Menu

Help with 1st grade

millie0312

Hi everyone-

I’m a long time reader of topics, 1st time poster. I could use some input from everyone to hopefully save my sanity as we continue with our homeschool journey! 
background: We had initially considered homeschool, however an opportunity came from my then TK kiddo to join an immersion public school which seemed like a great thing. Enter Covid, some politics at the school we didn’t like, the lack of accommodating our special needs, etc and we decided that we would go back to our initial plan of school at home. I already had MFW K, ETC, AAR, RS to do so even though he was a bit young we started him doing K during his TK year and slowly continued until he’s just about done with parts of it now. I took breaks and let him go at his own pace for some things like reading, although he really seems to be doing well now minus the social aspect since our state is still pretty much closed to everything... we seem to be a CM type approach although we definitely have some classical influence as well and we try to be flexible based on learning needs from DS.

here’s my problem and I know I’m over thinking and over-stressing this but I’m SO confused what to do for 1st grade! The more I look the more I stress and change my mind and it’s driving me nuts!

my initial plan was to continue what we are doing but advance the parts we are finishing up but we end the K portions in just another week or two so then I thought, maybe I should just fill in what we’re finishing and start all new in the fall? We tend to do light work during the summer but our schedule is messy since we started part way through a school year and took some breaks or days/weeks off if we felt burnt out. 
Right now we are doing:

MFW K- only another week left, I like MFW but about 1/2 way through it became way way way too easy and honestly we don’t use their math, science, only some of the language arts, etc. i have considered MFW 1, got the TM but I just don’t love it, I like the idea of the ECC and US history but they seem too old for what we need this year and I still won’t be using their math, science, etc

Language Arts- ETC 1 (just starting after a,b,c), AAR (2/3 of the way through- we took a break and really worked on blends and getting the basics of sounds and reading before we’re moving on), sight words, hand writing (channies and hwot) and of course lots and lots of reading out loud together (he does easy readers and I do small chapter or picture books). We like what we’re using (although ds doesnt always love ETC) so I’m ok continuing and adding AAS but what about grammar, writing or copy work? I feel like there is a piece of this missing as we get older that we will need 

science- we are loving elemental science intro to science. We plan to finish and continue with elemental science classical or possibly Sassafras next (this is one of the only subjects I feel good about)

History- we are currently using 180 days of social studies and geography workbooks which he actually likes a lot, plus Expedition Earth (were only a little in), which I love because it allows him to see other cultures without a ton of extra he’s not old enough for yet, we’re also reading some SOTW 1. I have considered SL A and Biblioplan- I got both TM and I think Biblioplan meets our needs the best although I’m not sure I completely love it. This one is tough- I’m also not sure on what “cycle” will work as we continue 

French- we take live classes with language sprout which we LOVE and also are working on a read aloud book a day, online resources like dinolingo and other game type practice plus play practice for basic words (like I say a word in French and he has to act it out or other ways to practice the words we know but active and fun). This one we can continue as is for now, although I’m always looking for something that is helpful as I’m not exactly fluent.

Math- RS A- we like it, it seems to click for him for the most part, if it’s not broke... we’re 2/3 of the way through. We considered singapore but so far we plan to just keep going with RS as he likes it well enough and it’s working for now

we also have added in morning “writing” that includes calendar in French and English, counting days of school, the weather (at some point I’d like to add a simple sentence for the day like What I like about fall is.... and he copies then adds a final word or two that he creates with help if needed)- those kind of start our morning with a circle time type feel and we do book basket then too, we also add speech help, PE or active time (playing outside is a must! Sometimes I lure him with a “nature study”), Piano with revolutionary piano method although he got the younger kid version and it may be a little too slow for him, and we are cycling through greatest artists, composers, inventors as we can including lap books and art and reading about them to make it fun and exciting, we also do weekly keyboarding without tears, artistic pursuits and real kids cooking class. We also do daily devotions from Long Story Short that we don’t count as Bible but really could be considered Bible.

if the day is too much we slim it down to MFW, language arts and math, if we have extra time we do it all and add in art projects or whatever he is into that day (I let him have free access to art supplies, a sensory bin, stem toys). Although it seems like a full day it really only takes 2-3 hours if he can focus that day and we don’t put a ton of pressure if we don’t get to an extra that day- it happens, some things are just that extra for days we’re home and have time. I have a problem that I have so much I want to show and teach and I tend to over do and over achieve.... 

