Jump to content

Menu

The perfect storm: gut related


Recommended Posts

Thursday night as I was watching tv my lower back started hurting. Not bad but annoying so I put the heating pad on it. Within an hour I could barely walk, so I went to bed. When it was time for my nightly medication, I got up to go the bathroom and take my meds but when I got up from the toilet and grabbed onto the doorframe for support, the next thing I knew I was waking up lying on the bathroom floor. I had no memory of falling nor could I get up. I banged on the wall and yelled for DH but he thought it was the cats (?!) and didn't come. So I started dragging myself towards the bed with my arms. Just as I was getting there DH decided to investigate the noise and helped me the rest of the way into bed. I slept fine but the next morning when DH was helping me out of bed I fainted again so he called 911. 

Unfortunately, they couldn't transport me to the base and so for financial reasons instead of them transporting me, I had them carry me out to the car so DH could drive me to the military hospital. There they came out and got me back out. I can't even tell you the pain level of all this movement. Tears would be pouring down my face and I didn't even realize it. Of course the ER wanted to do xrays, and the getting me situated for all the different positions had me sobbing. To make matters worse, they had to stab me 10 times to get a vein for blood work and to start an IV.

In the end, I was diagnosed with a UTI, kidney infection and a large mass backed up in my gut from constipation. All of the swelling from these things were squeezing on those nerves on my right side causing pain from my lower back down to the outside of my knee. They sent me home and thankfully DH is able to lift me out of the chair and into bed and back again. It's not easy nor unpainful but at least we can get it done. It's crazy! I can't even lift my own legs! He even has to raise and lower my clothes after going to the bathroom. Please let this be over soon!

Anyway, just had to vent about the perfect storm taking place in my gut. Ugh. The weird things our bodies do to us.

  • Sad 36
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I'm so sorry, that sounds both miserable and scary. Assuming you're on antibiotics, are you also taking Florastor to help your gut?

I'm not but that's a really good idea. I've sort have been in a pain bubble so my brain isn't thinking beyond what they gave me at the ER - Tylenol, a steroid, a stool softener and an antibiotic. I think I'm going to go do a search on that so I can get DH to get me some. Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kassia said:

I'm so sorry, @stephanier.1765!  That must have been terrifying for you and you must be so miserable now.  I hope you feel better soon - you have been through way too much in the past year.  😞 

 

Thank you! It's so weird that so soon after me having to be a care taker for DH that he now has to be one for me. He may even have the harder job, at least strength wise. Hopefully, I will heal faster than he did.🤞

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm not but that's a really good idea. I've sort have been in a pain bubble so my brain isn't thinking beyond what they gave me at the ER - Tylenol, a steroid, a stool softener and an antibiotic. I think I'm going to go do a search on that so I can get DH to get me some. Thank you!

Amazon has it in stock if you want to order it. (It's not cheap but it's one of the few probiotics you can take at the same time as antibiotics, since it's not bacteria.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a nightmare!  I’m so sorry.  

Did they tell you anything to watch out for?  Like vomiting - go back to the ER.  Yikes.  But seriously, if you vomit - go to the ER, ok?  I’m sure they told you that with a UTI and kidney infection.

(BTDT with a kid, awful, she was in hospital for a few days.)

Florastor is a great idea.  A heads up that taking too much of it can cause constipation, and since that’s already an issue, just keep an eye on that part!  I take Florastor every day, C Diff survivor here.  (Shudder)

Feel better and better!  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spryte said:

What a nightmare!  I’m so sorry.  

Did they tell you anything to watch out for?  Like vomiting - go back to the ER.  Yikes.  But seriously, if you vomit - go to the ER, ok?  I’m sure they told you that with a UTI and kidney infection.

(BTDT with a kid, awful, she was in hospital for a few days.)

Florastor is a great idea.  A heads up that taking too much of it can cause constipation, and since that’s already an issue, just keep an eye on that part!  I take Florastor every day, C Diff survivor here.  (Shudder)

Feel better and better!  

Thank you! I just ordered the Florastor  but I'll keep in mind what you've said. I've never taken anything like this before so it's good to know what to watch out for.

No, they didn't say anything about vomiting. Yikes! As we were getting me up today and throughout different parts of the day, I've been really nauseous but I've been writing that off as a pain response. Hopefully, that's all it is. The only thing they told me when discharging me was to come back if it got worse or if I was no better after taking the course of medication. Thank you for this heads up too!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Florastor is excellent, I only mentioned the constipation issue because that’s a complicating issue for you at the moment.  In the C Diff world, we take pretty high doses and the general advice is if you become constipated - back down on the dose.  I big puffy heart love Florastor, just be aware!  C Diff is awful, so Florastor is a must!

