Menu

would you live near a dump?

ktgrok

There could be a large amount of truck traffic and work machine noise (backup alarms, compactors, dumping sounds etc.). I would never live near a dump if I was on a well. City water would probably be safe from contamination. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kalmia said:

There could be a large amount of truck traffic and work machine noise (backup alarms, compactors, dumping sounds etc.). I would never live near a dump if I was on a well. City water would probably be safe from contamination. 

it's city water

So, they trap the methane produced and use it for energy, which is cool...but I don't know if that means the air quality issues are different? Noise is another issue, yes. 

This is the landfill - will delete later if I actually move to the place across the street - but I doubt I will. http://www.brevardfl.gov/SolidWaste/Facilities/central-disposal-facility/TourFacility

This is the map - the development is highlighted in red. Its just under a mile from the development to the landfill - that big area on the top left. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 4.52.42 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok

I lived around the corner from our town landfill growing up. Less than a quarter mile from the entrance road and under a mile from actual garbage. There was no real smell associated with it, but we did have seagulls!  It did serve a relatively small population though, so I’m guessing that’s something that can vary.

I don’t know anything about how it affected property values though. It was a very standard ‘50s- ‘60s-built suburban lake community. They closed, covered, and turned the landfill into soccer fields around 1990 and I didn’t obsessively track property values until my mom sold the house in 2000.

2 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

So you would be close to a landfill AND the 95? Interstate traffic might get annoying.  

I honestly wouldn't if I had a choice.  

Yup, I was already leaning toward crossing it off the list due to air pollution from the highway. Highway pollution bothers me more than the noise actually. I grew up with train tracks nearby, and have them not far here too, so sleep right through train whistles, lol. But air quality is important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Yup, I was already leaning toward crossing it off the list due to air pollution from the highway. Highway pollution bothers me more than the noise actually. I grew up with train tracks nearby, and have them not far here too, so sleep right through train whistles, lol. But air quality is important. 

Oh the trains! I used to visit my mom in Orlando and the first night or two would wake up at 12, 2, and 4 or thereabouts bc of the trains going through.  But after that I would sleep through it. 

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

This is still my favorite response. I don't know why it cracks me up, but it totally does. 

I am kinda thinking about it seriously though. I think the traffic in and out would be my main problem? But then, someone's gotta live a mile from the dump. And it sounds like they minimise smell...

I'd live there before I'd live next to the big power line things. And honestly, a main road is maybe just as bad. So, I'm sorta coming around to the idea if there's a major benefit to it - house $ cheaper, closer to needed amenities, better layout/more workable for family...

I have a friend in waste management. It's quite interesting, in a niche way. 

• Like 1

We did not live next to a dump but we bought next to an ex dump with a proposed highway close by.  By the time we moved for unrelated reasons the front half of the ex dump had been rehabilitated as a massive play ground and park area and once the road went through we realised we couldn’t hear it and it was a non issue.  Property went up in value a lot partly due to those things.

I probably wouldn’t choose to live near an active dump though.

• Like 1

I kind of do. We’re not in the normal wind path, but sometimes before a storm the wind comes from that way and it smells SO STRONGLY of methane. Even though they trap it too. 

It’s not labeled on the local maps or I would have known better. 

Cross it off your list. 

• Like 1

Not if I could help it. I once attended a church next to a large landfill, and the water in the church was extremely nasty. I know you said you'd have city water, but still...there would have to be more pollution there. I will say that I never noticed a smell. 

I have a friend who lives next to a grocery store in our small town, and the backup beepers on the delivery trucks drive her nuts. And that's just, like, twice a week! 

• Like 4

No, not around here anyway.  Better than a sewage plant because no smell, but the roads nearby are always littered with tons of stuff that flies out of trucks despite the ‘cover’ laws.  And they open very early in the morning for construction debris, dumping, which means very noisy diesel truck noise, including backup beeping, starting early and intense in the early hours. Plus the operators of the dump are constantly running bulldozers and earth movers to shove piles together or dispose of things.  To summarize, t’s very dusty and extremely noise and there is debris surrounding it all the time.

• Like 1

and just realized, all that exhaust from the diesel trucks. That seals the deal I think. I think I could handle the noise, but I once listened to a story on NPR about how diesel exhaust has microparticulates that can cross the blood brain barrier and ever since I hold my breath near big trucks, lol. 

• Like 4

I grew up down the street from a former landfill (I don't remember it open) - where a transfer station had been built.  It's been turned into a "park".  (we did play there in the "fields".)  Another one here was turned into a golf course.   (they cover them up with dirt- and can't do anything to excavate.)  both have expensive houses nearby - especially the golf-course one.

there have been some indications of issues with the decomposition of items in the landfill.   is it open?  how much longer is it supposed to be open?  would your property be uphill or downhill from the landfill?  (I'd be more concerned about underwater drainage patterns).

2 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Honestly being sandwiched between the highway and a landfill would be a hard no for me. 

Ditto. Being that close to a major interstate would be almost as big a turnoff for me as being close to a landfill. And the two combined . . no way. 