anyway- long story longer now I need to figure out a longer term plan- what comes next and what my plan is (at least for now) so that his elementary and beyond school works and makes sense, that it has everything he needs, plus some fun stuff he wants- I put a lot of pressure now that he’s actually home that I don’t fail him and that he learns what he needs to be successful. I try to keep in mind the kids are all on Zoom in my state so he’s not behind like that and he’s further then what they are teaching if he was in public school so anything more then that is icing on the cake but I literally can’t sleep some nights worrying what to do all the way through high school- did I mention I’m a worrier? Ha! So what do I actually need to keep him up to par for 1st grade year? What books/curriculum do I use? I’ve looked and it’s just overwhelming now. I need some sane homeschool parents that have been there done that to bring me down- this year I added, changed, took away and it was all fine- it felt good, flexible and once I get next year set I’m sure it’ll be the same but getting there is rough... 

Ideas:

continue what I’m doing, start all 1st grade this fall, what our spine curriculum for history and Bible will be I’m not sure, I’m still looking for a good fit or a good mesh of things to work for us

—or—

start our 1st grade core now and just continue with each subject as we get there

things I’ve looked at:

SL- I think we might use their reading list and questions (I got the TM) but I don’t know if we love their spine of history and the rest

MFW 1- I liked MFW K, but it had too many projects so towards halfway we cut out to only what we wanted to do that week and the material halfway began to be way too light, we love the structure and idea of it but looking at TM for 1st it seems really light in everything but phonics, which we have AAR and ETC for

Biblioplan- this seems like the best fit for us so far but I’d still have to mesh it with something to work for us. Not sure what or if there’s a better option? 

if you were able to read through- thank you!!! Any thoughts or advice especially on history, Bible and if we should be adding something for Langauge Arts (WWE, grammar?) I’m trying not to go too crazy planning the what next or mapping out too far haha

I say yes, you are overthinking some parts of it. 🙂  On do you start now, break for summer or do light summer then pick up in the fall full force, or put it away, do fun other things for now like reading/writing/unit studies/free sources/games/whatever, then start at the beginning from the fall is totally up to you.  Personally I lean towards starting it fresh in the fall if we can.  Plenty of times we pick up where we left off, but that is generally because we didn't finish, not because we finished early then started a new thing.  It is just always nice to start at the beginning when you can to jump start a year, IMO.  Plus at the end of the year, it can feel fresh to do something different and fun to round out the end of the year as the weather warms up. 

On what cycle, what curriculum to use for Bible for you that is totally up to you.  Do you do SOTW, Ambleside Online, MFW, or any other? It doesn't really matter.  You pick what looks good to you.  I have often looked at Ambleside Online and thought it seemed like such a nicely planned out curriculum and that it might be nice to use it, to stay on a schedule rather than our loose WTM studies sometimes.  But in the end, I started with SOTW and have continued through four year cycles,  because I have kids of all ages, so I wanted to continue my odd with what we were doing because we had done it so long.  The next one only makes sense to do have done her alongside the same thing because they are only a couple of years apart.  So when I folded the youngest in (ten year age gap,) it just so happened that we had just finished a cycle and were to due to start a new cycle her first grade year, making it perfect to do the 4 year cycles all over again. I have experience with SOTW.  I have done it so many times through and love it. Even though I sometimes want a change, it is just easier to stick with what I know is good and what I know how to use.  You don't have to stick with things though.  You can really try something then switch.  I just am not a big switcher once I have started something.  You aren't locked into the whole of a child's education by what you start in 1st grade! On the other hand, consistency is nice, so you wouldn't want to jump around every year.  

• Like 1

For history, I'd check out beautiful feet. They have around the world with picture books and Early American for 1st. You pick 1. We are working on early American now, and love it. There are nice longer meaty picture books to read and copywork or coloring to do and some oral questions. I really like it for lower elementay.

WWE is scripted, so if you like that you could go that route. You could also "just do copywork" and "oral narration" on your own. Simply Charlotte Mason has a book called hearing, relling reading, and writing that guides you with that. I also think that Baur has an older book, perharps still has it, that is a "make your own" WWE like thing.

I wouldn't really add in grammar till 2nd or 3rd grade. My plan is light grammar till Middle school then do analytic grammar. There are lots of routes here-lots of personal preference. I also like MFW language lessons for today. It starts in 2nd too. It has copywork, narration, oral composition, some written composition, light grammar... Another on to check might be cottage press primer 1, but probably not till 2nd grade.

I would continue AAR over the summer and some math, perhaps just finish RS a then start fresh in the fall. Its more exciting and everyone needs a break;) Add in lots of outdoor nature study and art projects and enjoy having a little!

