Menu

Walkers: upright vs. traditional rollator vs.?

PeterPan

Need the scoop here. Turns out the assisted living has dorked around for two weeks (that's a vent) trying to get the VA to cover a potsy $200 walker. I don't care if it costs $1k, he has plenty of money for it. What do I buy? Oh, and he's 6'4". They're going to send me a link, but I just can't believe I let this go and they let it go. Well I did hit my head sledding, sigh. But still. 

So this upright thing I'm seeing on amazon and you stand IN it vs. BEHIND. Is that actually better? Are there studies on this? Two months ago he could walk and the vaccines inflamed his preexisting condition. So they want him up walking and he has strong potential to resume walking and go a significant amount with proper equipment. He's 70 and otherwise fine. 

Are there other features/upgrades I should look for? I'm seeing something that converts to a lite chair, which could be nice but I'm not sure it's very practical for someone his size, lol. So he's looking at things like rolling onto a handicapped public transportation (with lift ramp) and going to a restaurant. Or zip zooming around the AL where he lives. He likes to do laps, take the elevator, go to activities. I'm not sure trail walking is essential for this, lol. One thing at a time. But upgraded enough to let him go quite a bit could be really good. Like I'm seeing units with bigger wheels in the front.

They really want him up and walking. Is the stuff on amazon ok? They said they'd send me a link. But if there's something better, I'll make that happen, kwim?

Sigh. It never ends. But I guess looking for a spiffed walker is better than a spiffed wheelchair.

In my experience with olders, it is nice to both a rollator and a walker.

For going out on extended outings--particularly over rough ground--the rollator is a far preferable option. Safer and having a seat if they get tuckered is a plus.

But rollators are heavy and somewhat cumbersome for indoor use. Most seniors I've known who don't "need" a rollator will go for a walker when getting about indoors if they have the option.

Bill

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

But rollators are heavy and somewhat cumbersome for indoor use. Most seniors I've known who don't "need" a rollator will go for a walker when getting about indoors if they have the option.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. Well on the plus side, his AL apartment is meant for this, so it has wide walkways, super smooth/even flooring, everything he needs. And he's a pretty big man, big enough that I think it will look like a toothpick even in rollator, lol. 

Well heart attack #1 is over, because he called me back and agreed to try it. Says he just wants a seat. 

I think I'm going to try researching medical stuff providers. The AL is going to give me a recommend and I'll see what else I find and take a plunge. 

This should be good! He's been so down, thinking he won't walk again, but I think the AL is right that the right walker is the path to walking again. He's going to lose strength just sitting, so he has to be up. 

• Like 1

Be sure an OT hasn't ruled out a specific kind of walker due to safety issues before you decide. Some people aren't stable enough for some kinds of walkers. It doesn't sound like the case with your dad, but I wanted to note that just in case.

I think having one high enough for comfort would be key--my dad is the same height, and many things aren't made for tall people. If he has to stoop too much, you might be creating a posture issue. If he has long stride or large feet, you might want to be sure that when he's standing at a comfortable height, he won't be kicking the wheels or other structures when he walks. He needs a walker, not a tripping hazard. 🙂 

My grandmother loves her rolling one with a seat. If she is walking short distances, she's also okay with a cane, an arm, or a shopping cart. But the rolling one lets her walk as much as she can, which means trips to the store on foot in good weather and other things that keep her happy and independent. It's also great for outings--if she came to visit us, it would allow her to do museums and things like that.

One of her canes is sort of like a walking stick, but it has a wide base. I am not sure how it worked out for her, but you grip it significantly higher than you do a cane; she was very worried about becoming stooped from using a cane as she is slowly getting stooped over as it is (she's in her late 80s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I paid 75 on Amazon for a taller walker/seat when DH had his knee replaced.  Most were too short for him but this one was fine height wise.  

Harbor Freight has had rollators as well. It's been a couple of years since I've been to one, but the price was good. I think around $50. I don't know about height for those either.

• Thanks 1

I had purchased a walker for my mom at a local medical supply store. They were adjustable for height. She had one with a seat and there was basket storage under the seat cushion which I thought would be great for tissues or snacks if she decided to sit outside. Later, I realized that because of the weakness in mom’s hands from her stroke that she really wasn’t able to control the brakes and would end up hunched over and I was afraid the walker would roll away from her, so she switched back to a cane. Recently, her PT said she needed a walker with slides so she didn’t have to worry about brakes and falling. All that to say, who knew there were so many options? I would suggest asking his PT which one they would suggest and if there is insurance, the medical supply store can submit the paperwork for it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mona said:

I had purchased a walker for my mom at a local medical supply store. They were adjustable for height. She had one with a seat and there was basket storage under the seat cushion which I thought would be great for tissues or snacks if she decided to sit outside. Later, I realized that because of the weakness in mom’s hands from her stroke that she really wasn’t able to control the brakes and would end up hunched over and I was afraid the walker would roll away from her, so she switched back to a cane. Recently, her PT said she needed a walker with slides so she didn’t have to worry about brakes and falling. All that to say, who knew there were so many options? I would suggest asking his PT which one they would suggest and if there is insurance, the medical supply store can submit the paperwork for it. 

