Menu

Dumb question about Keurig coffee maker

We’ve never had one. A friend has one that ended up being an unwanted Christmas gift, and he wants to give it to us. I keep a jar of instant and dh uses that very rarely. Dh called to ask if I wanted him to bring it home. I really was thinking he shouldn’t, but we both just sort of were like,  I dunno....do you want it? So he said he’d just bring it home. I guess we could find someone that would really like it. 

But my dumb question is...could it be used to make tea? I mostly drink herbal tea. It’s no trouble to pop a mug of water in the microwave. And I have a tea kettle for boiling water. Is there any reason I should keep it? 

Just thought I would ask. If not, I’ll find someone who would like to have it. I have a friend that would probably like it.

• Like 1

We tried Keurig a few years ago. We didn’t like it. I like the coffee I like. Same type all the time. I could see maybe a family having one if 1) either someone liked to try various coffees, or 2) if different people in the household  liked different coffees. It just didn’t deserve to take up my counter space since dh and I drink the same coffee. It’s better for a work or business situation, imo, but others will probably disagree. 

Yes, I believe you can do hot tea and apple cider etc but like you said, a tea kettle is pretty easy 

• Like 1

We use ours to make the hot water and then add a tea bag to the cup. Is that what you're asking?

We also have used it to run hot water through and then toss in a hot chocolate packet.

If you are the least bit interested in trying different coffee flavors (I think they also make tea pods, but don't hold me to that!), then take it and have a bit of fun with it before giving it away.

I do suggest that you give it several runs with just water or a water & vinegar mix to make sure any coffee grounds left behind on the needle/poker thingy are cleared out. I do that with ours occasionally and it takes a few cups/cycles to get the water clear in the cup. The first time we made tea, we got a bit of coffee in there and ick. LOL.

• Like 2

We like it because DH and I like totally different coffee, so no making a pot of coffee. And neither of us drink instant. 

But the main reason we got our first one was that I had a newborn and I could make a cup of coffee with one hand, nevr having to set the baby down. Got used to that, lol. 

I could and sometimes do make french press, but I'm lazy. No mess, no washing out grounds, no setting a timer for the right number of minutes, no measuring the water, etc. I also love and use my Nespresso. 

As for coffees, most coffee that comes ground comes in k cups now. I'm a Peets girl, usually Major Dickason. nice and dark. But I do like Morning Joe from starbucks and that only comes in ground so if I use that I use the little filter basket you can get, that lets you make your own k-cup basically. You could use that for herbal tea maybe?

• Like 2

So you don’t drink coffee at all?   If your DH just likes an occasional cup, it is likely to be a step up from instant.  I think the keurigs generally make a pretty mediocre cup of coffee and I really hate the waste generated by the pods. But for infrequent users that won’t use a bag of coffee In a reasonable length of time and aren’t super picky it can be a good choice.  Like my FIL who lives alone has one.  He has a few cups a week.  You can get tea pods or cider or hot chocolate.  But again, easy to get less expensive higher quality hot beverages. IMO.  You can use it to produce a cup of hot water for tea.   

• Like 1

Yes, you can either press the button without a pod for hot water, or you can buy pods with things like chai tea, already sweetened. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are both coffee and tea affecinados. We have a Keurig combination machine, both carafe and pod. We mostly use a French press but during the pandemic needs must.

We do not use it for tea. The way I was taught is tea leaves should be boiled in milk with spices, ginger. No one got time for that when you make it multiple times a day. So electric kettle it is with tea balls. We are as you can tell a bit finicky about our beverages.

I think a good electric kettle is handy generally though because it is so much easy to boil water in an instant.

Edited by Dreamergal
  • Like 1

Someone bought a Keurig for our house, don't ask me why.  The only thing we use it for is getting hot water for tea and instant coffee.

Previously, we used a tea kettle.  But to be fair, tea kettles aren't pefect either.  They get nasty on the inside since you can't wash them, so you end up replacing them rather frequently.  So I guess it's 6 to one, a half dozen to the other.

• Like 1

Kitchen counter space is premium. If you have something for hot water already and drink instant, there’s no need to keep it. I do have one. I’m the only one who drinks coffee in this house, and it can make just one cup. I am also considering getting rid of it simply because of waste, inability to clean it thoroughly (internal tubing), and counter space. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, SKL said:

Someone bought a Keurig for our house, don't ask me why.  The only thing we use it for is getting hot water for tea and instant coffee.

Previously, we used a tea kettle.  But to be fair, tea kettles aren't pefect either.  They get nasty on the inside since you can't wash them, so you end up replacing them rather frequently.  So I guess it's 6 to one, a half dozen to the other.

Our kettle sometimes gets some lime scale.  Boiling a little vinegar takes care of it.  Otherwise, I've never had this problem.  We only ever boil water in it (other than the occasional vinegar treatment), so it doesn't get dirty.

