Menu

1 hour ago, rainbird2 said:

Would it be possible to take one class with Stanford OHS so your ds would have access to the clubs and summer program at Stanford? 

Yes, but we would still need to go through the grueling application. And lose another year in the process.  At this point I think it makes more sense for us to graduate him a year earlier (with it without his consent). 

Hi Rainbird,

Congrats on your high schooler's admission. My understanding is that it was an extremely competitive year for high school, so you and your kiddo should be very very proud! My son, Sacha, was admitted to their middle school program on Friday. He will be entering 7th grade in the fall. We are also in CA. Our issue is that my son has no desire to graduate from high school early and it would have been impossible for him to stay enrolled in a charter without getting into SOHS. He just wouldn't have any classes to take in high school without the advanced math and science coursework at SOHS. I don't know of any other school like it in the nation. Plus, he was really attracted to the community, the clubs, the caliber of teaching and mentoring, and the summer labs that he could take on campus.  

So, his current plan is to take math, science, and some computer science primarily at SOHS (once he completes through Calculus BC at AoPS), and to complete dual associates in Aviation and Humanities through community college while in high school to knock out a-g and IGETC (leaving open the possibility of applying either as a freshman or transfer applicant to UCs). We are currently on the financial aid waitlist, so we still need quite a bit of financial aid to make this happen.

He was accepted with full admission, so if he enjoys SOHS, he also has the possibility to decide to go there FT instead of taking community college courses, but I think he would find a full courseload of SOHS classes to be extremely challenging for him. He has ADHD and his EF issues are slower to develop. He took a composition class this year with the Davidson Academy Online Explore (which is their "middle school" level of classes) and found it to be very rigorous (I thought it was an amazing course, but I am a humanities girl -- my STEM kid was not thrilled with having to write so much). I think my son would find SOHS classes in the humanities and social sciences to be at least as demanding as those at DAO (talking to people whose kids have taken classes at both schools, I am told that SOHS has more homework), which is why I think he might be better off playing to his strengths in STEM at SOHS and taking the humanities/social sciences in a less intense environment while in high school. But, we will see what he ends up wanting to do.

I am not sure if any of that is helpful since we don't have any first-hand experience yet, but congrats again! ❤️   

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rainbird2 said:

Oops!!  I made a mistake there...typing while children are screaming at me.  My apologies!  😊

What do you teach at AoPS?  I have other kids who will be taking classes in the future.  Do you know anything about how math is taught at Stanford OHS?  My ds said he's reluctant to stop his classes at AoPS...he loves the program.  He made it to state level MathCounts Competition last year, but it was cancelled because of Covid.  He's still really upset about that.  He said AoPS adequately prepared him for the competition!

I'm hoping Stanford OHS can help him prepare for future math competitions because he is hooked and wants to continue.  We'll look for a math club.  I think he will continue with math contest prep at AoPS while attending Stanford OHS.

Now we want to know who you are!!  😁

I'm honored you would confuse me with NaN, but no I don't teach at AoPS.  

OHS was allowed to participate in MathCounts this year and they had one student who qualified for State, but it's a competitive chapter, so to qualify you could only miss at most 2 questions on the Sprint and 2 questions on the Target.  Students who missed 3 or more Sprint Round questions did not qualify.  

I may be able to put you  in touch with an OHS parent who had his 2 kids participate in MathCounts.  There is something weird about OHS and MathCounts before pandemic, but I'm not sure on the details.  I don't think those full time students were allowed to participate, probably because they are scattered through the US, and MC is geographically oriented.  (I could be wrong, my kids were in high school by then.)  So if you are keen to be full time and participate in MC you'll want to ask about that.  Though frankly, I don't know if anyone knows how MathCounts will handle things after this year.  You may also want to ask MC what is the deal with OHS.    

Checking the original post, you know that in high school you age out of MC; it's a middle school competition.  Sorry, if the above was  not relevant.  The good news is if he likes MC he can continue the party by joining an ARML  team.  Vegas, baby!  Also there's AMC.  No trips to Vegas, but still good fun.    