PeterPan, in addition to what Mona says, if your dad is sort of "between" styles of walkers, that status might be a way to get him into PT or OT, depending on what he would need to be stable for the more independent option. If he needs upper body work that he's capable of doing, for instance, then I would advocate for that to happen. 

• Like 1

the seat things are for those who can't walk a distance without the need to sit down.   all types of walkers should be height adjustable.

is he doing PT?   does he have a place for walking?   the malls around here open early for people to walk.  

even a treadmill could be helpful for walking as they generally have big arms for support.  (and just when I was getting ready to ask 2ds if he was ready to get rid of his treadmill yet, he started using it again.  but I digress.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

the seat things are for those who can't walk a distance without the need to sit down.   all types of walkers should be height adjustable.

is he doing PT?   does he have a place for walking?   the malls around here open early for people to walk.  

even a treadmill could be helpful for walking as they generally have big arms for support.  (and just when I was getting ready to ask 2ds if he was ready to get rid of his treadmill yet, he started using it again.  but I digress.)

Although walkers are adjustable, I think a 6' 4" man is likely going to require a special model. In my experience as one extends a walker/rollators to make them "taller" they also feel more wobbly at the extreme end. And having to hunch over because the walker is too short isn't ideal.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mona said:

I would suggest asking his PT which one they would suggest

Yup, that must be what they're tracking down. Meanwhile, I ordered something from amazon simply because it's going to take almost a week to get there anyway. If they get me something in the meantime, I'll cancel and buy that instead. Ok, they got back to me and they're in slow mo, wanting to wait on a link to buy until they try one on him (loaner/trial) on Monday. But I've got this Ferrari https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSDBV18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  arriving Thursday, hehe...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kbutton said:

PeterPan, in addition to what Mona says, if your dad is sort of "between" styles of walkers, that status might be a way to get him into PT or OT, depending on what he would need to be stable for the more independent option. If he needs upper body work that he's capable of doing, for instance, then I would advocate for that to happen. 

Oh absolutely! He's getting it all, PT, OT, pain clinic, nurse practitioners to pinch, everything. :biggrin:

He kinda gave me a heart attack because he seemed to be down on it. But I'm with you that it's a way to get him stronger and back on track. He thought about it a bit and called me back agreeing to try it and actually sounding encouraged. I wish I could get it there sooner, but this will have to do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Although walkers are adjustable, I think a 6' 4" man is likely going to require a special model. In my experience as one extends a walker/rollators to make them "taller" they also feel more wobbly at the extreme end. And having to hunch over because the walker is too short isn't ideal.

Bill

Yup, that's what I'm reading. And I think the walk "in" vs. "behind" doesn't go tall enough. I went through all the listings for a local medical supply in that city and even the $400 wouldn't go tall enough. And I read a site saying what you're saying, that they get wobbly if they're not designed for it and you do the sky scraper addition, lol.

So deep breath and we'll hope for the best! It was nice to hear him perk up after he thought about it. He's had a lot happen lately and it got really low. But the PT will teach him how to use it and then his swank one will come and then we can take him out to eat. That should perk him up a lot. And with this unit, it folds, so he could even ride in our vehicle, which would be nice. It means he could go visit relatives. One thing at a time, lol. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

there are  'heavy-duty' versions

just doing a quick (very quick) search turned up these two: both for users >6' 2" tall.

Tall Rollator - Walkabout Allura Rollator Walker | Lumex LX5000LX (phc-online.com)

Futura Tall Four Wheel Walker | Extra Tall Rollator (phc-online.com)

I'm sure more are out there.  even 'standard walker's come in versions for very tall.   they do require the whole thing be picked up to step forward.  (why so many put tennis balls on the front feet so they can just slide them along.)

having a pouch/seat could be handy since it's kinda hard to carry stuff when using a walker.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yup, that must be what they're tracking down. Meanwhile, I ordered something from amazon simply because it's going to take almost a week to get there anyway. If they get me something in the meantime, I'll cancel and buy that instead. Ok, they got back to me and they're in slow mo, wanting to wait on a link to buy until they try one on him (loaner/trial) on Monday. But I've got this Ferrari https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSDBV18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  arriving Thursday, hehe...