I actually have a UTI at the moment, too.  But not like yours!  Any time you have one ... even if you’re on abx ... if you start vomiting, or things get worse - please go straight to the ER, or have your DH call right away.  
 

I hope you just get better and better, and your meds work fast!  Big healing hugs coming your way.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BeachGal said:

That sounds awful!

What are you taking? Doxy?

I wasn't with DH when he got my meds, they sent him to the pharmacy while I was finishing my IV to help skip the waiting, so I'm not exactly sure what is what. Other than the Tylenol, I have ciprofloxacin, dicyclomine and docusate calcium.

Now that I'm back on my tablet I probably should go investigate these. LOL Mostly I've been doing quiet things to keep my mind busy. So a lot of Animal Crossing. 🤦‍♀️

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Thursday night as I was watching tv my lower back started hurting. Not bad but annoying so I put the heating pad on it. Within an hour I could barely walk, so I went to bed. When it was time for my nightly medication, I got up to go the bathroom and take my meds but when I got up from the toilet and grabbed onto the doorframe for support, the next thing I knew I was waking up lying on the bathroom floor. I had no memory of falling nor could I get up. I banged on the wall and yelled for DH but he thought it was the cats (?!) and didn't come. So I started dragging myself towards the bed with my arms. Just as I was getting there DH decided to investigate the noise and helped me the rest of the way into bed. I slept fine but the next morning when DH was helping me out of bed I fainted again so he called 911. 

Unfortunately, they couldn't transport me to the base and so for financial reasons instead of them transporting me, I had them carry me out to the car so DH could drive me to the military hospital. There they came out and got me back out. I can't even tell you the pain level of all this movement. Tears would be pouring down my face and I didn't even realize it. Of course the ER wanted to do xrays, and the getting me situated for all the different positions had me sobbing. To make matters worse, they had to stab me 10 times to get a vein for blood work and to start an IV.

In the end, I was diagnosed with a UTI, kidney infection and a large mass backed up in my gut from constipation. All of the swelling from these things were squeezing on those nerves on my right side causing pain from my lower back down to the outside of my knee. They sent me home and thankfully DH is able to lift me out of the chair and into bed and back again. It's not easy nor unpainful but at least we can get it done. It's crazy! I can't even lift my own legs! He even has to raise and lower my clothes after going to the bathroom. Please let this be over soon!

Anyway, just had to vent about the perfect storm taking place in my gut. Ugh. The weird things our bodies do to us.

Ugh!  That sounds awful.  Really hope you feel better soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, okay. In the not so distant future should you need it, there will be a prescription charcoal you can take with the biggie antibiotics like cipro which will prevent the microbiome from getting wiped out. It’s called DAV132 and is made by a French company called Da Volterra. It is pretty fantastic.

Lots of Animal Crossing sounds like a good idea. I hope you feel much better very soon!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I had a nightmare. I don't remember about what but I tried to sit up. It took my body slamming back into the bed twice before the pain woke me fully enough that I never was able to go back to sleep. I'm a dumbfounded that a UTI and constipation has led to this. I'm completely helpless. I can't stand up, sit up, lean forward or even raise my legs. I find myself being anxious about emergencies and not being able to save myself. I mean what are the odds the house will catch on fire but I'm anxious just the same. I'm scared. How long will this last? The pain of getting out of bed this morning had me sobbing while DH held me upright. I had to stand there until the pain subsided enough for me to shuffle on.

  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you ask your doctor for some decent pain meds? I can't believe they sent you home with nothing but Tylenol for pain at that level. There's no reason you should have to suffer like this. 😥

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@stephanier.1765 that just doesn't sound right.  Do you have a follow-up with a doctor?  Did they give you any idea of when you should feel better? I agree that you should have been given stronger pain relief.  😞  Of course you are scared - you are in pain and helpless and don't even know why.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Can you ask your doctor for some decent pain meds? I can't believe they sent you home with nothing but Tylenol for pain at that level. There's no reason you should have to suffer like this. 😥

 

9 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@stephanier.1765 that just doesn't sound right.  Do you have a follow-up with a doctor?  Did they give you any idea of when you should feel better? I agree that you should have been given stronger pain relief.  😞  Of course you are scared - you are in pain and helpless and don't even know why.  