• Like 1

Thank you! I’m sure he will be fine but I always feel like if I don’t do or add the “right thing” I failed his whole education from the start haha maybe I’m thinking that I need to add in stuff that really doesn’t need to be added in until later in elementary. Every time I look at books I get more confused or think I need to add in just one more thing. 1st grade seems to be this starting point for all the more meaty work so I worry if I skip over something important that might mess up the whole line of elementary learning. I will look into beautiful feet and more of the wtm books- also Ambleside too! I have another older DD I’ll be adding to home school next year so maybe we will try to add in for the rest of this year and just start fresh in the fall as official 1st grade work. 

• Like 2

I can see how much effort and energy you have poured into this.  What a great foundation you are giving him!  You do already mention "burn out" though, and I'm glad you gave yourselves permission to take time off and reset when that happened.

It will get busier as he gets older - days are coming when you'll be juggling extracurriculars, part time jobs, possible online classes and more subjects, not to mention any other kids you may have or any interest you might have in going back to work.  I think the best antidote to that future busyness is not to load up your plates (especially his plate) with lots of things now, but rather to cover the basics well (reading, math, handwriting) and use any extra time, energy and enthusiasm you have now to self-educate.  I think you've already been doing some of that - you identify yourself as a CM-influenced homeschooler.  Perhaps you might read some homeschooling books: Susan Schaeffer Macauley's For the Children's Sake, or Karen Glass' Know and Tell: The Art of Narration, or Charlotte Mason's huge Home Education.  The Well Trained Mind of course, and you will find a list of classical titles graded easy, moderate and hard at classicalreader.com (put out by Classical Academic Press; filter by grade and choose "teacher resources").  I recently enjoyed Greta Eskridge's Adventuring Together, as a very light read, enthusiastically promoting regular hikes, explorations and other small adventures with kids and fellow homeschoolers.

You mention worries about high school.  Nothing you choose or don't choose in first grade (or indeed fourth grade) is going to make or break his high school career, but your own confidence and skill as a homeschooler will affect the options available to you then.  Is math a weak point for you?  If it remains a weak point, you will probably outsource high school math.  If you want to have the option to teach it yourself, then the time to begin remediating gaps in your own understanding is now.  You might start with Elementary Mathematics for Teachers (a book about the Singapore approach) or LiPing Ma's book mentioned in the Well Trained Mind.  Perhaps literature is the subject that strikes terror into your heart.  This might be a great time to try something like Teaching the Classics by centerforlit.com, and/or join an adult book club to motivate you to read widely and discuss well.

I think taking some of these rabbit trails for yourself will empower you to make decisions from a position of knowledge and skill, and therefore help you feel more confident and relaxed about your choices.  In my own life, I have found it also helps me keep some balance.  If I want to learn something, I can go ahead and do it - it doesn't need to be a school subject where I drag the kids along too.  Over the past five years I've done a smattering of Latin, joined a book club, begun sign language and set aside some time each week to work slowly through Writing With Skill.  I've benefited from what I've learned, and our homeschool has also benefited because the kids are seeing me prioritising education in my own life - it's not just something I "do to" them.  I have recent experience of how hard it is to learn a long list of things, so I know what I'm asking them when I say they need to learn their times tables.  They see me try and fail and get back up again.  They know it is true when I respond to their grumbling by pointing out that I do as many hours of school work as they do plus more.

In your shoes, I would finish this year's work and then give your son an extended break, starting grade 1 subjects fresh in the new school year.  If you need a break too, take it; otherwise, put your energy into "professional development".  Next year might look like:

Math: Right Start A

Language Arts:  All About Reading, All About Spelling, Writing With Ease 1 or a Charlotte Mason copybook, lots of reading together

French: continue Language Sprout

History: pick any one of a Sonlight core, SOTW, Biblioplan or just reading together from topics that interest you, and don't worry about the "cycle".  There is no one right way and middle school courses will not assume that any specific content has been covered

Science: Elemental Science or Sassafrass, or just keep your nature walks going and read books & watch docos of interest throughout the year

Music: continue piano lessons

All the "gravy" subjects: folded into a morning basket type set up where you either formally loop the subjects or simply pick the three things that are most appealing to you on the day

Mother culture: pick a couple of things that you want to work on for you.

