jar and it's also a Dickens book, Dombey and Son. I had several Audible credits to use before I canceled my subscription and I went for a combination of the longest and highest priced books. Several Dickens novel fell into that category so I bought them with credits. 

On 3/7/2021 at 2:21 PM, Robin M said:

Count of Monte Cristo Readalong:

Chapter 13. The Hundred Days

Chapter 14. The Two Prisoners

Chapter 15. Number 34 and Number 27

Share your thoughts and comments on the story so far

I read Chapter 13 last week before I saw that we were taking an extra week. I still need to read 14 and 15 but I can see by their titles that it will finally be getting to some really good parts. It's a reread for me and I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say more. 

• Like 4

This evening I finished Winter's Orbit by Everina Maxwell which I enjoyed. I'm curious to see if it is the first in a series. If yes, I'll happily read on.

This has many favorable blurbs including those from Katherine Addison (The Goblin Emperor) and Martha Wells (Murderbot).

Kiem, a famously disappointing minor royal and the Emperor's least favorite grandchild, has been called upon to be useful for once. He's commanded to fulfill an obligation of marriage to the representative of the Empire's newest and most rebellious vassal planet. His future husband, Count Jainan, is a widower and murder suspect.

Neither wants to be wed, but with a conspiracy unfolding around them and the fate of the empire at stake they will have to navigate the thorns and barbs of court intrigue, the machinations of war, and the long shadows of Jainan's past, and they'll have to do it together.

So begins a legendary love story amid the stars."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finished listening to Christie’s The Body in the Library last night as part of my Christie in order challenge.  It’s the second Miss Marple.  This one rates as good but not spectacular. 😂Of course I happened to remember this one well which meant I did’t really engage fully.  I think I watched a tv version last year.

• Like 4

Re-reading Laurie King's "Mary Russell" series. They're great books, so much researched detail in them. I'm not a huge Sherlock Holmes fan (though I liked the Benedict Cumberbatch version, till they wrecked it in the last few eps), but you don't need to be, for these stories. Esp love that Peter Wimsy appears in one book - why not, right?

• Like 4

I finished Chapter 14 of The Count of Monte Cristo and oh my! It's hard not to want to go on and find out what's next but I'm determined to stick with the schedule. Even though I know what's next I'm enjoying the reread and am finding myself as surprised and anxious as if I was reading it for the first time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I finished Chapter 14 of The Count of Monte Cristo and oh my! It's hard not to want to go on and find out what's next but I'm determined to stick with the schedule. Even though I know what's next I'm enjoying the reread and am finding myself as surprised and anxious as if I was reading it for the first time.

I did go on, just this once.  Just one chapter while I waited for the quiches to finish baking for dinner.

• Like 6

I just finished rereading The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addisonmy local book group will be discussing this next week. It was my suggestion to the group, and I will be interested to learn what they think of it.

"The youngest, half-goblin son of the Emperor has lived his entire life in exile, distant from the Imperial Court and the deadly intrigue that suffuses it. But when his father and three sons in line for the throne are killed in an "accident," he has no choice but to take his place as the only surviving rightful heir.

Entirely unschooled in the art of court politics, he has no friends, no advisors, and the sure knowledge that whoever assassinated his father and brothers could make an attempt on his life at any moment.

Surrounded by sycophants eager to curry favor with the naïve new emperor, and overwhelmed by the burdens of his new life, he can trust nobody. Amid the swirl of plots to depose him, offers of arranged marriages, and the specter of the unknown conspirators who lurk in the shadows, he must quickly adjust to life as the Goblin Emperor. All the while, he is alone, and trying to find even a single friend . . . and hoping for the possibility of romance, yet also vigilant against the unseen enemies that threaten him, lest he lose his throne–or his life."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

On 3/12/2021 at 4:31 AM, Negin said:

Kindle book on sale today. I've read and loved other books by him. Not sure if I should get this or not. I love Israel. It's over 1000 pages, but the length shouldn't deter me. Has anyone else read this?

9780375760389.jpg

I read it last year. It's interesting and well done, but got a bit tedious toward the later half of the book . The archeological portions were interesting, but after a while all the historic sections and all the Death was just too much. Skimmed the Last forth and enjoyed the remaining chapter with the characters discussing, arguing, and pondering what it means to be Jewish.

It takes one small town which is in the path of history including biblical from the stone age up to the creation of Israel. It bounces back and forth from a 1960's archaeological dig of that town in which discoveries at the site take the story back to the historical and can get pretty dark at times. I dare say you might like it and take into account it's a slow start so may take more than 100 pages or so to know whether you want to continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bookbard said:

Yeah, The Goblin Emperor is a frequent re-read here, it's so well-plotted. I keep imagining though they're in some hill underground, because of the goblin thing and because there's no real mention of the outdoors. 

That's an interesting observation, bookbard, which has me trying to remember outdoor scenes.

I can recall ~

The initial airship ride to the palace and the sunrise.

Snow during the coronation.

The walk Maia takes with his nephew.

The account of Maia's secretary's very negative courier experience.

The horse buying expedition with Maia's grandfather.

The astronomical viewing atop the roof.

But, you are right that the vast majority of the book takes place indoors.

Regards,

Kareni