That looks pretty cool. Sleeker and less bulky than standard rollators and having a "tall" option is awesome.

Now for some LED lighting. LOL.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

even a treadmill

He lives in assisted living and they said they're going to order more equipment and set up a gym, hehe. I don't know if they'll have a treadmill, but what a good point! Before the covid vaccines and his back flaring up and leaving him in a wheelchair, he walked regularly and biked on their exercise/recumbent bike. 

14 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

is he doing PT?   does he have a place for walking? 

Yup! He lives in a pleasant apartment style building that is highly social, with lots of activities, shared dining, happy hour, you name it. They have shared leisure areas on each floor with Wii, tables for cards and puzzles, a lounge with musical instruments, etc. So he's very motivated to be up if he can be. We were just slow on making the equipment happen, but I suspect the timing is right in that the covid vaccine inflammation is clearly going down and putting him in a place where he can do this. 

Reality is, he was having trouble walking before and walking less. Before he would just fatigue and collapse, which of course is not very good interoception, lol. So he probably needed this no matter what, vaccine or no. We had been discussing how he would negotiate an airport if I helped him travel, and it would have been too much. So wheelchair, walker, something probably had to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

He lives in assisted living and they said they're going to order more equipment and set up a gym, hehe. I don't know if they'll have a treadmill, but what a good point! Before the covid vaccines and his back flaring up and leaving him in a wheelchair, he walked regularly and biked on their exercise/recumbent bike. 

Yup! He lives in a pleasant apartment style building that is highly social, with lots of activities, shared dining, happy hour, you name it. They have shared leisure areas on each floor with Wii, tables for cards and puzzles, a lounge with musical instruments, etc. So he's very motivated to be up if he can be. We were just slow on making the equipment happen, but I suspect the timing is right in that the covid vaccine inflammation is clearly going down and putting him in a place where he can do this. 

Reality is, he was having trouble walking before and walking less. Before he would just fatigue and collapse, which of course is not very good interoception, lol. So he probably needed this no matter what, vaccine or no. We had been discussing how he would negotiate an airport if I helped him travel, and it would have been too much. So wheelchair, walker, something probably had to happen.

would he be willing to do chair yoga?

I'm trying to remember if the places my mom was at even had gyms . . . I can't remember any of them having gyms.  (one place was just a senior living apartment, they didn't offer physical support.)  They'd have someone come in and do "senior" exercise with the residents.  

• Like 1

Just to share my small bit of knowledge.  My dad is using a walker with nice wheels and a seat.  I think it is this one https://medmartonline.com/nova-star-8?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxjNuzARx_c7ROAemtCtCBSf_SzaJA6eYqxpnaaYwYQ5qhvSLl_nw8IaAlRsEALw_wcB .

It was a hassle to convince him to get a walker in the first place and finally I said I wasn't taking him anywhere unless he had a walker.  So...he got one.  He was a fall waiting to happen and I didn't want to be picking him up off of pavement or in the grocery store floor.

He might do better with a taller one at this point, but he can't fold up the small one, much less the taller one and I can just handle the small one myself.  

But...what I wanted to say is my dad leans so hard on his handles.  I'm like use your legs and try not to put so much pressure on your arms.  He doesn't listen or make an effort so his shoulders end up hurting him after awhile.

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

there are  'heavy-duty' versions

just doing a quick (very quick) search turned up these two: both for users >6' 2" tall.

Tall Rollator - Walkabout Allura Rollator Walker | Lumex LX5000LX (phc-online.com)

Futura Tall Four Wheel Walker | Extra Tall Rollator (phc-online.com)

I'm sure more are out there.  even 'standard walker's come in versions for very tall.   they do require the whole thing be picked up to step forward.  (why so many put tennis balls on the front feet so they can just slide them along.)

having a pouch/seat could be handy since it's kinda hard to carry stuff when using a walker.

Ok, so that first one, the Lumex Allura LX, is what I ordered. I had missed the Dolomite Futura, and you're right that basket on the front is awesome! The unit does not fold for travel. Amazon does have it. I sent the link to his AL people to see what they think. It's very snazzy and upright.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

would he be willing to do chair yoga?

I'm trying to remember if the places my mom was at even had gyms . . . I can't remember any of them having gyms.  (one place was just a senior living apartment, they didn't offer physical support.)  They'd have someone come in and do "senior" exercise with the residents.  

Oh yeah, they have chair yoga, all kinds of stuff there. Haha, it won't be a full gym. They just have lines of people waiting for the bikes, so they wanted to order more kinds of equipment. Shows the perky level of the residents, lol. Remember, ALs are hard hit right now, with many running at 60% capacity. So if they can invest and differentiate or appeal to more people, they're going to. Right now anything I ask for I get, lol, because they're very concerned about making people happy and not taking anyone for granted.

