Menu

Can you recommend an Earth Science curriculum?

My daughter will be in 9th next year.  She is not a huge science fan (she prefers languages).  She does need Biology and Anatomy because she plans to go into Speech Pathology.  I wanted to start her on an Earth Science curriculum that will not be too overwhelming.  She is a perfectionist and taking a heavy load with 2 languages, piano, choir and dance.  Can you recommend a good curriculum for us to do together for a mom that is not great at science or a good online curriculum?  Thank you so very much!

13 minutes ago, borninthesouth said:

My daughter will be in 9th next year.  She is not a huge science fan (she prefers languages).  She does need Biology and Anatomy because she plans to go into Speech Pathology.  I wanted to start her on an Earth Science curriculum that will not be too overwhelming.  She is a perfectionist and taking a heavy load with 2 languages, piano, choir and dance.  Can you recommend a good curriculum for us to do together for a mom that is not great at science or a good online curriculum?  Thank you so very much!

Mr. Q Advanced Earth Science is listed as being for ages 12-18. I would call it a strong middle school course or a light high school course.

We have used almost all of Mr. Q's courses, and my kids really like the casual, conversational tone...and the pictures with the goofy captions.

• Like 1

On PAGE 5 of the big pinned thread "High School Motherlode #2" at the top of the High School Board are links to some great past threads on various science topics (listed under the heading of "High School Subjects/Courses"). Here are the specific past threads on Earth Science that are linked on that pinned thread -- lots of great experience, plus suggestions for resources and links to resources:

Geology / Earth Science
Suggestions for Earth Science text and curriculum materials?
Anyone know of an online rigorous Earth Science course
Earth Science for 9th grader 
Earth Science?
Mr Q's Advanced Earth Science or Oak Meadow - opinions?
How do I add labs to Earth Science?

As a side note: since your DD is not a science fan and has a heavy load of languages and arts for 9th grade, another idea might be to go ahead with the Biology she will need, but just do 1/2 credit of it in 9th grade, and the remaining 1/2 credit in 10th grade. That would give her 11th and 12th grades to slowly move up to speed on Sciences and complete 2 more Science credits for a total of 3 Science credits. Many colleges only require 3 Science credits for admission, and that would give her twice the time to complete the Biology at her perfectionist rate, while simultaneously working on a Science she will need for her current career field interest.

Also, by 12th grade she may have changed her mind about career focus.

Or by 12th grade, she may be ready for dual enrollment and could take college science in each semester of 12th grade, with each science = 1 credit. So she would graduate with a total of 4 science credits (0.5 credit in each of 9th & 10th, 1.0 credit in 11th, and 2.0 credits in 12th). Another possibility: she might even find a science through dual enrollment that is more directly related to Speech Pathology. If so, that would be a double bonus of an extra science through dual enrollment AND a Science directly related to the future possible career field of Speech Pathology...

Just a thought! 😄 

ETA:
Also, have you seen this Recommended List of Prerequisite Course Content Areas Related to SLP Certification Standards?

That might give you some ideas of direction for:
- Science (definitely they want Biology + Physical Science that is either Chemistry or Physics)
- Math (they suggest doing Statistics if you can)
- and Social and Behavioral Sciences (usually called Social Studies at the high school level) -- Psychology is one of the courses listed that could be very useful prep. And there is a high school AP Psychology test that might work well for her...

Just a few more thoughts. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1