(Which leads me to think, do people steep the tea in the kettle?  We use a teapot for that.  ETA and the teapot does get tea stained/residue and needs washing)

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, wathe said:

Our kettle sometimes gets some lime scale.  Boiling a little vinegar takes care of it.  Otherwise, I've never had this problem.  We only ever boil water in it (other than the occasional vinegar treatment), so it doesn't get dirty.

(Which leads me to think, do people steep the tea in the kettle?  We use a teapot for that)

I don't steep tea in the tea kettle.  🙂

I guess if I was less lazy, I could have studied how to clean the crud out of the tea kettle, but the outside often gets battered too, including the bottom which gets worn thin.  So I have generally recycled the kettles once they were overall in bad shape.

I will say, though - the Keurig heats the water faster than a kettle.  So there is that.  Not trying to sell you on it, just being objective.  😛

We've had electric water boilers before also, and while they can heat water pretty fast, they don't tend to last long.

Maybe it's just me abusing my kettles ....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't steep tea in the tea kettle.  🙂

I guess if I was less lazy, I could have studied how to clean the crud out of the tea kettle, but the outside often gets battered too, including the bottom which gets worn thin.  So I have generally recycled the kettles once they were overall in bad shape.

I will say, though - the Keurig heats the water faster than a kettle.  So there is that.  Not trying to sell you on it, just being objective.  😛

We've had electric water boilers before also, and while they can heat water pretty fast, they don't tend to last long.

Maybe it's just me abusing my kettles ....

We had a tea kettle thread here recently, and it became quite clear that there are cultural differences between Americans and Canadians (and others) regarding kettles (including calling it a tea kettle vs just plain kettle).  That thread taught me to assume nothing...... 🙂

Edited by wathe
  • Haha 1

If you're only thinking of keeping it to heat water for tea, I wouldn't bother.  It takes up room on the counter and there are other simple ways of heating water for tea (stovetop, microwave).  If for some reason you think it's easier/safer for your kids to use though, then maybe?  

Or, if you'd like to offer a cup of coffee to a guest (something I would appreciate! :)) and otherwise don't make coffee and don't own a coffeepot, then it might be worth keeping.

We have a Keurig (and multiple other types of coffee makers!) and I've found brands that taste quite good.  And we're picky!

Yes - I use tea K-Cups in our Keurig multiple times a day! My favorite KCup brand is Tazo tea, there are multiple varieties. It can be found at grocery stores, but Amazon has the widest flavor variety. I tend toward the English Breakfast, Early Grey and Spearmint. My husband uses it for coffee - he likes trying different flavors without having to make a commitment to an entire bag of ground coffee. He has used a variety of brands and some of the most unexpected brands are really good as are some of the most unexpected flavor combinations (he has recently discovered a hazelnut & coconut combo).

I also use it to make iced tea - I make one cup of tea and pour it over a glass full ice and it cools down immediately to an iced tea temperature.

There are also hot chocolate K-Cups from Swiss Miss and Starbucks. Motts puts out an apple cider K-Cup.

It takes just a couple of minutes, if that, to make a cup. It is much faster than waiting for a kettle to boil and if you try the coffee K-Cups I think you'll find them much better than the instant.  The most annoying thing is filling the tank - but that only has to be done when it runs out.

If you want to make your own K-Cups it comes with a basket that you can use to put your own loose tea or coffee into - I've never tried that.

I say snap that thing up and give it a try. If you don't like it after a few weeks, then look for someone who would enjoy a slightly used machine. I don't think you'll have to look far.

ETA: Twinings has several teas in KCups - including herbals. Tazo has herbals as well (the spearmint that I like is one of them).

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Ours has a "strong" setting that gets the water hotter.

That isn't true on all Keurigs.  On many models it just makes the brew cycle longer.   The temp is a bit low for an ideal brew for coffee or tea.  

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I’m still on the fence. I’m a cute kettle on the stove kind of person. I also have an adorable borosilicate glass teapot that just holds two cups. I wouldn’t mind a bit passing the Keurig on to someone who really loves k cups and coffees. It is nice to find out you can make tea, though, and more. I didn’t know that. 

Usually I just boil water in my stovetop kettle and steep 2 to 4 cups of herbal tea in a Pyrex measuring cup. I just leave the lid off the kettle until it air dries. Nothing ever builds up on it, and it   doesn’t get stained because the steeping is done in glass. 

Maybe I’ll ask my friend that uses a Keurig. Maybe hers is old and she would like a newer one. 

Edited by Indigo Blue

We have one but DH and I are a several cups a day for coffee of different types. He actually recently phrased to a nespresso and I use it often. 

But for my tea I prefer using boiling water from a kettle. So if I just drank tea I wouldn’t give up the counter space.