Menu

R&S Bible question!

I am looking at grades 5-8 R&S Bible for DS10. Does anyone know if nonresistance is weaved in or not? I know it's in their reading and history, but what about Bible? If the focus is on a chronological overview of the Bible through Bible stories, comprehension, vocabulary, customs, ect that would be exactly what I'm looking for.

I can't answer your exact question because I haven't done it.  But was going to suggest looking at Memoria Press' Christian studies.  It uses the Golden Children's Bible for the reading, and can be used as your reading curriculum or just use it for Bible only.  That is what we used around those ages for a year or two.  

• Like 1

I have the 6th grade course, and no, I don't see anything in it about non-resistance.  Most of it is straight up factual type questions (which king did ___ according to ___ verse, etc.) ; the Bible truth type questions are more about character traits such as  humility, obedience, hypocrisy, etc.  Nothing like non-resistance.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I can't answer your exact question because I haven't done it.  But was going to suggest looking at Memoria Press' Christian studies.  It uses the Golden Children's Bible for the reading, and can be used as your reading curriculum or just use it for Bible only.  That is what we used around those ages for a year or two.  

I looked at this before posting. We actually have an older edition of the Golden Children's Bible from when DH was younger. We used it to remediate and improve reading fluency for our adopted oldest when he was younger and in public school and continue to use it as bedtime reading for all our children when they are little. Unfortunately, DS10 would not likely handle MP's method of copywork and flashcards well at all. He hates flashcards with a passion. Also, he knows how to use his Bible and I want to improve upon that with added bits about the way life was during those times. He started CLE in the beginning and surprisingly retained a lot about things like wine making, dying yarn and weaving on a loom, the different tools used, types of clothing worn, ect in addition to the stories themselves. I would go back to CLE but cannot remember if they weave in the non-resistance. I seem to remember they do, just not often enough to recognize if you aren't looking for it.

Edited by Servant4Christ

19 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I have the 6th grade course, and no, I don't see anything in it about non-resistance.  Most of it is straight up factual type questions (which king did ___ according to ___ verse, etc.) ; the Bible truth type questions are more about character traits such as  humility, obedience, hypocrisy, etc.  Nothing like non-resistance.

Thankyou. I think I'll buy the TMs and go through them since there are copies of the workbook pages inside, too. If I like it, I can purchase workbooks and tests later.

• Like 1

I spoke to a very helpful gentleman from R&S who, much to my surprise, literally pulled out the TMs for grades 5-8 and started going through them for me. Lol. He said if nonresistance is brought up it would be mostly in the TMs, not the student workbooks so it can be omitted easily enough. He cannot promise it won't show up briefly at some point, but IF it does it would most likely in grade 8 from what he could see.

With this new info, I started checking the upper grade samples of CLE and found nonresistance brought up in grade 7. 😞

Edited by Servant4Christ

Still investigating.... I received a call back from CLE and was told that some (not a lot) of nonresistance is taught specifically beginning in 700. I may order the TMs to see just how much and if I can maybe edit the content ahead of time. 

Edited by Servant4Christ

13 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

What do you guys mean by non resistance?  By the sounds of R&S I might be interested in this.

6 hours ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

R&S and CLE are Mennonite-owned companies. They don't believe in going to war. https://www.mennoniteusa.org/who-are-mennonites/what-we-believe/confession-of-faith/peace-justice-and-nonresistance/

R&S and CLE are both great companies. I guess I should've specified more than just nonresistance in my original post, because I look for more than just conscientious objection to war. I look specifically for Armenian doctrine because we interpret the scriptures differently in more than just that one area. Head coverings and jewelry are 2 other examples. Thankfully, none of these are salvation issues thus we use and enjoy many of their products. Nonresistance (not always specifically labeled but regularly alluded to) shows up mostly in History and Reading so I've found other curriculum to better fit our needs for these subjects. The no jewelry thing is actually in R&S grade 4 health. Nothing we've encountered has been offensive, but can be confusing for younger children so I research thoroughly. Older children are more capable of appreciating/understanding our doctrinal differences.

Edited by Servant4Christ