Menu

AP Chemistry course relying on video lectures, not textbook reading?

DD is dyslexic and requires video lecture instruction.  She loves Derek Owens - wish he did more courses.  My DS took AP Chem with PAH, but that requires significant textbook reading.  

So far I have:  Khan Academy, Dr. Tang, Bozeman Science, and Thinkwell.  All of these options seem to be weak in actual problem sets, but they may still be useful.

Are there other online AP Chem courses that rely on video instruction (asynchronous or live)?  

It might be worth reaching out to an instructor to ask if there's a way to get an accommodation for this if the element you feel you really need is the live or teacher based instruction. The lecture and textbook should cover essentially the same material. If a student (or perhaps, you with your dd) could align the lectures - from Thinkwell or one of the sets above perhaps - with the reading to supplant it, but then have her do the actual work of the course, then it would seem to me like potentially the best of both worlds.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stripe said:

Thanks so much!  I hadn't heard of any of these!

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

It might be worth reaching out to an instructor to ask if there's a way to get an accommodation for this if the element you feel you really need is the live or teacher based instruction. The lecture and textbook should cover essentially the same material. If a student (or perhaps, you with your dd) could align the lectures - from Thinkwell or one of the sets above perhaps - with the reading to supplant it, but then have her do the actual work of the course, then it would seem to me like potentially the best of both worlds.

Yes, we may need to do something like this if I can't find a course that is based on lectures already.  But I am encouraged by all the video options - doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to find what we need.

Well, there are clearly lecture courses. To me, the key question is whether there's anyone grading, supporting, or giving feedback for any of them. Thinkwell now has a service where you can get support from an actual teacher. Beyond that, I've never heard of another option with a human involved. AP Chem courses are a bit rare. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

Well, there are clearly lecture courses. To me, the key question is whether there's anyone grading, supporting, or giving feedback for any of them. Thinkwell now has a service where you can get support from an actual teacher. Beyond that, I've never heard of another option with a human involved. AP Chem courses are a bit rare. 

Yes, that is ideal.  I may need to dive in and do that work, which I'd really rather not.

4 hours ago, stripe said:

I’ve just found an online provider that claims to be aimed at dyslexic students (ETA ? on rereading I am not entirely sure) and does offer AP chemistry

https://www.eachieve.com/k-12-courses/high-school-courses/online-science/ap-chemistry/

Sadly, their classes are currently only available for students living in Wisconsin (according to the woman at the help live chat).

• Confused 1