• Like 2

@PeterPan if your dad is stuck sitting in a wheelchair a lot of the time and he has the resources consider getting a high-end Roho inflatable seat cushion. These save people (and big people especially) from developing bed sores (which can be deadly). They can also be used on flat chair bottoms. 

Bill

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

finally I said I wasn't taking him anywhere unless he had a walker. 

So does that go well when you take him places? If he uses the wheelchair, he would need public transportation. Or maybe I could fold that? Oh my. But the walker I ordered folds, like you're saying. I've told him to pick a restaurant, that we're going to go party now that his vaccines have kicked in. 

5 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

what I wanted to say is my dad leans so hard on his handles.  I'm like use your legs and try not to put so much pressure on your arms.  He doesn't listen or make an effort so his shoulders end up hurting him after awhile.

Oh my. Makes sense. We'll see if the PT can teach him enough to stay safe using it.

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Roho inflatable seat cushion.

Ok, I'll go look it up. The OT said she had just gotten something requested, but I think it was a run of the mill "cushion". Of course at almost 300 pounds, that would take a miracle inflatable, lol.

Edited by PeterPan

40 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Do you use one of these yourself? Could I put it on my current desk chair? I have a Purple cushion and it's not quite (ahem) enough.

Me? No. We had a guardian angel who helped us when my father began to grow frail towards the end of his life. He developed a small bed sore on his bottom--which freaked me out when I became aware just what a threat such wounds can be. Athough the would was not advanced, his doctors sounded grave. So I bought a top of the line inflatable Roho for his chair. And the sore healed. 

In her last year my mother came to live with my family and we experienced a similar issue, so I broke out the Roho (which again saved the day). I now have it out on loan to elderly friends.

It is hard to express how much gratitude I feel towards an inflatable rubber cushion--which sound weird to say--but I get choked up when I consider how critical this cushion was for helping protect both of my parents. They are not cheap, but priceless AFAIC.

Not sure how perfectly they would fit on a desk chair that had a highly concave shape. They are inflatable rubber, sectioned into baffles, so I expect they'd adjust. Just not certain. I did use in on my mom's rather flat desk chair with no issues. I would move the cushion around if she was going to me relocated in a chair for a significant period. They are a serious upgrade from a foam cushion. 

Roho has several options. The one we purchased is the ROHO Quadtro Select High Profile. Great for a huge man. A less thick model might suffice for a small woman, I don't know. I think the Quadtro High model runs about $375. Not cheap. But...

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I'll go look it up. The OT said she had just gotten something requested, but I think it was a run of the mill "cushion". Of course at almost 300 pounds, that would take a miracle inflatable, lol.

Just to add, my dad (who was not huge, half your dad's weight) developed the sore when using a run of the mill cushion. I was mistaken to think what came "standard" would be adequate. Who knew?

I am confident that the Roho could accommodate a 300 pounder. One would need to play around with the proper inflation level (and periodically check it), but these things are made of sturdy/thick rubber and purpose built for the job.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

ROHO Quadtro Select High Profile.

Ok, I'm going to go look. I found the Contour listed well so I'll figure it out. They may be pretty similar as the pricepoints are the same. It looked a little complicated to set up, so I think I may need to do it in person. And yes, it's saying good to 500 pounds, hehe.

I may order one, try it myself, then take it to him and buy for myself, haha. Source of all my back problems, besides carrying ds up the stairs when he weighed 75 pounds, is sitting in this stupid hard chair. My own fault.

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Not for anyone 6 ft and above.  They were kind of on the short side. 

Yup, and I heard back and the OT liked my choice. So that's one thing at least I've done right! :smile:  I sent her the link to the two kinds of Roho cushions (Countour and Profile) because then I need sizes. For all I know he's got some funky huge wheelchair, being a big man. So once she gets me that, I can get that ordered. 

Thanks ladies and gent!! I appreciate it and my dad's fanny and legs do too!! :biggrin:

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

Be sure an OT hasn't ruled out a specific kind of walker due to safety issues before you decide. Some people aren't stable enough for some kinds of walkers.

The PT is going to work with him and handle everything. They come right to where he lives several days a week. One of the perks of needing there, sigh. When you need the ramped up service, they have it. 

• Like 1

@PeterPan You are not going to believe this, but I was just out puttering in my front-yard garden (a glorious day here in Los Angeles) when two old ladies strolled by, one of whom was using the very same rollator that you ordered, only in the smaller version.

Naturally, I accosted them immediately. After intensive questioning, I walked away with very positive reviews. They didn't seem to think it was an odd conversation.  

In any case, both the OT and the old ladies from the neighborhood are validating your choice.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1