I'm already on a pain medication for my fibromyalgia that no one likes that I'm taking, so when it comes to extra pain management I don't get a lot of help. I'm surprised they even gave me the Tylenol since there is already Tylenol in my fibromyalgia medicine. I am contacting my PCM in the morning. DH was off work from September until the day after Christmas because he shattered his leg and couldn't deliver mail. That ate all our savings so we don't have a cushion to fall on for him to stay off work caring for me. This has got to get better fast for so many reasons.

When I was a child, I had a virus that caused me to be unable to walk. This is bringing so many memories and feelings of that time to the surface. 

  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you call your regular doctor?  I would say this warrants an after hours call to the doc on call.

I’m so sorry.  Please call.  It could be that you need to be seen again.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

 

I'm already on a pain medication for my fibromyalgia that no one likes that I'm taking, so when it comes to extra pain management I don't get a lot of help. I'm surprised they even gave me the Tylenol since there is already Tylenol in my fibromyalgia medicine. I am contacting my PCM in the morning. DH was off work from September until the day after Christmas because he shattered his leg and couldn't deliver mail. That ate all our savings so we don't have a cushion to fall on for him to stay off work caring for me. This has got to get better fast for so many reasons.

When I was a child, I had a virus that caused me to be unable to walk. This is bringing so many memories and feelings of that time to the surface. 

Are you sure they are aware of both medicines?  I’d hate for you to add liver failure to your list of problems by ODing on Tylenol by accident. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lauraw4321 said:

Are you sure they are aware of both medicines?  I’d hate for you to add liver failure to your list of problems by ODing on Tylenol by accident. 

Luckily they are. My regular PCM is in that military hospital (one of the reasons I wanted to go there) so all my records are at their fingertips. Plus, I did confirm it with my PCM just in case. There is an amount allowable per day and if I don't go over that I should be fine. In my mind, the sooner I don't need it the better. Even if I can tolerate so much per day, I don't want to put my body through that if I can help it. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@stephanier.1765how are you doing today?

 

 

28 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I hope you’re feeling better today. Gosh you sound so sick!

It's weird. I have moments of excruciating pain, especially in the morning and after naps. I don't know if it's because of being still for so long or because of the position I'm in but my whole world becomes nothing but pain and DH just has to pull me through it or I'd never be able to get up. I still have the constant ache with the occasional spikes of pain I've had all long. But I can now get myself up from the toilet by holding and pulling onto things and fixing my own pants. I still shuffle while walking but the likelihood of me falling has lessened as long as I am still close to walls for support. I can also bring my right leg towards me if I bend it, whereas before I couldn't move that leg at all. It still hurts to do it but I'm thrilled to see any kind of progress. My bowels have been moving but nothing more than they would on any other day. I've added Miralax to my medicine regimen in hopes of moving things further along because DH needs to get back to work and nobody else in the family who is free would be strong enough to do the lifting he has needed to do for me. I contacted my PCM first thing this morning but I've not heard anything back from them. I need to know if I need to go back to the ER since things aren't much better. It's probably not considered emergent any more since I'm not longer losing consciousness. Which is a very good thing, but I don't know what to do as a next step.

Thanks for asking 💗

  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Spryte said:

@stephanier.1765 I hope you hear back from your doc soon.  That sounds miserable.  Feeling worried about you...

yes, this is exactly what I wanted to say.  😞  

 

Please update when you can

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you hear from your doc soon- when one of us is sick it always seems like when you are sent him the message is that you’ll feel much better soon. But how soon? And how long to wait before going back?  You sound pretty miserable...not passing out is good, but it still seems pretty awful.  feel better soon...sending good vibes your way. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has constipation been an issue? Obviously the UTI is the most pressing issue, but if it has been a problem then Digestics or Solle FasTraq. I take The Cultured Coconut from Canada for gut health. It’s nasty but tops for gut health. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kassia said:

@stephanier.1765 Hope I'm not harassing you, but please update when you can.  I'm really worried about you. 

 

Harassing? Definitely not! Not even by a long shot. Today the steps towards healing having been much bigger and I've been able to do more for myself. I'm so ready to wake up and have my old body back. It may have creaked and groaned but it got the job done.  I'm definitely 110% better mentally. The end of the road is starting to come in sight and that's a huge boost to morale. Tomorrow at 11 I have a doctor's appointment. Not with my own doctor (I never did hear back from him) which stinks but I hope this one can help me figure out a plan going forward. Never, ever again do I want to go through this so I need some answers and solutions. 