• Like 5

@caffeineandbooks says it so well. Know that you are not alone-worrying that we're not doing enough is something we are all fighting. Also I've found that that feeling somewhat improves as they get older (my oldest is only 4th, so hopefully it continues improving). It helps me to go back to the very basics: what is my overall goal for my children. For me it is that they grow to be godly young men. So what can I do to support that? Firstly, teach them the Bible. Secondly, I can educate them in all of the basics so that they will be prepared for whatever direction God takes them (and specialize in that when they get older).  That's all I'll say-the others upstream have given you good advice too, especially with curriculum options. It's way way more likely that you'll choose the right path with curriculum than the wrong path. There are so many good choices. Sure you might need to adjust and switch at some point, but you will not be ruining him for life. 

Edited by LauraClark
  • Like 3

WWE is always good.  I used that with my kids.

There's always Heart of Dakota which is similar to MFW.  An all in one. I have not used heart of dakota.

Also check out the good and the beautiful.  The LA is free.  But it  is a lot of paper to print out.  It really is a pretty program. 

For history, I like story of the world and Notgrass.  Notgrass has a gentle American History program that I like.  But, Story of the World may be more exciting depending on your child. 

I started critical thinking at that age.  Books from the critical Thinking company.  Mindbenders is a favorite over here. 

These things don't take long.  Mindbenders can be done once a week.  Handwriting 5 mins a day.

Also, I think it is good that you are planning ahead for the next few years.  I wish i did that.  A lay out of the different sciences each year, etc. 

I've also had to change my approach on what I teach.  Using a different program because the child likes to learn in a different way.  This happened with spelling. 

This year don't forget to have fun and read lots of books together! 

Welcome!
I know it is normal to worry if we're "doing enough" when we first get started, but I'd say you have SO much going that there is NOTHING you need to add at the moment for 1st grade. 😉 You have everything covered and then some... Culling from your initial post, here is the list of school subjects and what you're using:

- Language Arts:
    - Reading = All About Reading
    - Phonics = Explode the Code
    - Spelling = ---- [considering adding All About Spelling]
    - Handwriting = Channie's, Handwriting Without Tears
    - Writing = informal sentence a day [and considering adding something formal]
    - Grammar = ---- [considering adding something formal]
- Math = Rightstart
- Science = Elemental Science
- History/Geography = 180 Days workbooks; Expedition Earth; SOTW 1
- For. Lang.: French = Sprout, games, reading
- Art/Music Appreciation = greatest artists, composers
- Art = Artistic Pursuits
- Music: Piano = Revolutionary Piano Method

Extras
- Speech help = outsourced OT
- PE or active time = informal
- Nature Study = informal
- Typing = Keyboarding Without Tears
- Elective = Real Kids Cooking Class
- Bible = Long Story Short 

Compare to what Ist grade "formal academics" is all about:

"Formal Academics":
- solidifying Reading
- practicing Handwriting
- practicing phonics in support of Reading and Spelling
- introductory Math concepts (adding, subtracting, comparing, patterns, telling time
- lots of good Read-Alouds of all kinds

OPTIONAL: Spelling, Grammar, Writing
OPTIONAL: History, Geography, Science
OPTIONAL: Latin / Foreign Language
OPTIONAL: Logic / Critical Thinking
OPTIONAL: Art, Music, and other Fine Arts

Other Than Academics:
- time for exploration, hands-on activities, games, imaginative play, cooking or baking with a parent, etc.
- developing good household routines (get up, make bed; take breakfast dishes to the sink; start the school day, etc.)
- incorporating regular age appropriate chores

So you have things WAY covered. 😉  

As far as adding in more LA -- MANY families do not start formal Spelling until grade 2 or 3 (depends on student readiness); or formal Grammar until grade 3, 4, or 5; or formal Writing until grade 3 or 4 -- so I wouldn't worry about adding those in until at least next fall, and probably not until 2nd grade, unless he's really ready for one of those LA areas.

As far as History/Geography -- Is there a reason you want to jump ship from SOTW to something like Biblioplan or SL? If what you're using is working, then I'm always of the opinion of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Possibly add the Activity Guide that goes with SOTW -- that has ideas for books, as well as activities. If he loves the Geography workbook, then keep going with that; there are a lot of great Geography workbooks out there.

You're doing great! My only advice would be to relax and enjoy the journey -- they are only young once, and you're right at the beginning of a super fun age/stage! 😄 Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, millie0312 said:

...1st grade seems to be this starting point for all the more meaty work so I worry if I skip over something important that might mess up the whole line of elementary learning...

No. HIGH SCHOOL is the starting point for all the more meaty work. I might also make a case for 6th/7th grade being a "step up" point into more "meat" from elementary grades, and also 4th grade is a bit of a "step up" point from early elementary level of work into mid/late elementary level of work. 

