Menu

Online g3 Paragraph Town 6 wk class experience?

RootAnn

Can anyone tell me what OnlineG3's Paragraph Town 6 wk seminar class is like? How's the teacher? What level of writing should you come in at & at what level is it a waste of time to do? How much work? Is it easy for a kid to slide through the class without learning stuff? Is it run well or kinda crazy?

I'm figuring this is the best place to ask. @SeaConquest?  

I'm asking for a crisis homeschooler, not one of my kids, FWIW. Thanks!!

This kid is technically 5th grade but her language arts level is basically 4th grade because of the interruptions in schooling due to covid.

I've never used MCT materials & my gifted kid was in high school when she took OnlineG3 classes. This kid would thrive with some live class time & could definitely use help with writing good paragraphs. But if the class is going to be much younger kids (like OnlineG3 generally skews in my experience) or not valuable, I don't want to recommend it.

Oh gosh. I want to say that Sacha took that in the spring of 4th grade, I think? I don't remember anything one way or the other. We have always been fans of OG3 and MCT, so I assume it was fine. The following year (5th, I think) was when he took some high school level Bravewriter classes -- one in persuasive writing and then another in research, as I recall. He was able to pass the essay portion of the California High School Proficiency Exam (a high school diploma equivalent that enables him to enroll in community college classes) in the fall of 5th grade, when he was 10, with just that OG3 Paragraph Town class and that one Bravewriter persuasive writing class as his only formal writing classes at that point, so they must have done the job.

ETA: Just to compare the Davidson Academy Explore composition classes, which are "middle school" level, he is now expected to critically interact with texts and philosophies I didn't see until college. My poor kid has never worked so hard. 😞

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Thanks 1