Thanks for asking and caring. That really does mean a lot. 💗

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

@stephanier.1765thanks for the update.  I'm glad you're feeling some improvement mentally and physically.  Good luck with your doctor appt. tomorrow.  I'm glad you are seeing someone different since your regular doctor obviously isn't helpful.  I hope this new doctor can figure things out and get you recovered ASAP.  Please let us know what happens.  I'll be thinking of you.  ❤️

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@stephanier.1765How did the doc appt go? Like @Kassia, I am worried about you. Honestly, it doesn't sound like any UTI I've ever had because I feel 75% better in 24 hrs once I'm on meds. And back to 100% in 36 hours though I know it can take longer. And the constipation thing just doesn't sound legit as causing your symptoms, but I'm not a doctor.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

@stephanier.1765How did the doc appt go? Like @Kassia, I am worried about you. Honestly, it doesn't sound like any UTI I've ever had because I feel 75% better in 24 hrs once I'm on meds. And back to 100% in 36 hours though I know it can take longer. And the constipation thing just doesn't sound legit as causing your symptoms, but I'm not a doctor.

As usual, I feel the same way you do.

Stephanie - been thinking about you all day. Hope your appt. went well and that you get relief and answers.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

@stephanier.1765How did the doc appt go? Like @Kassia, I am worried about you. Honestly, it doesn't sound like any UTI I've ever had because I feel 75% better in 24 hrs once I'm on meds. And back to 100% in 36 hours though I know it can take longer. And the constipation thing just doesn't sound legit as causing your symptoms, but I'm not a doctor.

 

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

As usual, I feel the same way you do.

Stephanie - been thinking about you all day. Hope your appt. went well and that you get relief and answers.  

I thought the whole UTI/constipation diagnosis was "out there" but when I questioned the doctor he seemed certain. At today's appointment, there was no UTI or any infection whatsoever nor had there ever been. She really didn't have any better ideas as to what it could be and is sending me to a pain clinic. I've not had much luck in the past with those but I'll try. Today has been a super bad day. Nearly back to the beginning type of pain. It was bad right from the start getting out of bed but I'm sure the car ride, doctor exam, more xrays, long wait in the pharmacy and then the drive home didn't help it any. Nothing is helping at all. Not my new medication or the cream and patches she prescribed. 

Oh, I discovered why I never heard back from my doctor. He is on leave this week. Would it really have been too much for the office to let me know when I left a message?

Did I tell you guys that the ER doctor told me I couldn't use a heating pad for my pain because heat spreads infection? When I asked today's doctor if I could start using it again, she was shocked that I had been told to quit. All this time I could have had at least some heat to help soothe the beast. Ugh!

All I want to do is go to bed and be done with today. On the other hand, getting in and out of bed is sheer torture which is the only reason I haven't given in so far.

  • Sad 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm confused.  Had there been a urinalysis and culture done in the ER?  But you were given false results?  What was the mass seen on the x-rays? 

I would push for a neurologist.  Pain clinics tend to push pain meds (in my experience). 

We're feeling pretty confused too. They did do a urine test while I was in the ER but today's doctor said that it did not grow a UTI culture. Looking back I didn't phrase the constipation question correctly. I think I asked her, "So constipation and a UTI are not what's causing my pain?" I think our jaws were on the floor and our brains were overwhelmed trying to process this new information and figuring out what it all meant. I think I'm going to schedule an appointment with my regular doctor for next week. I need better answers and solutions. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they rule out an ovarian cyst? Those can be excruciating but once burst may be hard to detect. 
 

ETA I believe a twisted Fallopian tube is also a thing? No experience with that, I just remember reading about it. 

Edited by Seasider too
Link to post
Share on other sites

They have you on CIPRO and there's no infection????  

What the heck?  

No kidney infection?  No constipation?  

Cipro is nasty, nasty stuff.  To give that when there's no infection, imo, is an opening for a malpractice suit.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, Dr Hive needs to get on this. Our crowd-sourcing means we can put a lot of ideas out there for you to ask questions about when you get into your doctor.

I'd either change the title of this thread & update the first post or start a new one. If you change the title, put your update at the top & ask for help with possibilities for what it might actually be plus questions to ask or tests to be done.

Seasider had a couple of ideas. I'm sure there will be others. I want you to get this figured out & fixed and so does the rest of the Hive. Many hugs & prayers for you getting some rest tonight.

Eta: Is the pain in both legs when it radiates down from your lower back or mainly one? Is it worse when you move or better? Or does it vary? Certain positions make it not as bad?

Edited by RootAnn
Added questions
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they do an MRI? Possibilities that seem possible to me are spinal compression due to herniated disc or even possible tumor creating pressure on the spine.

Nerve pain and numbness don’t come from nowhere. This is a five-alarm fire. Try an orthopedic specialist or a neurologist.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...