So there is NO WAY you can fail or mess it up right now for 1st grade, with YEARS to go before you hit a real "step up" point --  and esp. no way you can fail or mess it up right now, not with everything you are doing. 😄 

5 hours ago, millie0312 said:

... I always feel like if I don’t do or add the “right thing” I failed his whole education from the start...
... I worry if I skip over something important that might mess up the whole line of elementary learning...

Again, no. There is no way to take a wrong first step that ruins an entire 12-years of primary/secondary education. 😉 

Also, everyone makes mistakes -- we LEARN from mistakes. 😉 So we have ALL picked a program (or 3 or 4 😉 ) that does not work for a particular child. Or have had a late-bloomer who isn't ready for our great plans yet. Or  have life circumstances mid-year that mean having to throw all of those pain-staking great plans and programs out the window and "survival school" for awhile... Kids are resilient and they bounce back. Homeschooling moms need to relax so they can be resilient, too, if/when that time comes. 😉

And finally, there WILL be gaps. Every single person has knowledge gaps. There are WAYYYY too many topics and WAYYY too much info for ANYONE to be able to learn it ALL. Especially a kid, and especially in only 12 years.

It's okay to relax -- you have a great schedule going and a good plan for next year. Enjoy your journey! 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lori D. said:

So there is NO WAY you can fail or mess it up right now for 1st grade, with YEARS to go before you hit a real "step up" point --  and esp. no way you can fail or mess it up right now, not with everything you are doing. 😄 

Honestly, one could probably unschool 1st grade entirely and you still wouldn't have "messed up" as long as you read some fun books together and did some counting and grocery store arithmetic. That's about the opposite of what we do over here, but it's certainly just FINE. 

As an example, I sent DD8 to kindergarten. DD8 learned a negative amount of information in kindergarten, as far as I can tell. And it was still FINE. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

...I sent DD8 to kindergarten. DD8 learned a negative amount of information in kindergarten, as far as I can tell. And it was still FINE. 

So sorry for your DD#1. Sadly, I think that is all too common these days.

The emphasis in public schools has become completely backwards -- force "rigor" and academics into increasingly lower grades when it is NOT developmentally appropriate and just stresses out the kids and turns them off HARD from learning. Kinder needs to be about a lot of exploration, hands-on, imaginative play, discovery... NOT seat work and "already reading" and a paragraph of writing. 😵

It's so easy for homeschool parents to panic and get swept away with that public school thinking, and miss the lovely, wonderful opportunities in the preK / Kinder / 1st grade years.

Glad your DD#2 is going to have a very different (better!) kindergarten experience!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

So sorry for your DD#1. Sadly, I think that is all too common these days.

The emphasis in public schools has become completely backwards -- force "rigor" and academics into increasingly lower grades when it is NOT developmentally appropriate and just stresses out the kids and turns them off HARD from learning. Kinder needs to be about a lot of exploration, hands-on, imaginative play, discovery... NOT seat work and "already reading" and a paragraph of writing. 😵

Honestly... we had kind of the opposite problem! Well, not exactly. I would have been OK either with a flexible teacher who'd do useful academics with DD8 (she's accelerated and was more than ready) or with a teacher who just kept everything totally playful and had basically no academics at all. We actually looked for the "totally playful" option, because we knew that the chance of finding a school that was going to accommodate a kid who'd been reading chapter books since age 3 wasn't high, and we always planned to supplement after school.

And we had a FABULOUS preschool experience. It was Reggio Emilia, I guess, but more importantly, her teacher was incredibly sweet and bright and supportive. So they played in the mud and made stuff and worked on social skills, but also, DD8 wanted to teach herself to write during free time and to read chapter books during "rest time," and her teacher was so excited to help her out. 

And then we got to kindergarten. We explicitly looked for a kindergarten that was kind of preschool-flavored: where the academics wouldn't be forced on them, but the teachers would be supportive if the kids were interested. Instead, what we got was a classroom where the teacher was militantly against acceleration 😕 . She was good with the kids, and they had lovely classroom pets, and DD8 enjoyed the science demonstrations, but her teacher wouldn't let her read the books she wanted because they were "too hard," and midway through the year, DD8 starting coming home and saying "math is hard," not because she couldn't do the arithmetic, but because she was forced to draw a picture for additions she already knew every single time. Her teacher never even checked what she already knew and didn't realize she was bored until a parent-teacher conference in the spring 😞 . 

