Menu

Podcasts recommendations

Amethyst

I know there was a podcast recommendation thread not too long ago, but I think I’m looking for something different than that poster. I’m looking for recommendations for ME, not to listen with the family. During the pandemic, I walked for hours and listened to podcasts that I wouldn’t have thought I would like but surprisingly did. 

Work Life with Adam Grant (I was laid off and pining for work)

Happiness Lab (cuz pandemic sadness)

Nice White Parents 

But now I can’t seem to find a good podcast series that grabs me. I don’t want true crime. I tried Brene Brown and that didn’t do it for me. Sure there’s This American Life but I’m looking for something new. Not newsy like The Daily - I do listen to lots of news elsewhere. 

Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

A favorite here is 99% Invisible which delves into the design of things all around us--started out (years ago) highlighting architecture but now goes far, far beyond:  real money, movie money, acoustics, why car seats can slide forward and back, credit card beginnings, and so much more....

• Thanks 2

Wow, so many awesome podcasts -- thank you everybody.

I'm a podcast nut. I really like the Tim Ferris show. He only interviews people who've had incredible success and tries to deconstruct what made them so successful. There are a billion shows but my favorites:

• Hugh Jackman
  • Jerry Seinfeld
  • Steven Pressfield
  • Katie Haun -- my favorite of all time, she is so interesting!!

Every show is different so I hope you won't judge him by just one show. Also he does "long form" so they're 1.5 hours to two hours long. I don't usually listen all at once.

I love the Life coach podcast by Brooke Castillo -- you don't have to be a lifecoach to love this podcast. BUT she's great until about show 306 and then her podcasts get kind of boring and market(y). But 1 through 306: awesome. I have a great relationship w/ my sister today because of her podcast.

Also, a really short podcast, but good: The Daily Creative by Tod Henry. They're three to five minutes long. Topics are like:

• Share Your Point of View Without Being Unkind
  • How to Know When to Pivot or Quit
  • Becoming Rejection Proof
  • Turning Information into Wisdom

Thanks for writing such a great thread!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My go to podcast during covid has been ...

http://thehistorychicks.com/

Each episode is about a woman in history (or sometimes if they have enough material, there may be 2 episodes).  It's 2 middle aged moms chatting.  I've walked hundreds of miles catching up on these episodes.  It's a huge variety of women - from Cleopatra to Sojourner Truth to Shirley Temple to Jane Austen.  

Taking notes for later!   

• Thanks 1

I also really enjoyed Nice White Parents and recommended it to pretty much everyone I know. 

My current favorites (some of which may skew too much to the "news" side for your tastes):

Marketplace

Make Me Smart

Planet Money

Pop Culture Happy Hour

You're Wrong About

Maintenance Phase

You Must Remember This

Rough Translation

Bag Man

The Uncertain Hour

The Last Archive

American Scandal

(I walk a lot, too.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey! I just wanted to followup and say thanks for all these suggestions. Obviously, I haven’t listened to all of them yet, but I did just finish the 8-part series Bag Man and it was great! So thanks for the recommendation and I want to suggest it for anyone. Great little slice of history that I was only vaguely aware of. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Hey! I just wanted to followup and say thanks for all these suggestions. Obviously, I haven’t listened to all of them yet, but I did just finish the 8-part series Bag Man and it was great! So thanks for the recommendation and I want to suggest it for anyone. Great little slice of history that I was only vaguely aware of. 

I loved Bag Man! I'm adding to my to be listened to list from this thread too, so thank you for starting it!

American History Tellers is a neat one I started recently

Stuff You Should Know is my current favorite - they touch on so many topics! Just in the past few days: Mermaids: Not a real thing, Why is the Equal Rights Amendment still not ratified? What will Farming 4.0 look like?, How Hurricanes Work, Why are so many disembodied feet washing ashore in British Columbia?

• Like 1