Menu

Have you heard of the song "Total Eclipse of the Heart?"

Terabith

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I do. One thing I have noticed, though, is that there is much less a common body of songs for contemporary kids, with the exception of pieces from really popular movies and Hamilton.  I remember a kid party years back where my tween was the one person under the age of 35 who knew all the words of "Eye of the Tiger"-which was amazing to me, because we're in Memphis-that's one of the unofficial fight songs for the UM football team, for crying out loud (I think my kid knew it due to sharing a gym with the UM cheer and dance teams for practice). 

My kids, several years older than yours, know all the words to "Eye of the Tiger" as well. It was about the only thing they liked about "Rocky" ("Did they not have consent when y'all were growing up?") and I think it got a lot of play on one of our Wii games. 

Everyone who works out should know this song. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, katilac said:

My kids, several years older than yours, know all the words to "Eye of the Tiger" as well.

My favorite version of Eye of the Tiger: Supernatural lip sync. 🙂 [ETA: Video ends at 1:13; just black screen after.]

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, MercyA said:

My favorite version of Eye of the Tiger: Supernatural lip sync. 🙂 

omg, I haven't even watched yet and I'm grinning like a fool! 

Edited to add: I know I watched that season, but I definitely don't remember this, lol. We may have switched away before it played at the end of the episode. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MercyA said:

My favorite version of Eye of the Tiger: Supernatural lip sync. 🙂 

Thanks for that!  Happiest moment of the day here.  (It’s been a crummy day, the bar was low but this blew it out of the water!)

Now I’m also fascinated by Total Eclipse of the Heart being about vampires... whaaaa?  Ok...  cool.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, katilac said:

omg, I haven't even watched yet and I'm grinning like a fool! 

Edited to add: I know I watched that season, but I definitely don't remember this, lol. We may have switched away before it played at the end of the episode. 

I think it may have only been on the Special Features / Extras part of a DVD.

ETA: Never mind, I noticed the CW logo on the screen--must have been aired! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Junie said:

Yes, I know this song.

Although, to be fair, it might be because I worked data entry one summer during college and they played the radio in the office.   The radio station was "the greatest hits of the 70s, 80s, and 90s".  I called it, "We play the same 100 songs every day, just in a different order."

I know this song, but I was just graduating from college.  And I can still belt it out just as badly now as I did then. :tongue:

3 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I do. One thing I have noticed, though, is that there is much less a common body of songs for contemporary kids, with the exception of pieces from really popular movies and Hamilton.  I remember a kid party years back where my tween was the one person under the age of 35 who knew all the words of "Eye of the Tiger"-which was amazing to me, because we're in Memphis-that's one of the unofficial fight songs for the UM football team, for crying out loud (I think my kid knew it due to sharing a gym with the UM cheer and dance teams for practice). 

Streaming generation vs the radio generation.

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I think it may have only been on the Special Features / Extras part of a DVD.

ETA: Never mind, I noticed the CW logo on the screen--must have been aired! 

So, how is Supernatural?  I've wondered if it's worth watching.

I asked my 14yo daughters if they knew it, and they said yes.  I told them to hum the music just to prove it to me, and they did.

I am not a fan of that singer, I just listen to a couple radio stations (in the car) that play pop music from my whole lifetime, and that song has been on enough times in recent years for my kids to know it.

Edited by SKL

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Terabith & Supernatural basically seems like destiny. 

The acting is . . . not stellar in the first season. Or, y'know, any season, but it does get better. The more backstory and in-jokes that evolve, the better it gets. Supernatural is king of the running bit! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, katilac said:

Terabith & Supernatural basically seems like destiny. 

The acting is . . . not stellar in the first season. Or, y'know, any season, but it does get better. The more backstory and in-jokes that evolve, the better it gets. Supernatural is king of the running bit! 

Yep.  First season is a bit campy, and then it gets better and better the longer you watch.  I am still in withdrawal now that it’s ended.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Y'all jinxed it! It came on the radio on my way home from picking up takeout. Dh was like, why are you laughing maniacally? I'm like, Well Trained Mind Forum made this song come on!

Spooky algorithms + WTM = this meme showing up on my FB feed just now 😂

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.46.40 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

(I feel blocked whenever I post something that isn't commented on until someone else posts the same thing. 😬)

I especially liked the first five seasons of Supernatural.  It was like a little mini horror movie each episode.  (I can't handle an actual horror movie!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I asked my 14 & 12 yr old and they both know it and can sing quite a bit. It is not a song on any of the adults playlists.  They say it's in quite a few movies.

It doesn't have to be on anyone's playlist. It will be heard regardless. 

• Like 1

Simple, they're just glitches in the matrix. Total eclipse of the heart is downloaded direct into every real human's brain, along with My Sharona. Stay safe OP 🙏

My kids have heard it, and thanks for making my night @Melissa Louise that parody is gold.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

10 hours ago, happi duck said:

I especially liked the first five seasons of Supernatural.  It was like a little mini horror movie each episode.  (I can't handle an actual horror movie!)

What happi duck said! The first five seasons were my favorite as well. I love ghost stories and urban legends and the first few seasons, especially, are full of them. 

Great characters, great humor, very entertaining.

I did have some quibbles in later seasons when characters would occasionally quote what was supposedly Scripture. I'd be like, "Hey! The Bible doesn't say that!" But they also got some things right(ish).

I haven't watched the last couple seasons yet! No spoilers, please! 😉 

Not for young kids due to violent and scary imagery. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kassia said:

I'm 53 and definitely remember the song - it was so popular!  

same, could pick out the video in 2 seconds

18 hours ago, Terabith said:

I found this amazing one from my favorite lockdown family.  

I'm adopting interpretive angst dance into my lingo. 

:wub: Depends. It's like a modern show made for 80s chicks. If you like sometimes campy, hunting of monsters along with touching moments of brotherly love that over the years builds a community with beings you would never think could be family - then maybe it's for you. 

• Like 1

I love it.  I didn't start watching it until it had been on a few years but then binged 6 seasons all at once.  It's on Netflix.   

You definitely can't take it too seriously.   It gets super weird Meta sometimes, and some seasons are definitely better than others but overall it's great.    I have certain episodes I watch when I need a pick-me-up.

Once you get into it, it's also worth watching the outtake videos, tribute videos with clips set to popular songs, and check out tumblr with all the Supernatural has a gif for everything. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 1:13 AM, LMD said:

Simple, they're just glitches in the matrix. Total eclipse of the heart is downloaded direct into every real human's brain, along with My Sharona. Stay safe OP 🙏

My kids have heard it, and thanks for making my night @Melissa Louise that parody is gold.

thanks a lot . . . (that was sarcasm)  I haven't heard that song in a long time, and haven't even thought of it.  now -  . . . it's playing in my head.  quick, I need distraction.

• Haha 1