Plus, they had WAY too much writing. They were supposed to make little books, and let me tell you... kindergarteners, even accelerated ones, can't write coherent stories with a plot, lol. DD8 ended kindergarten with the impression that she hated writing. Plus, she had started reversing her letters, which she hadn't done at the beginning of kindergarten! (She taught herself to write during preschool and all.) See what I mean about "learned a negative amount," lol? 

11 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

It's so easy for homeschool parents to panic and get swept away with that public school thinking, and miss the lovely, wonderful opportunities in the preK / Kinder / 1st grade years.

Glad your DD#2 is going to have a very different (better!) kindergarten experience!

I hope she does! She's also very accelerated, so we've basically started on her kindergarten work already. She loves it, though, and it's only half an hour a day. And the rest of the time, we play and make puzzles and read together and she plays with her sister 🙂 . 

She misses having friends her age, though -- she also liked preschool. So I hope we can go back to classes sometime relatively soon... 

For first grade we read lots of picture books, and reread lots of picture books.

we used science in the beginning, we are now on the third book in that series.(after a flop with apologia)

story of the world ancient times was a huge hit that year. We utilized the reading list in the student book and added famous figures cut outs. The library was our best friend that year!

Language lessons for today, we stuck with that until we were ready to start grammar island series. I still miss it sometimes. We also did a study guide from total language plus for the courage of Sarah noble. We just did the parts we liked best and it was really enjoyable.(regrets were first language lessons, and Tgtb that I sadly tried 3 levels before giving up.)

math we used Danika mckeller's do not open this math book. A little bit of math mammoth, do not open this math book had a higher fun value and was more colorful.

hand writing heroes from teachers pay teachers.

Abcya games, there are tons.

And lots of educational tv. Mostly neat geo as I have a animal lover.

One of the best things about homeschooling vs a fantastic local school is TIME. Both home and brick and mortar schools can provide excellent academics, but only at home is there an ocean of time to create and invent and be bored and self-entertain. As long as your (extensive!) plans don't become burdensome and take up all your child's free time, it sounds like they are all going great! My only concern is that mama needs to be relaxing and breathing if homeschooling will be a joyful and long term endeavor. You only need to be working on what's working now. Your child will be so different in 2 years, and 4 years, that you can't possibly plan on finding the perfect curriculum plan for him long term. Just go with what is working now and you can sub in a new thing that looks like a better fit if needed. But don't get stressed beyond that.

For reference, my first grader does a little math and handwriting and phonics most days, and listens to audiobooks and classical music stories, and that's about it. We do read alouds and games at night, and get some outside time daily, and I provide lots of craft supplies, dress up clothes, blocks, etc. But that's it. There's so much time for the rest, which I know because I have older kids working at a much higher level. They don't need to get there so soon. Try to give them time to self-entertain and problem solve and fail and try again. That's what will eventually differentiate them from their stressed-out and over-scheduled peers.

• Like 1

Everyone else has said everything else so well. I'd only add that I really wouldn't recommend Biblioplan for first grade. I've used it with my DD that works about a 3rd ish grade level (special needs so kind of all over the place) and even then, I thought the text they use for younger kids, was a bit much for her developmental level - even done as a read aloud. Just the level of vocabulary, sentence structure, and the really involved level of detail would be better for more like 5th grade probably. And you aren't going to find too many book selections for first grade. There are some picture books and easy readers that you could do as a read aloud, but recalling off the top of my head, maybe 5-10% of the book selections.... I struggled sometimes even for my DD, who like I said can be read aloud 3rd gradish books.  Biblioplan is great and has so many good resources, and if you were trying to combine with an older sibling, certainly workable, but probably better saved for at least 3rd grade - maybe 4th or 5th. Of course I was using the year 4 plan (modern) - perhaps the Year 1 materials start out a little lower. 

Just my opinion only - your experience may vary. 🙂

I didn’t read all the other comments, only wanted to say that I also started my kinder in MFW K and a month later I tossed it to the side. It was sad really, because $400 down the drain. We then dabbled in Memoria Press K, not a full package because my budget was gone. But It all worked out. 

