Menu

Math for first grade

Janeway

My 5 yr old has been watching lessons with my 3rd grader and seems to be retaining a lot. He can add two digit numbers in his head, understands what fractions are, and multiplies numbers that are small or are 10. So, 3 times 4 or 10 times 9. He understands the concept of 100 times something and a 1000 times something.  He loves math right now because it is fun and more of a game. He is my last child and I do not wish to spend tons of money buying a bunch of new stuff. I already have Singapore Math Primary US edition. I have all levels of textbooks and then level 1 of work book for him. Should I just use this? Or still try to aim at making things like a game and just do our own thing? Or is there a different program I should consider?

FWIW, I did SM1 with my son at 4.5. I don't see why not as long as you keep it paced to where he is engaged and enjoys it.

If you want to add in games, consider getting Kitchen Table Math and using those activities alongside.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1