The houses are just under a mile from the landfill. Would you hear the backup beeps from a mile away? I don’t think that will be an issue.

I lived near 95 (but up north by a few states) when I was first married in an apartment. It’s just so...noisy.  My husband tried to convince himself he was hearing the whoosh of the ocean, but it was clearly the non-stop 24/7 whoosh of trucks and cars. 

I don’t know about the dump, but I would hate to live by 95 again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

For this reason alone, I’d say NO!  Omg.  When I hear that sound, my head feels like exploding.  🤯

What's weird is that I've visited them a lot and never heard it.  But this is what they tell me.

What I *have* heard is the airplanes (small planes) going overhead.  In the morning.  While I'm still in bed.  They live in flight path to the local airport.  Now *that* would send me over the edge!

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

and just realized, all that exhaust from the diesel trucks. That seals the deal I think. I think I could handle the noise, but I once listened to a story on NPR about how diesel exhaust has microparticulates that can cross the blood brain barrier and ever since I hold my breath near big trucks, lol. 

There are also studies showing higher asthma rates and other poor outcomes for kids living near major highways though it’s a long time since I looked into it.  I don’t know if removing lead from fuel has helped with that or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There are also studies showing higher asthma rates and other poor outcomes for kids living near major highways though it’s a long time since I looked into it.  I don’t know if removing lead from fuel has helped with that or not.

I remember reading about it being linked to autism or ADHD, I forget which, as well. 

• Like 1

I live near a landfill. The county wants well access to our property because they can’t use the water in the industrial park due to contamination.

I mean, I don’t really see it, or particularly notice it’s there, but it would be nice to not be as close as we are. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Garga said:

The houses are just under a mile from the landfill. Would you hear the backup beeps from a mile away? I don’t think that will be an issue.

I lived near 95 (but up north by a few states) when I was first married in an apartment. It’s just so...noisy.  My husband tried to convince himself he was hearing the whoosh of the ocean, but it was clearly the non-stop 24/7 whoosh of trucks and cars. 

I don’t know about the dump, but I would hate to live by 95 again.

My husband is very sensitive to road noise. I remember that being a major concern for him when we picked our lot because of the busy road out at the front of the property. All the trees deaden the road noise pretty well, though. You can still hear trucks and snowplows, but not every car that passes. 

For several years, our neighbor to the front had a school bus service. I *did* find that very annoying because of all the beeping and headlights early in the morning. The bus headlights would shine directly into our bedroom window. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EKS said:

What I *have* heard is the airplanes (small planes) going overhead.  In the morning.  While I'm still in bed.  They live in flight path to the local airport.  Now *that* would send me over the edge!

I have the small local airport in my back yard....well, the runway at least.   I actually love to hear the planes coming in and heading out.  In good weather we watch sky divers jump and we even have military choppers come once in a while.  Seriously, I love it.

• Like 2

Although, I currently live in the flight path of a master jet base. When I first visited here when I was dating DH, I was like HOW in the world do people live here? This is insanity! Now, I don't even notice the jet noise. So I suppose it's just what you get used to.

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 1

I think I'd prefer not to live near a landfill, but I don't really know too much about what it'd be like.  But speaking of trains, I LOVE the sound of trains, especially at night.  We live near a big old inner-city train depot and the trains pass by right on the other side of the river from us.  We hear them coming and going all night long, and I purposely keep our windows open at night to hear them.  Although they don't wake me up...  It's just if I happen to be awake that I hear them.  

I would be curious who owns the forested land south of the landfill. If that is owned by the same group and they plan to expand there, that would be a serious concern.

I think everyone else has named the major concerns. There is a rather large landfill on the far west side of our city that was on fire for a number of years. Hopefully the more recently developed landfills wouldn't have that problem. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dynamite5 said:

Real Estate 101: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

unfortunately, our main needs are SPACE SPACE SPACE, lol. With DH working from home from now on, we can't keep on as we are. We ar all losing our freaking minds. To be truthful, if it was live by a dump or live here where we are, I'd take the dump, lol. I can't handle 6 people, 5 home 24/7, in this space much longer. 

13 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have the small local airport in my back yard....well, the runway at least.   I actually love to hear the planes coming in and heading out.  In good weather we watch sky divers jump and we even have military choppers come once in a while.  Seriously, I love it.

We also have a small airstrip nearby and I really enjoy the sound. My grandparent's house was near a small municipal airport and I think there's a good dose of nostalgia wrapped up in it for me. Our airport is not too busy, maybe 3-5 planes a day. Now we did once live directly under the flight path for a major airport and that was pretty noisy. I didn't mind it too much 20 years ago but I couldn't handle it now.

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

You need one of those she-sheds.

I'd even take on on TOP of the dump, lol. 

In all seriousness, we considered putting one in for DH as his office, which would mean I coudl at least sleep in my own bed at night when he is working late, and flush the toilet or shower in my own bathroom when he's on a phone call not worry about the kids being too loud during the day, but we need a bigger house anyway...DD11 is still sharing with DS8 and DD3 is sleeping in the playroom area on a daybed.