I have had many of the same quandaries you’ve had for first grade. So you aren’t alone in the overthinking it department. 🙂 As much as I love CM, I won’t be using any CM inspired curriculum. Finding XYZ book was really stressful and expensive for me. That said, I was looking at samples of the Playful Pioneers and A Year of Tales yesterday..... 🤪

I'm not as much of a veteran as some of the posters, but I've taught 1st grade several times now and I think you are doing too much.  Its very tempting to buy new stuff, add one more thing, wonder if you are doing enough.  The more times I teach 1st grade,  the less formal it gets.   You need 3 things- handwriting,  phonics, and math.  That's it!  Everything else should just be reading books.  I don't do a real formal history or science until about 4th or 5th grade.  Younger ones shoukd be able to jump from pirates to jungles, Egyptians to Vikings- just read them books when they are interested in the topic.  Same for science- get some videos and books like the Let's Read and Find Out series and let them pick!  My kids have always paid more attention when they were the ones picking the books.  Kids need lots of time for free play, imagination, arts and crafts, riding bikes and swinging!  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I'm not as much of a veteran as some of the posters, but I've taught 1st grade several times now and I think you are doing too much.  Its very tempting to buy new stuff, add one more thing, wonder if you are doing enough.  The more times I teach 1st grade,  the less formal it gets.   You need 3 things- handwriting,  phonics, and math.  That's it!  Everything else should just be reading books.  I don't do a real formal history or science until about 4th or 5th grade.  Younger ones should be able to jump from pirates to jungles, Egyptians to Vikings- just read them books when they are interested in the topic.  Same for science- get some videos and books like the Let's Read and Find Out series and let them pick!  My kids have always paid more attention when they were the ones picking the books.  Kids need lots of time for free play, imagination, arts and crafts, riding bikes and swinging!  

Totally agree with @busy5mom's wise advice here! 😄 

Another reason for being less formal in the early elementary grades is that you can really burn out a kid on formal academics by doing too much "structured school" and not providing enough support and time for free play, imagination, and informal learning through exploration and discovery.

I can't remember the source at the moment, but I do remember reading several years back about how public school kids who have the big push in public school of structured formal academics in kinder and 1st grades do read earlier, but by grade 4/5 all kids are caught up and reading at similar levels.

The big difference is that the students who had the "rigor" of lots of formal academics in the early grades don't develop the problem-solving skills that the kids who had lots of time for imaginative  play/exploration/discovery. That is a learning skill that specifically develops in the pre-K through 1st grade years. Too much seatwork/worksheets/formal academics in those years actually closes doors in developing those brain areas that utilize those foundational thinking skills in later formal academics. As a result, kids end up being burnt out on school by grade 4-5, and learning turns into "dreaded school" or a "drudge/trudge" from then on. 😢

I know it's scary to be more relaxed in these early years when it's your first child, and when the schools (and sometimes even other homeschoolers) are all screaming about "rigor" and the need for more work at ever increasingly younger ages. But being more relaxed doesn't mean you're not still providing a learning-rich environment, and following your child's lead with books and hands-on activities and educational videos and field trips  when the child expresses an interest in something.

That's where you get to be creative as mom/teacher. 😉 Have a book basket for browsing with books on all kinds of topics. Go to the library every week and let your child pick 10 books -- picture books, stepped readers, books from the children's nonfiction section that looks interesting to the child for you to read aloud, myths and fairy tales, etc. etc. Do a weekly "field trip" (once the pandemic is over) to museums, historical sites, and nature walk/trails. Set up behind-the-scenes tours at a bakery, a dairy farm, a tortilla factory, the grocery store, a bottling factory, whatever is around you. Build things, make things, use kits. Get art supplies and explore. Have FUN!

Wishing a wonderful 1st grade year! Warmest regards, Lori D. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2021 at 8:26 AM, JessinTX said:

Everyone else has said everything else so well. I'd only add that I really wouldn't recommend Biblioplan for first grade. I've used it with my DD that works about a 3rd ish grade level (special needs so kind of all over the place) and even then, I thought the text they use for younger kids, was a bit much for her developmental level - even done as a read aloud. Just the level of vocabulary, sentence structure, and the really involved level of detail would be better for more like 5th grade probably. And you aren't going to find too many book selections for first grade. There are some picture books and easy readers that you could do as a read aloud, but recalling off the top of my head, maybe 5-10% of the book selections.... I struggled sometimes even for my DD, who like I said can be read aloud 3rd gradish books.  Biblioplan is great and has so many good resources, and if you were trying to combine with an older sibling, certainly workable, but probably better saved for at least 3rd grade - maybe 4th or 5th. Of course I was using the year 4 plan (modern) - perhaps the Year 1 materials start out a little lower. 

Just my opinion only - your experience may vary. 🙂

I was considering Biblioplan for 1st, too.  Would you mind to maybe give some examples?  Sorry...reading levels are so subjective, though.   We currently do some chapter books, although basic...think Magic Treehouse, Magic School Bus chapter books, Sophie Mouse, Zoey and Sassafras, etc.  Do you think the books would be too big of a step up?

