Menu

Pillow recommendation after broken neck?

AbcdeDooDah

My husband broke his neck in September and has healed without surgery. He is still having a hard time sleeping, though. Our old pillows are so uncomfortable. He sleeps on both sides and his back. I'm guessing he needs more support but not sure what/how. I'll take any recommendations, thanks!

The very best pillow for support IMO is latex foam.  I used to be able to get them for $35 each at JC Penney or Sears, but they seem to have gone WAY up in price!  Here is an "inexpensive" one at Amazon.  They do come in soft, medium, and firm.  I think medium is just right, but YMMV and it's a lot to pay if you get it wrong.

My husband really loves a hotel-quality feather pillow I got him for a Christmas gift after a stay at the Hyatt Regency in Orlando.  I copied the pillow manufacturer off the tag in the hotel and found it online.  It IS very comfy.  Here's a link to that one.

FWIW, my chiropractor recommends sleeping on your side with an extra pillow between your knees to keep your spine in alignment.

Good luck!

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

The very best pillow for support IMO is latex foam.  I used to be able to get them for $35 each at JC Penney or Sears, but they seem to have gone WAY up in price!  Here is an "inexpensive" one at Amazon.  They do come in soft, medium, and firm.  I think medium is just right, but YMMV and it's a lot to pay if you get it wrong.

Pillows are so individual it's almost impossible to make a recommendation. But for myself--I can't imagine anything other than a latex foam pillow. I got one several years ago and have never looked back. I did notice on that Amazon listing it says free returns, so I guess they will take back pillows. BB&B will too, I think. I know they used to.

• Like 2

After a whiplash injury I needed a thinner pillow for back sleeping and thicker for side sleeping. Currently I have two synthetic pillows, and switch to the right height whenever I turn over. The other pillow goes in front of me when side sleeping (unless I'm spooning dh) to prevent me from falling forward from that position (that's especially painful for my neck). I also have a pillow between my knees when on my side, for a total of three pillows!

Over the summer, though, we were at a rental house that had a fairly thick feather pillow that was fabulous for my neck, partly because it was both supportive and easy to smoosh the feathers to modify the support. My neck was so happy that week! I looked at some at the store but they weren't quite right. I might try the pillow @Amy in NHrecommended, and wonder if it's similar to the one I liked so much. 

Has he done PT? Strengthening my core, shoulders, back and neck, and maintaining flexibility through PT or modified yoga, also help a ton. It kind of blows me away how having a flexible back relieves so much pressure on my neck. I don't know what that would look like with a break, though, and of course he needs to work with professionals. I also needed to add supportive back cushions in both of our cars, and now have recliners for reading and watching TV. And ergonomic office setup.

I hope he finds something that works well for him. There will probably be trial and error but it's well worth it if it helps him find good support. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

My husband really loves a hotel-quality feather pillow I got him for a Christmas gift after a stay at the Hyatt Regency in Orlando.  I copied the pillow manufacturer off the tag in the hotel and found it online.  It IS very comfy.  Here's a link to that one.

FWIW, my chiropractor recommends sleeping on your side with an extra pillow between your knees to keep your spine in alignment.

Good luck!

He keeps talking about the down pillows from a recent hotel stay. I feel like they would be too squishy but he said he slept well. I will check out the link. 

Thanks for the tip on the pillow between the knees. I'll pass it on to him.