My dd did not take any math classes at OHS, so I'm afraid I can't help you except anecdotally.  DM me if you want to connect with my OHS parent friend, also formerly homeschooled before enrolling.  I can't remember if they were FT or if they decided to continue with AoPS.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rainbird2 said:

Daijobu, would you mind sharing your student's experiences?  What did your student like?  Dislike?

We pretty much loved everything about OHS, but my student was not full time and she did not graduate.  Because yikes.  And my student wanted to apply to competitive colleges.  Her senior year, there were 2 full time students admitted to Stanford and they were both athletes.  And my dd (not an athlete and not FT).  

So if you want a very challenging high school curriculum, and make connections to high quality students all over the US and world, this is the place.  For us it was a no brainer as it's practically in our backyard, so we could attend all the in person events easily.  (We hosted a student who flew in from Korea to attend.)  The parents are terrific, smart and nice.  The classes are top notch.  DO NOT MISS AP BIOLOGY at OHS.  You won't find a comparable AP bio class for homeschoolers online.  DM me if you have more questions and we can chat.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, daijobu said:

We pretty much loved everything about OHS, but my student was not full time and she did not graduate.  Because yikes.  And my student wanted to apply to competitive colleges.  Her senior year, there were 2 full time students admitted to Stanford and they were both athletes.  And my dd (not an athlete and not FT).  

So if you want a very challenging high school curriculum, and make connections to high quality students all over the US and world, this is the place.  For us it was a no brainer as it's practically in our backyard, so we could attend all the in person events easily.  (We hosted a student who flew in from Korea to attend.)  The parents are terrific, smart and nice.  The classes are top notch.  DO NOT MISS AP BIOLOGY at OHS.  You won't find a comparable AP bio class for homeschoolers online.  DM me if you have more questions and we can chat.  

I remember your rec for AP Bio, and it has been in the back of my mind. Do you know how SOHS AP Chem and Physics C compare to PA HS, since those two APs get such good reviews? 

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I remember your rec for AP Bio, and it has been in the back of my mind. Do you know how SOHS AP Chem and Physics C compare to PA HS, since those two APs get such good reviews? 

She didn't take either of these courses at OHS.  I think she regrets not taking physics at OHS, but she otherwise got a 5 from PAH.  I don't think she regrets taking AP chem from Mr. Moskaluk, and I can't imagine any class being better than his.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Would this be the same as their Pre-collegiate Studies program? 

Yes. The price tag was a lot lower than OHS and we didn’t need the credits since our intention was to continue with math at community college on campus. DS16 badly wanted a classroom environment if possible. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Yes. The price tag was a lot lower than OHS and we didn’t need the credits since our intention was to continue with math at community college on campus. DS16 badly wanted a classroom environment if possible. 

Thanks. My son has taken precollegiate classes at Stanford before and I am familiar with them. I did not realize that there is a price difference between OHS and the Continuing Studies program.

9 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Thanks. My son has taken precollegiate classes at Stanford before and I am familiar with them. I did not realize that there is a price difference between OHS and the Continuing Studies program.

How were they? 

32 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

How were they? 

They are great. We did them pre-covid, so they were live on campus. The faculty were all very patient, very qualified (obviously). Now, they have gone  online due to the pandemic and may be accessible to everyone due to that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Farrar, I have never heard of One Schoolhouse. Can you give a review of these courses?

Pricey, used by ritzy private schools to supplement, but you can also enroll as an individual. The set up is a bit more like PAH's asynchronous courses in that there may be interaction between the students, but it's much more like something like UC Scout in that the primary interaction is between the teacher and the student. Apparently they do require student-teacher meetings as part of the course, they're just not part of a class set time. I've heard they're good, but I can't give specific reviews on any particular teachers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, daijobu said:

I don't think she regrets taking AP chem from Mr. Moskaluk, and I can't imagine any class being better than his.  