11 minutes ago, ExpatsinAsia said:

I was considering Biblioplan for 1st, too.  Would you mind to maybe give some examples?  Sorry...reading levels are so subjective, though.   We currently do some chapter books, although basic...think Magic Treehouse, Magic School Bus chapter books, Sophie Mouse, Zoey and Sassafras, etc.  Do you think the books would be too big of a step up?

We are switching from Tapestry of Grace because a lot of the books were intellectually appropriate, but not emotionally appropriate (pictures of organs being pulled out of mummies, graphic pictures of violence, a sister killing her brother to save her love at first sight, etc).  I just felt like it would be too much for her (although if she were older, she might find it really interesting).

Right now, I just take the books that go with a "unit" and we just read them as she chooses them.  They just sit out in a common area.  I think that would be how I would do Biblioplan, too...but I want a good book list.  We live internationally (in a country without English books) and only come to the US for a month, so I want to be able to maximize our library in minimal time. 

Edited by ExpatsinAsia
Added info

On 10/3/2022 at 6:23 PM, ExpatsinAsia said:

I was considering Biblioplan for 1st, too.  Would you mind to maybe give some examples?  Sorry...reading levels are so subjective, though.   

Here is a link to their online samples of the text book Remember the Days for each level.  One days reading assignment would usually be 4-5 pages of the text. There are some pictures and stuff but that is still just like A LOT of words for a first grader to process - and a lot for me to read aloud.  Biblioplan Remember the Days Samples

An example of the literature recommendations from week 2 of the Year 4 curriculum (that's the only one I have). These are the recs. for K-2. 

Readers:

A Picture Book of Florence Nightingale (32pages) - not a reader for first grade (the first two pages include words like imagination, earlier, heroine) - a good read aloud though. 

Clara Barton: Spirit of the Red Cross (48 pages) Beginning Chapters - Step 3 Ready to Read. Again good read aloud - probably not a reader for firsties - maybe a 2nd grader. My special needs 3rd-ish grader read this with help spread out - I think she read like 2 chapters at a time. 

The Little Princess (Classic Starts version) (160 pages) - Spread over 2 weeks - Definitely have to be a read aloud and even still that's a lot of pages to read daily. 

Missionary Reading:

Heroes of History: Clara Barton (32 pages) - my relatively advanced 1st grade reader could probably read this on her own with just a little help. 

Recommended Read Aloud: 

The Great Turkey Walk (208 pages) - Spread over 3 weeks 

Some of the other recommendations that are frequently featured are the Magic Treehouse series (as a optional addition - I don't think I've ever seen it as a main recommendation), If You Were at.../If You Lived... series, the D'Aulaire books. 

We currently do some chapter books, although basic...think Magic Treehouse, Magic School Bus chapter books, Sophie Mouse, Zoey and Sassafras, etc.  Do you think the books would be too big of a step up?

Depends... is he/she reading MTH and Zoey & Sassafrass on their own? Maybe not then. If they are just listening to books of that length, then you would probably be okay to read aloud any of the literature selections, but I'd be prepared to read them all aloud. And even then IMHO the textbook is just a lot, but they do also offer suggestions on pacing of other resources like SOTW and MoH. Maybe those would be better. I'm not intimately familiar with either, but a lot of people seem to use them with their first graders. 

Also if you wanted to do all of the recommended reading - which of course you do not have to do - for example 2 books on Clara Barton are probably not necessary but if you did... You would be reading 4-ish pages of dense text 3x/week. 16 pages of The Little Princess 5x/week. 14 pages The Great Turkey Walk 5x/week. Plus 3 more picture books/readers of 30-50 pages each. Before you do any of the other projects or other activities. That's like a lot of reading to me. Maybe not for you guys???

Content wise I didn't really have any issues. But my older kid that uses it isn't particularly sensitive. 

Don't get me wrong. I really like the curriculum. I think the Family Guides are awesome. In addition to the basic recommendations I outlined above there are so many other resources for movies, crafts, hands on activities, maps, and I really love the timeline figures. I'm less crazy about the text book. 

It is not a BAD curriculum. I just think it would be BETTER for an older kid. I've looked extensively at Tapestry of Grace also and have the same thoughts on them but I've never purchased it sooo.... 

If you had big kids and were trying to keep everyone together I'd say make it work. But for myself if I was trying to do this with my current first grader, I would end up NOT doing so much of it to make the workload more appropriate that I'd feel like I wasted my money if I'd bought it just for her. 

I hope that long-winded response was helpful. 😋

Edited by JessinTX