Very glad to hear this, as I just registered DS15 for this class next fall.  He is giving me pushback because he loathes online classes and wants to know why we can't just DIY this one (as we have with AP Physics this year).  Neither DH nor I are up to supervising AP Chem, though, and this particular class has gotten such consistently good reviews over the years. 

@JennyD Like all course recommendations, take mine with a grain of salt.  Dd is 100% comfortable and prefers guided self-study.  She also has excellent EF, and has no problems asking questions on public message boards (in front of the whole class) when she doesn't understand something.  (It almost became a competition between her and another high achieving student to see who could work through the problems and poke holes in the logic.)  

If your student (i) does not like studying from textbooks, (ii) has poor EF, or (iii) won't reach out for help online, then this is unlikely to be a successful course.  

50 minutes ago, daijobu said:

@JennyD Like all course recommendations, take mine with a grain of salt.  Dd is 100% comfortable and prefers guided self-study.  She also has excellent EF, and has no problems asking questions on public message boards (in front of the whole class) when she doesn't understand something.  (It almost became a competition between her and another high achieving student to see who could work through the problems and poke holes in the logic.)  

If your student (i) does not like studying from textbooks, (ii) has poor EF, or (iii) won't reach out for help online, then this is unlikely to be a successful course.  

Thanks for the heads-up -- I'm not at all worried about DS doing well in the course.  He is very comfortable with self-study; in fact, he is arguing that we should just get him a textbook and a lab kit and let him work through the material on his own.  However, this is one of the few high school classes that DH and I would prefer to completely outsource, so it's nice that there's what seems to be a good option.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:31 AM, SeaConquest said:

Hi Rainbird,

Congrats on your high schooler's admission. My understanding is that it was an extremely competitive year for high school, so you and your kiddo should be very very proud! My son, Sacha, was admitted to their middle school program on Friday. He will be entering 7th grade in the fall. We are also in CA. Our issue is that my son has no desire to graduate from high school early and it would have been impossible for him to stay enrolled in a charter without getting into SOHS. He just wouldn't have any classes to take in high school without the advanced math and science coursework at SOHS. I don't know of any other school like it in the nation. Plus, he was really attracted to the community, the clubs, the caliber of teaching and mentoring, and the summer labs that he could take on campus.  

So, his current plan is to take math, science, and some computer science primarily at SOHS (once he completes through Calculus BC at AoPS), and to complete dual associates in Aviation and Humanities through community college while in high school to knock out a-g and IGETC (leaving open the possibility of applying either as a freshman or transfer applicant to UCs). We are currently on the financial aid waitlist, so we still need quite a bit of financial aid to make this happen.

He was accepted with full admission, so if he enjoys SOHS, he also has the possibility to decide to go there FT instead of taking community college courses, but I think he would find a full courseload of SOHS classes to be extremely challenging for him. He has ADHD and his EF issues are slower to develop. He took a composition class this year with the Davidson Academy Online Explore (which is their "middle school" level of classes) and found it to be very rigorous (I thought it was an amazing course, but I am a humanities girl -- my STEM kid was not thrilled with having to write so much). I think my son would find SOHS classes in the humanities and social sciences to be at least as demanding as those at DAO (talking to people whose kids have taken classes at both schools, I am told that SOHS has more homework), which is why I think he might be better off playing to his strengths in STEM at SOHS and taking the humanities/social sciences in a less intense environment while in high school. But, we will see what he ends up wanting to do.

I am not sure if any of that is helpful since we don't have any first-hand experience yet, but congrats again! ❤️   

Congrats to you, too SeaConquest!!  It sounds like you have quite the precocious child on your hands.  Your STEM focus at SOHS and humanities/social sciences elsewhere sounds like a good balance.  Good luck to you!!

I've been gone for the past few days, but I want to come back and thank everyone for the replies. 😊  I'm feeling more confident in our decision to continue with SOHS for high schooler's education. 

Thanks again!!

• Like 1